Ebola update - WHO
/
2:56
/
MP4
/
338.2 MB
Download

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

WHO’s representative in DRC, Dr Anne Ancia, told reporters in Geneva that there are more than 500 suspected cases including 130 suspected deaths, but that only 30 cases have been confirmed in the country so far.

The agency is working closely with the authorities and rushing more testing kits to eastern DRC to identify cases of infection of Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola virus for which there are no vaccines or therapeutics.

“We have significant uncertainty about the number of infections and how far the virus has spread,” Dr Ancia said.

Speaking from Bunia in Ituri province, where cases were initially detected, Dr Ancia said that the outbreak has also reached North Kivu, with confirmed cases in Butembo and Goma. Uganda has also confirmed two imported cases.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday morning. He has expressed concern about the “scale and speed of the epidemic”.

Uncertainty still surrounds how and where outbreak started.

“I don't think that we have the ‘patient zero’ for now,” said Dr Ancia. “What we know for now is that on 5 May, there was…a person who died in Bunia. The body was brought back [to] Mongbwalu…and put in a coffin. And then the family decided that the coffin was not worth the person. And therefore…they changed the coffin. And then there was the funeral, and it's from where it started.”

What is certain is that there is no approved therapy.

Detection of the initial cases was slowed down by the fact that local tests in Bunia showed negative results for the Zaire strain of Ebola. The wide range of symptoms - fever, fatigue, diarrhoea and vomiting - further complicated the task of making a swift diagnosis, with the additional difficulty that the nosebleeds that are also associated with the disease did not begin until day five of infection, the WHO official explained.

In the end, it was only through tests in Kinshasa that the presence of Bundibugyo virus was finally revealed.

Dr Ancia said that there is a focus on the international level on potential candidate vaccines or treatments which could help fight the outbreak. A WHO technical advisory group was scheduled to meet on Tuesday afternoon “to provide further recommendation to the WHO and its Member States on which potential vaccine should be prioritized”, she explained.

Ervebo, a vaccine against the Zaire Ebola virus, is under consideration, the WHO representative said, but “it would take two months for it to be available”.

While a vaccine could bring additional prevention and protection to the affected populations, the key to containing transmission lies in grassroots work within the communities to raise awareness, fight misinformation and ensure adherence to sanitary measures, especially around funerals.

“If we use coercive measures and the population does not agree, we will see bodies disappear. We will see suspected cases refusing to come to the hospitals and health facilities,” Dr Ancia warned, underscoring health workers’ continuing engagement with schools, churches and community leaders.

WHO is supporting the Government-led response with more than 40 health professionals on the ground and through the deployment of supplies and extra diagnostic capacity, in what remains a “highly complex epidemiological, operational and humanitarian context”, characterized by insecurity and displacement, the WHO representative said.

The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) said on Tuesday that the affected provinces of Ituri and North Kivu are home to more than two million internally displaced people and returnees, while healthcare capacity remains weakened by conflict.

There is also concern for refugees living in the affected areas. In Ituri some 11,000 South Sudanese refugees require preventive assistance while in North Kivu’s capital, the rebel-held city of Goma, more than 2,000 Rwandan and Burundian refugees need sanitary supplies.

The most recent outbreak of the Ebola Zaire virus in DRC ended in December 2025, and the trauma of a major epidemic in North Kivu and Ituri in 2018-19 persists among the population.

Dr Ancia stressed that while it may be two months until a vaccine is available, “it is not two months before the outbreak will be done”.

“Remember the previous one, it took two years,” she warned.

-ENDS-

STORY Ebola update - WHO

TRT: 2:56’’

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/FRENCH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 19 MAY 2026 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Wide reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Anne Ancia, Representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, World Health Organization (WHO): “We have now significant uncertainty about the numbers of infections and how far the virus has spread. As of today, we have more than 500 suspected cases, including 130 suspected deaths that have been reported by the health authorities. So far, 30 cases have been confirmed in the country.”

4. Medium reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalist sin the Press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Anne Ancia, Representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, World Health Organization (WHO): “The outbreaks now affect 10 health zones in Ituri province. It has also reached North Kivu with confirmed cases in Butembo and in Goma. As I mentioned, Uganda has also confirmed two imported cases.”

6. Medium shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Anne Ancia, Representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, World Health Organization (WHO): “I don't think that we have the patient zero for now. What we know for now is that on 5 May, there was, there is a person who died in Bunia. The body was brought back in Mongwalu and the body was put in a coffin. And then the family decided that the coffin was not worth the person. And therefore what they did, they changed the coffin. And then there was the funeral and it's from where it started.”

8. Medium shot: Journalists in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Anne Ancia, Representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, World Health Organization (WHO): “We are also at the international level looking at what candidate vaccines or treatment are available and if any could be of use in this outbreak. There is this afternoon a WHO technical advisory group that will meet to provide further recommendation to the WHO and its member states on which potential vaccine should be prioritized.”

10. Medium shot: Journalists in the Press room.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Anne Ancia, Representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, World Health Organization (WHO): “Erbevo is one of the potential vaccines that is that is looked for eventually be able to come and bring additional prevention and protection among the communities here. Yes, it is. But what I know, it's actually, it would take, what I know from WHO, it would take two months for it to be available.”

12. Medium reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

13. SOUNDBITE (French) – Dr Anne Ancia, Representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, World Health Organization (WHO): “Si on utilise des mesures coercives et que la population n'est pas d'accord, nous allons voir des corps disparaître. Nous allons voir des cas suspects qui vont refuser de venir dans les hôpitaux et dans les infrastructures de santé. Donc, nous travaillons vraiment, je peux vous dire que depuis dimanche que les équipes sont arrivées, nous avons commencé à travailler avec les églises, nous avons travaillé avec les écoles, nous travaillons avec les leaders communautaires, vraiment pour avoir cette mobilisation.”

14. Medium reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens.


Audio Files 1
Download Ebola update - WHO (Edited Story)
Download

Similar Stories

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR ENG FRA

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS

1

1

2

Edited News | UNMAS

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS ENG FRA

Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.

Darfur update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Darfur update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Sudan: ‘History repeating itself’ for Darfur’s children - UNICEF

Mass atrocities in Sudan’s Darfur 20 years ago reverberated as far as Hollywood, but today, a new generation of children faces attacks, hunger and displacement in an emergency largely ignored by the outside world, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.

Gaza update: WHO, UNMAS

1

1

Edited News | WHO , UNMAS

Gaza update: WHO, UNMAS ENG FRA

Desperate and dangerous conditions in Gaza continue to hamper recovery efforts for the wartorn enclave's people, the UN health agency said on Friday, while demining experts warned that they’ve “barely scratched the surface” in assessing the level of contamination of unexploded ordnance.