Sudan: ‘History repeating itself’ for Darfur’s children - UNICEF
Mass atrocities in Sudan’s Darfur 20 years ago reverberated as far as Hollywood, but today, a new generation of children faces attacks, hunger and displacement in an emergency largely ignored by the outside world, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.
Sheldon Yett, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) representative in Sudan, told reporters that with the devastating war in Sudan in its fourth year, “history is repeating itself in the darkest possible way”.
“In Darfur, children are being killed and maimed, uprooted from their homes, and pushed into extreme hunger, disease, and trauma,” he said.
Speaking from Port Sudan, Mr. Yett called the situation of children in the western Sudan region “catastrophic” and stressed that across the five Darfur states, more than five million children are facing “extreme deprivation”.
In just the first 90 days of this year, at least 245 children were reportedly killed or injured, he said, adding that the true toll is “likely far higher”.
The Sudan war erupted on 15 April 2023, when fighting broke out between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and their former allies – the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
Today, frontlines are “consistently moving” with active fighting also in the Kordofans and Blue Nile province. And just as in other modern conflicts, attack drones are being used widely with a rare intensity, the UNICEF representative stressed.
This has included drone strikes against humanitarian infrastructure and convoys, with multiple cases recorded over the past few months.
Just last Friday, a truck from the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) carrying emergency shelter kits for displaced people in Tawila came under drone attack in North Darfur.
All the supplies were destroyed, leaving over 1,300 families living in “desperate conditions” without shelter, UNHCR said in a statement on Sunday.
“We've had the feeling that no place is safe,” UNICEF’s Mr. Yett said. “Markets are being hit, schools are being hit, health centres are being hit, trucks carrying our urgently needed humanitarian supplies are being hit. Despite the fact that they're well marked, despite that all parties to the conflict know exactly where our suppliers are going, we talked to all parties and they're still being hit,” he said.
The UNICEF official stressed that the impact of the conflict on children has been most severe in North Darfur’s capital El Fasher. The city’s residents endured an 18-month siege linked to UN-documented atrocities that culminated in an RSF takeover in late October 2025. Before the paramilitaries overran El Fasher, civilians had been deprived access to food, water, medical supplies and humanitarian assistance.
“Since April of 2024, more than 1,500 grave violations against children have been verified in El Fasher, including the killing and maiming of over 1,300 children, many by explosive weapons and drones, as well as sexual violence, abductions, and recruitment and use by armed groups,” he said.
Famine conditions were confirmed in El Fasher in November 2025. In parts of Darfur, acute malnutrition rates among children now exceed 50 per cent, Mr. Yett said.
Even though the siege of El Fasher has ended, the UNICEF representative said that its impact continues to shape the daily lives of children – “both those who fled and those who are forced to stay”.
He highlighted the fact that the crisis “does not stop at Sudan's borders,” as children are fleeing into neighbouring countries.
“They're arriving exhausted, traumatized, and malnourished…Most communities have shown generosity, but services are overwhelmed and severely underfunded,” he said.
UNICEF fears that an entire generation is at stake. And with its 2026 humanitarian appeal for Sudan severely underfunded, the country’s children “need the world to act now,” Mr. Yett insisted.
He deplored the lack of global attention to this crisis, compared with the high-profile expressions of outrage back in 2006.
“I was in Darfur 20 years ago, and we had every Hollywood celebrity competing to get on the plane, to get on the bus, to get in the car,” he recounted. “Now we have absolutely no attention on Darfur, no attention on Sudan, given the scale of the crisis. And the situation is far more complex than it was 20 years ago.”
-Ends-
STORY Darfur update - UNICEF
TRT: 3:27’’
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: CREDIT UNICEF / UNHCR (details below)
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 28 APRIL 2026 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND; SEPTEMBER/NOVEMBER 2025, TAWILA, SUDAN (UNICEF BROLL); 24 APRIL 2026, TAWILA, SUDAN (UNHCR BROLL)
1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.
2. Medium-wide reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sheldon Yett, Representative in Sudan, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “In Darfur, children are being killed and maimed, uprooted from their homes, and pushed into extreme hunger, disease, and trauma.”
4. Medium reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screen.
5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sheldon Yett, Representative in Sudan, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “What we're seeing is also an intensity in the use of drones, drone strikes against humanitarian infrastructure, humanitarian convoy. We've had multiple cases over the last several months. We've had the feeling that no place is safe.”
6. Wide shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screens.
7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sheldon Yett, Representative in Sudan, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “Markets are being hit, schools are being hit, health centers are being hit, trucks carrying our urgently required, needed humanitarian supplies are being hit. Despite the fact that they're well marked, despite that all parties to the conflict know exactly where our suppliers are going, we talked to all parties and they're still being hit.”
8. Medium shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screens.
9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sheldon Yett, Representative in Sudan, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “In just the first 90 days of this year, at least 245 children were reportedly killed or injured. These are just the cases we've been able to document, but the true toll is likely far higher.”
10. Medium shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screen.
11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sheldon Yett, Representative in Sudan, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “The conflict is intensifying. Of course, it isn't just confined to Darfur. The front lines are consistently moving here, constantly moving here. We have the Kordofans, we have Blue Nile as well, where we've seen active fighting.”
12. Medium-wide shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screen.
13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sheldon Yett, Representative in Sudan, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “This crisis does not stop at Sudan's borders. Children are fleeing into neighbouring countries. They're arriving exhausted, traumatized, and malnourished. Most communities have shown generosity, but services are overwhelmed and severely underfunded.”
14. Medium-wide reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sheldon Yett, Representative in Sudan, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “I was in Darfur 20 years ago, and we had every Hollywood celebrity competing to get on the plane, to get on the bus, to get in the car. Now we have absolutely no attention on Darfur, no attention on Sudan, given the scale of the crisis. And the situation is far more complex than it was 20 years ago.”
16. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.
17. UNICEF BROLL - credit UNICEF:
-SEPTEMBER 2025, TAWILA, SUDAN - Wide shot: a mother feeds her child with a nutrition supplement.
-NOVEMBER 2025, TAWILA, SUDAN - Wide shot: children and adults walking about inside the camp.
-NOVEMBER 2025, TAWILA, SUDAN - Wide shot: children and women collect water.
18. UNHCR BROLL: 24 APRIL 2026, TAWILA, SUDAN – Aftermath of drone attack on humanitarian convoy in Tawila, Sudan – credit UNHCR.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR
Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies
As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
2
Edited News | UNMAS
Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.