DRC: Update on health situation - WHO
/
2:31
/
MP4
/
186.9 MB

Edited News | WHO

DRC: Epicentre of humanitarian crisis, says WHO

Story: DRC: Update on health situation - WHO

DURATION (TRT): 2’31"

SOURCE: UNTV CH

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16/9

DATELINE: 22 September 2023, GENEVA SWITZERLAND

FORMAT: HYBRID PRESS BRIEFING

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN flag alley, UN Geneva
  2. Wide shot: speakers and attendees at the press conference, screens with speaker
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “DRC is facing its worst cholera outbreak since 2017. The eastern provinces are the most affected ones, accounting for 80 per cent of the cases. We have close to 30,000 suspected cases of cholera reported. The country is also battling the largest outbreak of measles recorded since 2019.”
  4. Medium shot: attendees at the press conference
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “The country is battling an epicenter of the humanitarian crisis over the past two decades, the eastern side of the country is severely affected due to the intensity of the conflict and the increasing humanitarian needs.”
  6. Wide shot: attendees at the press conference
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “The combination of measles and malnutrition has severe health impacts on children under five years of age, putting them at risk of dying with lack of access to adequate treatments. WHO has deployed experts to affected areas to support the authorities in investigating and responding to these outbreaks.”
  8. Medium shot: attendees at the press conference
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “On the gender-based violence, I will mention our support to victims of gender-based violence. Around 23,000 cases of gender-based violence were reported in the six provinces from January to August 2023. These numbers are probably much higher considering the low reporting by the victims and the weakness of health services to capture this data in a more exhaustive way.”
  10. Medium shot: podium of the press conference
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “DRC must not be forgotten. We need more whatever the support of our donors and partners to continue delivering these much needed health services to the people of DRC. WHO response is only funded by 14 per cent so far. We need a more sustainable and resilient health response in DRC.”
  12. Wide shot: attendees at the press conference, screens with speaker
  13. Medium shot: attendees at the press conference

STORYLINE

Eastern DR Congo is epicentre of humanitarian crisis, says WHO

Increasing violence from armed conflict and intercommunal clashes which have left entire villages burned to the ground in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) along with rampant sexual violence and a cholera outbreak are devastating the lives of millions of people, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

“The country is battling an epicenter of the humanitarian crisis over the past two decades, the eastern side of the country is severely affected due to the intensity of the conflict and the increasing humanitarian needs,” reported Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO’s representative in the DRC.

According to the WHO, a total of 7.4 million people in the DRC need health assistance and conditions are worsening. Some 6.3 million have been displaced in the last 18 months in the eastern part of the country and they are more at risk of disease outbreak and acute malnutrition as they have limited or no access to food, safe water and health care.

The UN health agency has verified 32 attacks on health facilities and workers in 2022, (causing three deaths and injuring seven) compared to 19 attacks so far in 2023. Health facilities have been set on fire, health workers killed and supplies looted. The ongoing violence is also hindering the delivery of health services on the ground at a time when needs are critical.

“DRC is facing its worst cholera outbreak since 2017”, said Dr. Hama Sambo. “The eastern provinces are the most affected ones, accounting for 80 per cent of the cases. We have close to 30,000 suspected cases of cholera reported. The country is also battling the largest outbreak of measles recorded since 2019.”

This number compares to only slightly over 5,000 last year for the same period.

WHO has deployed experts to affected areas to support the authorities in investigating and responding to these outbreaks.

“The combination of measles and malnutrition has severe health impacts on children under five years of age, putting them at risk of dying with lack of access to adequate treatments,” said the WHO representative.

The WHO has also provided increasing support to the victims of gender-based violence, including access to mental health and psychosocial support, medical care and post-exposure prophylaxis.

“Around 23,000 cases of gender-based violence were reported in the six provinces from January to August 2023. These numbers are probably much higher considering the low reporting by the victims and the weakness of health services to capture this data in a more exhaustive way,” noted Dr. Hama Sambo.

The UN health organization recently completed a vaccination campaign in Ituri province reaching over one million of children under five with a coverage of 88 per cent. More vaccination campaigns will follow in other provinces.

The WHO’s representative underscored that DRC “must not be forgotten. We need more support of our donors and partners to continue delivering these much-needed health services to the people of DRC.”

The WHO’s response plan of $31 million is only 14 per cent funded ($4,3 million).

-ends-

Story: DRC: Update on health situation - WHO

DURATION (TRT): 2’31"

SOURCE: UNTV CH

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16/9

DATELINE: 22 September 2023, GENEVA SWITZERLAND

FORMAT: HYBRID PRESS BRIEFING

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN flag alley, UN Geneva
  2. Wide shot: speakers and attendees at the press conference, screens with speaker
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “DRC is facing its worst cholera outbreak since 2017. The eastern provinces are the most affected ones, accounting for 80 per cent of the cases. We have close to 30,000 suspected cases of cholera reported. The country is also battling the largest outbreak of measles recorded since 2019.”
  4. Medium shot: attendees at the press conference
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “The country is battling an epicenter of the humanitarian crisis over the past two decades, the eastern side of the country is severely affected due to the intensity of the conflict and the increasing humanitarian needs.”
  6. Wide shot: attendees at the press conference
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “The combination of measles and malnutrition has severe health impacts on children under five years of age, putting them at risk of dying with lack of access to adequate treatments. WHO has deployed experts to affected areas to support the authorities in investigating and responding to these outbreaks.”
  8. Medium shot: attendees at the press conference
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “On the gender-based violence, I will mention our support to victims of gender-based violence. Around 23,000 cases of gender-based violence were reported in the six provinces from January to August 2023. These numbers are probably much higher considering the low reporting by the victims and the weakness of health services to capture this data in a more exhaustive way.”
  10. Medium shot: podium of the press conference
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo, WHO representative in DRC: “DRC must not be forgotten. We need more whatever the support of our donors and partners to continue delivering these much needed health services to the people of DRC. WHO response is only funded by 14 per cent so far. We need a more sustainable and resilient health response in DRC.”
  12. Wide shot: attendees at the press conference, screens with speaker
  13. Medium shot: attendees at the press conference

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025 ENG FRA

World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response 

Gaza update -  UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

Gaza update - UN Women ENG FRA

Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women

Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon ENG FRA

Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory ENG FRA

A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility. 

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025 ENG FRA

Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.

Gaza update  UNICEF - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA

Gaza update UNICEF - OCHA ENG FRA

Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard

Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO ENG FRA

Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?

That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank. 

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan ENG FRA

At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.