Syria UXO risk - UNICEF
/
2:20
/
MP4
/
171 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNICEF

Syria UXO risk - UNICEF 14 January 2025

Syria: Tragedy ‘at every step’ as millions of children face landmine threat – UNICEF

In Syria, landmines and other explosives left over from years of conflict present an ever more lethal threat to children, accounting for over 100 child deaths and injuries last month alone, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.

Ricardo Pires, UNICEF Communication Manager for Emergencies, told journalists from Damascus that in the last nine years, at least 422,000 incidents involving unexploded ordnance – or UXO - were reported in 14 governorates across Syria, “with half estimated to have ended in tragic child casualties”.

“Girls and boys in the country continue to suffer the brutal impact of unexploded ordnance (UXO) at an alarming rate,” he explained.

The UNICEF official underscored that in December last year, 116 children were killed or injured by UXO, an average of nearly four per day – a likely underestimate “given the fluidity of the situation,” he told journalists in Geneva.

“It's the main cause of child casualties in Syria right now and has been for many years, and will continue to be,” with an estimated more than 300,000 mines still spread across the country.

The danger affects some five million children living in areas contaminated with the lethal explosives, Mr. Pires said, for whom “every step they take carries the risk of an unimaginable tragedy”.

Renewed displacement has aggravated the danger. Mr. Pires recalled that since 27 November, over a quarter of a million children were forced to flee their homes due to escalating conflict. For the displaced and those trying to return home, “the peril of UXO is constant and unavoidable”, he stressed.

The threat has only intensified since the fall of the Assad regime on 8 December, as many weapons, including explosive weapons, have been left behind, in Homs but also in Damascus, Mr. Pires said.

He described the devastating effects of this legacy on inquisitive youngsters. “Even if children survive these blasts, the struggle doesn't end,” he said. “Life-changing injuries and disabilities often mean they cannot return to school or might find it harder to access proper health care.”

The UNICEF official called for increased humanitarian demining efforts, mine-risk education and support for survivors. He insisted that as part of discussions on reconstruction efforts supported by the international community, “it is imperative that immediate investment takes place to ensure the ground is safe and clear of explosives”.

UNICEF spokesperson James Elder echoed that call, stressing that to fund demining, “we’re talking tens of millions of dollars… which would save thousands of lives” and help Syria regain its former status as a middle-income country.

“It is a very, very cheap price that needs to be paid,” he concluded.

-Ends-

STORY: Syria UXO risk UNICEF 14 January 2025

TRT: 2:20”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/ NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 14 JANUARY 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, Communication Manager for Emergencies, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “Over the past nine years, at least 422,000 incidents involving UXOs [unexploded ordnance] were reported in 14 governorates across Syria, with half estimated to have ended in tragic child casualties.”

4. Wide lateral shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screens.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, Communication Manager for Emergencies, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “In December last year alone as well, 116 children were killed or injured by UXO, an average of nearly four per day. This is believed to be underestimated given the fluidity of the situation.”

6. Wide shot: Cameraperson and technicans’ booths in the Press room.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, Communication Manager for Emergencies, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “It's the main cause of child casualties in Syria right now and has been for many years, and will continue to be because the ground continues to be infested, infested and contaminated. Over 300,000 mines are still spread across the country.”

8. Wide lateral shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, Communication Manager for Emergencies, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “Even if children survive these blasts, the struggle doesn't end. Life-changing injuries and disabilities often mean they cannot return to school or might find it harder to access proper health care.”

10. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, Communication Manager for Emergencies, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “Since 8 December, when the previous government fell, a lot of weapons have been left behind. A lot of explosive weapons or just weapons in general, in many areas, including in Homs, where I was, but also in Damascus.”

12. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

13. SOUNDBITE (English) – James Elder, Spokesperson, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “We're talking tens of millions of dollars, which, as we've just heard, would save thousands of lives and will be an absolutely imperative part if Syria is to again become a middle-income country. So, if you're talking about tens of millions of dollars as a major influence to help Syria regain that status it had as a middle-income country, then it is a very, a very cheap price that needs to be paid.”

14. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.


Audio Files 1
Download Syria UXO risk - UNICEF (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office has published a report on the grave human rights abuses suffered by the hundreds of thousands of people trafficked into scam operations mostly in southeast Asia. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report ENG FRA

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Marta Hurtado briefed journalists on a UN report detailing child trafficking by gangs and how it is putting Haiti’s future at risk. 

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO ENG FRA

Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians

Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.