Hantavirus update - WHO
/
2:08
/
MP4
/
250.4 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO

Deadly hantavirus outbreak is not a new COVID, insists UN health agency

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

“This is not COVID,” a WHO spokesperson told journalists at a briefing in Geneva, as the agency continues to coordinate the response to the deadly outbreak on a cruise liner moored in Cabo Verde.

Three people have died and several others have fallen ill aboard the Dutch-flagged ship the Hondius, prompting a major international public health response involving countries across Europe, Africa and Latin America.

“Let’s not forget from couples who were close…from a flight attendant who handled the sick woman who just shortly after died and was feeling extremely unwell, we get negative test results. That should convince nearly everybody now that this is a dangerous virus, but only to the person who is really infected. And it's the risk to the general population remains absolutely low,” said WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier.

Eight cases of infection have been reported so far, including five laboratory-confirmed infections and three suspected cases linked to the rare Andes strain of hantavirus, according to WHO.

“I need to stress again and again, even those who have been sharing cabins don't seem to be both infected in some cases…it’s not spreading anything close to how COVID was spreading,” Mr. Lindmeier said.

Beyond the Hantius cruise liner at the centre of the outbreak, contact tracing has continued of potentially infected individuals. The Dutch flight attendant who had been in brief contact with one of the ship’s passengers who later died has tested negative for hantavirus, the UN official added.

“It’s following up on everybody. It’s looking into seating lists of planes, of ships, maybe even more tracing somebody's steps, seeing where they would have been or might have been in close contact,” Mr. Lindmeier said.

The UN agency has stressed that the outbreak is very different from the 2020 coronavirus pandemic which killed millions worldwide.

According to WHO, transmission generally requires close and prolonged contact, particularly among household members, intimate partners or healthcare workers. Even so, the wife whose infected husband is being treated in a Swiss hospital “has not presented any symptoms and is self-isolating…So that shows you, again, luckily, apparently the virus is not that contagious, that it easily jumps from person to person, so that's good,” Mr. Lindmeier said.

The first known patient developed symptoms on 6 April and later died aboard the vessel. His wife also became ill and died after being evacuated to South Africa, where laboratory testing confirmed hantavirus infection.

Prior to boarding, the pair had travelled through Argentina, Chile and Uruguay on a birdwatching trip, including visits to sites where the rodent species known to carry the virus is present.

Another passenger died on 2 May and while one man remains in intensive care in South Africa, WHO said his condition is improving. Other patients have been transferred to hospitals in the Netherlands for treatment.

WHO said no passengers or crew currently remaining aboard the ship are showing symptoms.

Hantaviruses are zoonotic viruses carried by rodents and are usually transmitted to humans through contact with infected animals or their urine, saliva or droppings.

The Andes strain, found in parts of Latin America, is the only known hantavirus capable of limited human-to-human transmission.

The outbreak has triggered action under the International Health Regulations, the global framework designed to coordinate responses to cross-border health threats.

WHO said it is working closely with authorities in Cabo Verde, Spain, the Netherlands, South Africa, the United Kingdom and Argentina, alongside the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.

ends

Hantavirus update - WHO

TRT: 2 min 08s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 8 MAY 2026 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Speaker:

  • Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide, UN Geneva flag alley.
  2. Wide, podium speakers, journalists.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “This is not COVID. I know and we all know that we have COVID fresh in our minds still and that's the first connection everybody made, hence the international attention to these cases.”
  4. Cutaway, Press room, UN Geneva.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “I need to stress again and again, even those who have been sharing cabins don't seem to be both infected in some cases. So, the risk remains absolutely low. This is not a new COVID.”
  6. Cutaway, Press room, UN Geneva.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “My feeling is, people are getting less worried now because they realize it's not spreading anything close to how COVID was spreading.”
  8. Cutaway, Press room, UN Geneva.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “Contact tracing is indeed a diligent detective work. It's following up on everybody. It's looking into seating lists of planes, of ships, maybe even more tracing somebody's steps, seeing where they would have been or might have been in close contact.”
  10. Cutaway, Press room, UN Geneva.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “Let's not forget, from couples who were close, wore (inaudible) clothes, from a flight attendant who handled the sick woman who just shortly after died and was feeling extremely unwell, we get negative test results. That should convince nearly everybody now that this is a dangerous virus, but only to the person who is really infected. And its risk to the general population remains absolutely low.”
  12. Cutaway, Press room, UN Geneva.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “The Dutch flight attendant of the flight which had reported symptoms and was tested has been tested negative for hantavirus that we received this morning from the Dutch IHR focal point for the International Health Regulations.”
  14. Cutaway, Press room, UN Geneva.


Audio Files 1
Download Hantavirus update - WHO (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF ENG FRA

Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF

The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday

DRC Ebola update - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA

DRC Ebola update - OCHA ENG FRA

As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.

Ebola DRC update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola DRC update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO

From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNFPA

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA ENG FRA

Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone 

Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO ENG FRA

Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN

As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.

Myanmar crisis:  Human Rights Council probe

2

1

2

Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC

Myanmar crisis: Human Rights Council probe ENG FRA

Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence –  Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.

Peacocks return to UN Geneva

1

6

1

1

Edited News | UNOG

Peacocks return to UN Geneva ENG FRA

In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP ENG FRA

Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP     

Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.

In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.

 

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM

1

1

2

Edited News | IOM

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM ENG FRA

From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams

A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.

Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women ENG FRA

In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water       

As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.