Edited News , Press Conferences | OSES
Barely 48 hours since opposition forces including Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) swept into Damascus and forced out President Bashar al-Assad, the top UN negotiator tasked with helping the Syrian people to create a peaceful and democratic future insisted that nothing could be take for granted.
“Syria is now at a crossroads with great opportunities for us, but also with grave risks. And we need really to look at both,” said Geir Pedersen, UN Special Envoy for Syria. “We know that, of course, HTS now the dominant group in control of Damascus, but it's important also to remember that they are not the only armed group in Damascus.”
Amid images of jubilant scenes on the streets of Damascus following the end of the Assad regime, Mr. Pedersen cautioned that the transfer of power had been accompanied by reports of robberies and the “invasion of public buildings or private homes. But this seems to have stopped and that is a good thing,” he told journalists in Geneva.
Beyond Damascus, the situation remains less certain, a legacy of Syria’s 13-year civil war that has drawn in regional and international actors, stymying UN-led efforts towards peace.
“The conflict in the northeast is not over; there has been clashes between the Syrian National Army, the opposition groups and the [Syrian Democratic Forces]. We are calling obviously for calm also in this area,” the UN Special Envoy said.
Turning to numerous reports of Israeli troop movements into the Occupied Golan Heights and bombardments of targets inside Syria, Mr. Pedersen insisted: “This needs to stop.”
He added: “I am not in contact with the Israelis, but of course, the United Nations in New York, they are. And, you know, the peacekeepers in the Golan Heights, are in daily contact with the Israelis. And of course, the message from New York is just it's the same that what we are seeing is a violation of the disengagement agreement in 1974.”
The veteran negotiator, a Norwegian national, also provided insight about how the transition of power is playing out inside Syria, via a key diplomatic exchange during his closed-door briefing to the Security Council at UN headquarters in New York late Monday evening.
“When I briefed the Security Council yesterday, I received a message from the Syrian ambassador to the United Nations in New York. And he was then addressing me on behalf of the authorities in Damascus. So that is still functioning.”
Much is still unclear about HTS and its motivations, Mr. Pedersen stressed, noting that [Abu Mohammad al] “Jolani himself mentioned this in an interview with the CNN that they are discussing the possibility of dismantling HTS. So, again, let me emphasize that we are still in what we called a very fluid period and things have not settled. There is a real opportunity for change, but this opportunity needs to be grasped by the Syrians themselves and supported by the UN and the international community.”
A key potential sticking point to conducting international dialogue with HTS - which led the opposition forces’ advance into Damascus via Aleppo, Hama and Homs - is that it is still regarded as a terrorist group by the Security Council. The forum’s core resolution on Syria – number 2254 – adopted unanimously in December 2015 - explicitly calls on Member States “to prevent and suppress terrorist acts committed specifically by” HTS’s predecessor, the Al-Nusra Front.
This terror listing may be about to change, Mr. Pedersen suggested. “You have to look at the facts and to see what has happened during the last nine years. It is nine years since that resolution was adopted and the reality is so far is that the HTS and also the other armed groups have been sending good messages to the Syrian people; they have been sending messages of unity, of inclusiveness and frankly speaking, also we are also seeing in Aleppo and in Hama, we have also seen, you know, reassuring things on the ground.”
As many Syrians exiled by the war now prepare to return home, the UN Special Envoy stressed the collective wish of the foreign ministers he met in Doha at the weekend – from Turkey, Russia, Iran and many Arab States – for Damascus’s new rulers to act on their initial promising declarations in favour of a peaceful transition of power. And for the international community to ensure that this can happen.
He added: “When I was leaving Doha, there was a Syrian family that came towards me, they were, living in Sweden and they said, ‘Mr. Pedersen, you know, we are so hopeful, we know there are many challenges. We left Hama 10 years ago, we really want to go back. We hope it will be possible.’ And I think that is really something that many, many Syrians are hoping for to this day.”
Syria crisis – UN Special Envoy
TRT: 04 min 28s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH (Left) / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 10 DECEMBER 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Speakers:
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO
From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | OCHA , WHO , UNHCR
OCHA: World Humanitarian Day - legal framework, impunity and commemoration of aid workers killed in line of duty, drone use in attacks on aid workers; WHO - Healthcare in armed conflict, Bundibugyo virus update from Bunia, DRC - scaling up the Ebola response in DRC, the fastest growing outbreak in history, DRC; UNCHR: Lebanon update
1
1
1
Edited News | UNFPA
Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone
Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | WHO , UNHCR , WFP , UNFPA , UNODA
WHO: update on Attacks on Health Care; UNFPA: Maternal health challenges in Darfur;
WFP/ UNHCR: Critical funding shortfalls threaten life-saving food, nutrition, and other assistance for refugees in South Sudan
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , WHO
Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN
As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | WMO , OCHA , WHO
WMO: Heatwaves, drought, fires and extreme weather; OCHA: Colombia earthquake
2
1
2
Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC
Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence – Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.
1
6
1
1
Edited News | UNOG
In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | WHO
WHO updates on Ebola; WMO on drought in Europe
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP
Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.
In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | ILO , WHO , WFP , IFRC
ILO to release youth employment trends report; WHO discusses Ebola treatments; WFP highlights Afghan nutrition crisis
1
1
2
Edited News | IOM
From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams
A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.
Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.