Bi-Weekly Press Briefing: South Sudan Hunger Alert - WFP
/
2:41
/
MP4
/
198.6 MB

Edited News | WFP

Bi-Weekly Press Briefing: South Sudan Hunger Alert - WFP

STORYLINE

South Sudan: UN humanitarians forced to cut aid to 1.7 million

Food assistance to 1.7 million people in South Sudan has been suspended, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Tuesday, citing a funding crunch and rising needs. “Essentially, we’re in ‘famine-prevention mode’,” the agency said.

One look at the latest Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) data shows that is the very last thing South Sudan needs.

“We had planned to provide food assistance to 6.2 million people this year, but faced with increasing humanitarian needs and insufficient funding, we have taken the painful step to suspend food assistance to 1.7 million people,” said Adeyinka Badejo-Sanogo, WFP Acting Country Director in South Sudan. “These are people that are experiencing emergency and crisis levels of food insecurity, what we call IPC4 and IPC3.”

The WFP official explained that more than two in three people are experiencing a serious humanitarian and protection crisis and need help to survive. “Of these, we estimate that 8.3 million people, including internally displaced persons and refugees, will endure acute severe hunger during the lean season.”

The development comes as communities prepare for a fourth consecutive year of flash-flooding, which has left vast stretches of ground sodden and fields unusable, particularly in Jonglei, Upper Nile and Unity states.

In 2021, one million people fled their homes because of the flooding in South Sudan. This year, it’s estimated that approximately 600,000 are in the path of expanding flood waters and at risk of displacement.

“We are expecting a fourth year of massive flooding based on forecasts of an above-average rainfall, adding on to stagnant waters that have not receded from previous years,” said Ms. Badejo-Sanogo.

There is particular concern because the cutbacks are happening at the start of the lean season. “Families have completely exhausted any food reserves and are likely to continue to suffer acute levels of hunger as the lean season deepens,” the WFP official said. “Essentially, WFP in South Sudan, we are in ‘famine-prevention’ mode.”

Chronic levels of violence in parts of South Sudan continues to drive displacement and vulnerability, Ms. Badejo-Sanogo continued. In late April, additional UN peacekeepers were deployed to Leer county, after a surge in rapes, beheadings, civilians being burned alive and attacks on humanitarians.

“The political and security context in South Sudan remains volatile and it continues to aggravate the lives of communities,” the WFP official explained. “So far this year, we have seen 200,000 people newly displaced as a result of conflicts. And with displacement comes disruption in lives and livelihoods. And WFP, we're at a situation where we simply do not have the resources to respond to new emergencies.”

Without fresh funding, WFP has warned that more vulnerable people will have revert to survival strategies such as skipping or reducing meals, selling assets, sending their children to work and child marriage.

To support crisis response and resilience-building, the UN agency requires $426 million to reach six million food insecure people over the next six months.

ends

STORY: South Sudan Hunger Alert – WFP

TRT: 3 min 01 s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 14 June 2022 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, a sunny day.
  2. Wide shot, journalists, podium and moderator in press briefing room, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Adeyinka Badejo-Sanogo, WFP Acting Country Director in South Sudan (From Juba): “WFP, we had planned to provide food assistance to 6.2 million people this year, but faced with increasing humanitarian needs and insufficient funding, we have taken the painful step to suspend food assistance to 1.7 million people. And these are people that are experiencing emergency and crisis levels of food insecurity, what we call IPC4 and IPC3.”
  4. Close-up, participant’s face blurred in foreground, remote speaker’s face on TV screen to rear.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Adeyinka Badejo-Sanogo, WFP Acting Country Director in South Sudan (From Juba): “We are particularly concerned with these cuts, especially because these cuts are happening at the start of the lean season, when families have completely exhausted any food reserves and are likely to continue to suffer acute levels of hunger as the lean season deepens. Essentially, WFP in South Sudan, we are in ‘famine-prevention’ mode.”
  6. Medium shot, journalists seated and listening to the speaker.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Adeyinka Badejo-Sanogo, WFP Acting Country Director in South Sudan (From Juba): “More than two-thirds of the South Sudanese population are experiencing a serious humanitarian and protection crisis and require humanitarian assistance to survive. Of these, we estimate that 8.3 million people, including internally displaced persons and refugees, will endure acute severe hunger during the lean season.”
  8. Close-up, journalists’ hands typing on laptops.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Adeyinka Badejo-Sanogo, WFP Acting Country Director in South Sudan (From Juba): “We are expecting a fourth year of massive flooding based on forecasts of an above-average rainfall, adding on to stagnant waters that have not receded from previous years.”
  10. Close-up, photographer taking photos, looks up.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) — Adeyinka Badejo-Sanogo, WFP Acting Country Director in South Sudan (From Juba): “The political and security context in South Sudan remains volatile and it continues to aggravate the lives of communities. So far this year, we have seen 200,000 people newly displaced as a result of conflicts. And with displacement comes disruption in lives and livelihoods. And WFP, we're at a situation where we simply do not have the resources to respond to new emergencies.”
  12. Close-up, TV camera and tripod blurred in foreground, TV screen showing speakers to rear.
  13. Medium shot, participants sitting, one has his arms folded, photographer positioning for a photo to rear.
  14. Medium shot, participants seated in front of laptops following the press conference.

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025 ENG FRA

World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response 

Gaza update -  UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

Gaza update - UN Women ENG FRA

Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women

Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon ENG FRA

Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory ENG FRA

A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility. 

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025 ENG FRA

Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.

Gaza update  UNICEF - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA

Gaza update UNICEF - OCHA ENG FRA

Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard

Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO ENG FRA

Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?

That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank. 

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan ENG FRA

At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.