OHCHR Press conference: Human Rights Day with Volker Türk - 09 December 2022
/
46:32
/
MP3
/
32 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNHCR , OCHA

Ukraine Emergency Appeals OCHA - UNHCR 01 March 2022

Ukraine: $1.7 billion appeal launched to help refugee exodus and host countries

The United Nations and humanitarian partners on Tuesday launched a $1.7 billion flash appeal to urgently help people displaced by the Russian military offensive inside Ukraine and beyond its borders.

The escalating conflict has triggered an immediate and steep rise in humanitarian needs as essential supplies and services have been disrupted, while civilians flee the fighting.

Speaking in Geneva, UN emergency relief chief Martin Griffiths explained that the appeal has two components: “a three-month flash appeal for the situation inside the country, and a regional response plan for the situation beyond Ukraine's borders. The flash appeal for response inside Ukraine, which I'm responsible for coordinating, will need $1.1 billion in funding for three months to help six million of the most vulnerable in Ukraine for that three months.”

Also briefing journalists, High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi appealed for “$550 million for the refugee agency and 12 partner agencies”. Noting that 520,000 people were estimated to have been displaced by the Ukraine crisis just last night, Mr. Grandi said that this had already risen sharply, in the space of just a few hours: “677,000 refugees have now fled Ukraine to neighboring countries in the past six days,” he said. “That is 150,000 more, in less than 24 hours.”

The UN estimates that 12 million people inside Ukraine will need relief and protection, while more than four million refugees may need protection and assistance in neighboring countries in the coming months.

Reacting to reports that third-country refugees have been ill-treated at border crossings and inside Ukraine as they try to seek shelter, the UN refugee chief insisted that there should be absolutely no discrimination between Ukrainians and non-Ukrainians. Europeans and non-Europeans. Everybody is fleeing from the same risks.”

While the European Union is discussing the possibility of giving temporary protection status to refugees from Ukraine, the tragedy is “likely to introduce a new dimension to the many years of debate on asylum status, responsibility sharing and so forth”, said Mr. Grandi.

The UN refugee agency, UNHCR, has already received more than $40 million in private contributions from individuals or companies, an “unprecedented” feat, he added. “I've never seen it and I think it's positive.”

Ends

STORY: UN Emergency appeals for Ukraine and neighbouring countries – OCHA and UNHCR

TRT: 3 mins 24s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 01 March 2022 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, UN flag alley UN Geneva.
  2. Wide shot, press room UN Geneva, podium speakers, seated, with TV screen to the side.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English): Martin Griffiths, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator (OCHA): “Today, we are launching a humanitarian appeal for the Ukraine crisis with two components: a three-month flash appeal for the situation inside the country, which I have been coordinating, and a regional response plan for the situation beyond Ukraine's borders.”
  4. Close-up, journalists in profile, masked, with Filippo Grandi on TV screen to rear.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English): Martin Griffiths, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator (OCHA): “The flash appeal for response inside Ukraine, which I'm responsible for coordinating, will need $1.1 billion in funding for three months, to help six million of the most vulnerable in Ukraine for that three-month. And of those six million, we calculate over a million will be internally displaced.”
  6. Medium shot, podium speakers in profile.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English): Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR): “We have a fairly good picture of the initial needs for the first few months: $550 million, this is what we're appealing for today. This is UNHCR and 12 partner agencies.”
  8. Close-up, participant checking mobile phone.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English): Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR): “The numbers that we are beginning to see are extremely worrying. Last night, at the Security Council, I reported 520,000 refugees. Now, less than 24 hours before (later) the latest figure I just got it is 677,000. So, another 150,000 added in less than 24 hours.”
  10. Wide shot, press conference room.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English): Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR): “I don't have the detailed breakdown of the 677 (677,000 refugees), but about half are in Poland. This is the country that is clearly, as we predicted, receiving most refugees. About 90,000, probably a little bit more, forgive me if the figures are a bit fluid, have gone to Hungary; almost 60,000 to Moldova, almost 50,000 to Slovakia and almost - or I would say by now - 40,000, in Romania.”
  12. Close-up, TV camera operator standing by camera, podium speakers to rear.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English): Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR): “There should be absolutely no discrimination between Ukrainians and non-Ukrainians, Europeans and non-Europeans. Everybody is fleeing from the same risks.”
  14. Wide shot, press conference room.
  15. SOUNDBITE (English): Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR): “The tragedy, the enormous wave of refugees from Ukraine is likely to introduce a new dimension to the many years of debate on asylum status, responsibility sharing and so forth”.
  16. Cutaway
  17. SOUNDBITE (English): Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR): “UNHCR has already received more than $40 million in private contributions from individuals or companies. This is unprecedented. I've never seen it and I think it's positive.”
  18. Medium shot, participants, seated.
  19. Medium shot, participants, seated.
  20. Medium shot, podium speakers.
  21. Medium shot, TV and video journalists.


Documents 1
Download Storyline
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.