Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO 14 November 2025
/
3:10
/
MP4
/
370.9 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

Sudan war: Aid teams plead for access to thousands trapped in El Fasher

Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?

That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.

That ordeal reduced people to eating peanut shells and animal feed, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said on Friday, before condemning the reported mass killings of civilians, executions based on ethnicity and other atrocities, which are likely continuing.

At the Human Rights Council in Geneva, Mr. Türk told Member States that bloodstains on the ground in El Fasher can be seen from space.

Warnings were clear

“We warned that the fall of the city to the Rapid Support Forces would result in a bloodbath,” he said, before calling for immediate international action to stop the violence at a special meeting convened by concerned Member States. “All those involved in this conflict should know: we are watching you, and justice must prevail,” the High Commissioner insisted.

According to the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, nearly 100,000 people have fled El Fasher and villages close by in the last two weeks alone.

“They are stranded somewhere,” said the agency’s Head of Sub Office in Port Sudan, Jacqueline Wilma Parlevliet. Families arriving in Tawila, about 50 kilometres from El Fasher have recounted “unimaginable horrors” before and after fleeing the city, she said.

Briefing journalists in Geneva via video, Ms. Parlevliet highlighted widespread reports of rape and sexual violence by escapees and scenes of desperation.

Parents are searching for missing children, many traumatized due to conflict and the dangerous journey to reach safety. Unable to pay ransoms, families have lost young male relatives to arrests or forced recruitment into armed groups,” the UNHCR official explained.

Trapped in a cycle of horror

Those hoping to find safety away from El Fasher face ever more dangerous journeys skirting around military checkpoints, some travelling for up to 15 days with limited food and water before reaching shelter in locations including Ad Dabbah in Northern state.

The small town on the bank of the river Nile now houses at least 37,000 people from El Fasher and thousands more are thought to be on their way.

Reports also indicate that armed groups are forcibly returning many people to El Fasher where conditions are dire, UNHCR said, citing local sources.

“Thousands of people, particularly the elderly, those with disabilities and the wounded, remain trapped, either prevented from leaving the city or lacking the means or strength to flee,” Ms. Parlevliet told journalists.

A crisis of staggering proportions

Sudan is the world’s largest displacement crisis with more than 12 million people uprooted inside and outside the country.

For many of those attempting to return home elsewhere in the vast east African nation, the threat of unexploded weapons remains huge, according to the UN Mine Action Service, UNMAS.

It noted that in South Kordofan, West Kordofan, and Blue Nile States alone, 13 million square kilometres of land are contaminated.

“There are many other countries that are affected by explosive remnants of war and landmines...Sudan is very different. Why? Because, war is mainly happening in urban areas,” said Sediq Rashid, Chief of UNMAS Sudan, speaking from Port Sudan.

He explained that just within the capital, Khartoum, risks ranged from unexploded and abandoned ammunitions, anti-vehicle mines and anti-personnel mines.

Displaced families are particularly at risk, often settling in unfamiliar locations “without any awareness of past conflicts or contamination”, Mr. Rashid continued.

Meanwhile, civilian casualties from mines and other unexploded ordnance continue to rise – “and we know that the cases that are being reported represent only a fraction of the true scale of the harm”, he said.

Sudan humanitarian update – UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

TRT: 3 min 10s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 14 NOVEMBER 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Speakers:

  • Jacqueline Wilma Parlevliet, Head of Sub Office in Port Sudan, UNHCR (from Port Sudan)
  • Sediq Rashid, Chief Mine Action Programme, UNMAS (from Port Sudan)
  • Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide: UN Geneva flag alley.
  2. Wide, UN Geneva Press room, podium speakers, journalists and external speaker in Sudan.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jacqueline Wilma Parlevliet, Head of Sub Office in Port Sudan, UNHCR: “The people that are stranded, we think given, you know, the data people that have left El Fasher, which are approximately 90,000 people. But then in terms of arrivals to other locations, we don't see that number reflected. So, they are stranded somewhere.
  4. Medium-wide, journalists.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jacqueline Wilma Parlevliet, Head of Sub Office in Port Sudan, UNHCR: “And one of the locations where people were stranded, where there is now limited humanitarian access is a place called Korma. And so we know that about 10,000 people are stranded there, waiting for transport or for other support to move to Tawila.”
  6. Wide, podium speakers.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jacqueline Wilma Parlevliet, Head of Sub Office in Port Sudan, UNHCR: ““There are a significant number of people remaining in El Fasher and a significant number of people that are on the move, stranded somewhere, not able to move further because of the danger or because they risk being sent back El Fasher, or because there are very vulnerable people amongst the group, such as persons with disability.”
  8. Wide, Press room, TV journalist, technical staff.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sediq Rashid, Chief Mine Action Programme, UNMAS (from Port Sudan): “Sudan faces an extremely complex contamination landscape, unexploded and abandoned ammunitions, anti-vehicle mines and more recently confirmed anti-personnel mines within Khartoum itself.”
  10. Wide, Press room, TV screens showing external speaker.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Sediq Rashid, Chief Mine Action Programme, UNMAS (from Port Sudan): ““There are many other countries that are affected by explosive remnants of war and landmines. But this time, Sudan is very, very different. Why? Because, war is mainly happening in urban areas.”
  12. Medium-wide, podium speakers, journalists, TV screen showing external speaker.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “People are dying from a lack of access to basic, essential healthcare medication, as per our latest emergency report in that direction, only 48 per cent - so less than half of the health facilities across all of Sudan's 18 states - are fully functioning and 12 per cent of the facilities are partially functioning, 40 are non-functioning.”
  14. Medium-wide, Press room.
  15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “Sudan is one of the world's largest food crises, with over 21 million people facing high levels of acute food insecurity as of September this year. And the famine, as you know, was confirmed in El Fasher and Kadugli towns and 20 areas across Greater Darfur and Greater Kordofan area are at risk of famine.”
  16. Wide, TV screens showing external speaker, Press room.
  17. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, WHO: “Cholera, we have already reports about over 120,000 cases and about 3,500 associated deaths. That's reported from 151 localities in all Sudan's 18 states by 1 November, just very recent.”
  18. Medium-wide, Press room.


Audio Files 1
Download Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO 14 November 2025 (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO ENG FRA

Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO  

As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division

1

1

1

Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division ENG FRA

This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.

Gaza education update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Gaza education update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF 

Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.