Gaza update - WHO UNMAS
/
3:05
/
MP4
/
338.8 MB
Download

Edited News | WHO , UNMAS

Gaza update: WHO, UNMAS

As Gaza humanitarian emergency continues, Iran’s plight is just beginning

Desperate and dangerous conditions in Gaza continue to hamper recovery efforts for the wartorn enclave's people, the UN health agency said on Friday, while demining experts warned that they’ve “barely scratched the surface” in assessing the level of contamination of unexploded ordnance.

In Iran, meanwhile, concerns are growing over a looming shortage of essential medical supplies caused by Israeli-US bombing before the extended ceasefire announcement by President Trump on Wednesday.

The announcement of a ceasefire early this month was a welcome relief. The reality on the ground, however, is very different,” said Cristhian (Cristhian) Cortez Cardoza, Deputy Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa at UN-partner the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

Speaking from Beirut after returning from Tehran, Mr. Cardoza insisted that “a ceasefire does not mean the conflict is over”. The consequences of weeks of “intense conflict” will continue to be felt by Iranian society “for months and years to come”, he said.

Hundreds of Iranian health facilities have been damaged or destroyed, the IFRC official explained, and there is increasing concern about medical access and potential shortages of key services, such as dialysis machines and prosthetic devices, because of destruction to manufacturing.

Because of the war, the IFRC factory that supplies 60 per cent of the country’s dialysis filters only has enough raw materials to continue production for the next three months.

The situation remains precarious in Gaza, meanwhile, with more than 1,800 health facilities partially or completely destroyed, according to the UN World Health Organization (WHO). “It ranges from big hospitals like Al Shifa in Gaza City to smaller primary health care centres, clinics, pharmacies and laboratories,” said the agency’s new representative in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt.

Speaking from Jerusalem, Dr Van de Weerdt reported on her first visit to Gaza as the new WHO representative.

“I just spent my first week in Gaza earlier this month. And really nothing prepares you for the scale of the destruction. You can read the reports, study the numbers, but standing in the street in the middle of endless metres-high piles of rubble is something else entirely.”

Across Gaza, most Palestinian families remain displaced, the veteran humanitarian noted. “They live in tents amidst the rubble, dependent on humanitarian assistance for the most basic of their needs. And despite the ceasefire, airstrikes, shelling and gunfire continued.”

In addition to those dangers, more than 17,000 cases of rodent-linked infections have been reported so far this year among Gaza’s displaced and more than 80 per cent of displacement sites report skin infections, such as scabies, lice and bed bugs - “the unfortunate but predictable consequence when people live in a collapsed living environment”, the WHO official said.

“For WHO and the health partners, we need to have a better understanding on the diseases that are affecting the people in Gaza. We therefore need laboratory equipment and supplies to enter Gaza. As many of you know, those equipment and supplies do not enter Gaza, which leaves us blind.”

To address this growing health threat “things need to change”, Dr Van de Weerdt insisted. “Health and healthcare workers need to be protected; essential medicines and supplies must enter Gaza. Bureaucratic processes and access restrictions on these globally recognised essential medicines and supplies must be removed.”

Echoing that message, the head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) in the Occupied Palestinian Territory underscored the ever-present danger from unexploded ordnance across the shattered enclave.

The lethal threat is now “essentially ingrained or embedded in the debris at this point in time,” said Julius Dirk Van Der Walt, Chief of UNMAS, in the OPT.

“We've barely scratched the surface in understanding what is the level of contamination that we will be encountering in Gaza,” he continued.

“What we do know is that this will be a dynamic threat, it will be moving around because you would have families returning to their homes; a father would maybe walk into the house, find a hand grenade, wanting to move it away from his children, and he put it outside. Somebody will come walking around, they see it as a threat, they will move it to the other side.”

ends

STORY: Gaza, Iran update – WHO IFRC

TRT: 3’10”

SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH, NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 24 APRIL 2026, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Speakers:

  • Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, WHO Representative for the Occupied Palestinian Territory (from Jerusalem)
  • Julius Dirk Van Der Walt, Chief of UNMAS, Occupied Palestinian Territory

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, United Nations flag flying.
  2. Wide shot of podium speakers at press briefing.
  3. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, WHO: “I just spent my first week in Gaza earlier this month. And really nothing prepares you for the scale of the destruction. You can read the reports, study the numbers, but standing in the street in the middle of endless metres-high piles of rubble is something else entirely.”
  4. Wide, Press room, TV screen showing speaker.
  5. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, WHO: “Most Palestinian families in Gaza remain displaced. They live in tents amidst the rubble, dependent on humanitarian assistance for the most basic of their needs. And despite the ceasefire, airstrikes, shelling and gunfire continued.”
  6. Medium-wide, podium speakers, journalists.
  7. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, WHO: “More than 1,800 health facilities are partially or completely destroyed. And it ranges from big hospitals like Al Shifa in Gaza City to smaller primary health care centres, clinics, pharmacies and laboratories.”
  8. Medium, journalists.
  9. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, WHO: “More than 17,000 cases of rodent and what we call ectoparasitic infections have been reported so far in 2026. And this is just the unfortunate but predictable consequence when people live in a collapsed living environment.”
  10. Wide, Press room, TV journalist, journalists, technicians.
  11. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, WHO: “For WHO and the health partners, we need to have a better understanding on the diseases that are affecting the people in Gaza. We therefore need laboratory equipment and supplies to enter Gaza. As many of you know, those equipment and supplies do not enter Gaza, which leaves us blind with all the living conditions that I have just mentioned.”
  12. Wide, Press room, TV screens showing speaker.
  13. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Dr Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, WHO: “For saving life to have an impact, things need to change. Health and healthcare workers need to be protected; essential medicines and supplies must enter Gaza. Bureaucratic processes and access restrictions on these globally recognised essential medicines and supplies must be removed.”
  14. Wide, podium speakers.
  15. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Julius Dirk Van Der Walt, Chief of UNMAS, Occupied Palestinian Territory: “What we are seeing is a very dynamic threat resulting from explosive ordnance, you know, coming from the explosive weapon usage, abandoned stores that we find inside Gaza itself. And it means that, you know, these weapons, or really these explosive ordnances is essentially ingrained or embedded in the debris at this point in time.”
  16. Medium-wide, panel speakers.
  17. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH): Julius Dirk Van Der Walt, Chief of UNMAS, Occupied Palestinian Territory: “We've barely scratched the surface in understanding what is the level of contamination that we will be encountering in Gaza. What we do know is that this will be a dynamic threat, it will be moving around because you would have families returning to their homes; a father would maybe walk into the house, find a hand grenade, wanting to move it away from his children, and he put it outside. Somebody will come walking around, they see it as a threat, they will move it to the other side.”
  18. TV journalist, podium speakers reflected in windows of technical booths.

Similar Stories

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR ENG FRA

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS

1

1

2

Edited News | UNMAS

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS ENG FRA

Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.

Darfur update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Darfur update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Sudan: ‘History repeating itself’ for Darfur’s children - UNICEF

Mass atrocities in Sudan’s Darfur 20 years ago reverberated as far as Hollywood, but today, a new generation of children faces attacks, hunger and displacement in an emergency largely ignored by the outside world, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.