Middle East war’s ‘spiral of armed conflict’ in spotlight at Human Rights Council
The UN’s top human rights forum gathered in Geneva on Monday, where Member States highlighted the growing civilian toll of war in the Middle East, sparked by Israeli and U.S. bombing of Iran, counter-strikes by Tehran against Gulf states and Israeli shelling of Hezbollah targets in Lebanon in response to attacks by the armed group.
“On 28 February, the U.S. and Israel launched a devastating aerial campaign against Iran, ostensibly targeting military sites and nuclear facilities. In almost three weeks, these strikes have resulted in mounting reports of civilian casualties, including children,” Sara Hossein, chair of the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Iran, told the Human Rights Council.
Presenting the mission’s latest report to the Council, Ms. Hossein pointed to the ongoing plight of ordinary Iranian people, “caught between a large-scale military campaign by two countries, the US and Israel, and ongoing repression by their own government in Iran”.
Residential areas, multiple oil depots and a desalination plant have been “struck, damaged and destroyed”, causing “severe harm” to civilians, insisted the independent rights expert, who like all those appointed by the Council is not a UN staff member nor paid for her work.
The rights expert also noted how airstrikes had destroyed a school in Minab in southern Iran on the first day of the war, killing more than 168 people, “the vast majority of them being girl students, many as young as seven years old”, she said, while expressing concern at “public statements from U.S. officials suggesting that long-established ‘rules of engagement’ do not apply in this conflict”.
In addition to the Minab school strike, 1,000 civilians had been reportedly killed “with hospitals and World Heritage sites destroyed”, maintained the Council’s Special Rapporteur on Iran, Mai Sato.
“Strikes on oil infrastructure have caused toxic environmental consequences…in a country that was already experiencing acute water shortages,” she continued. Echoing widespread concerns about the deteriorating humanitarian crisis inside Iran since the outbreak of war, the Special Rapporteur noted that three million people are now displaced inside Iran, while “the reported absence of functional air raid sirens and bomb shelters in many urban areas” added to concerns about basic civilian protection during hostilities.
Responding to the independent experts’ reports to the Council, the Iranian Ambassador to the UN in Geneva, Ali Bahreini, said that more than 1,300 people had been killed and more than 7,000 people injured, including a six-month-old baby. “The international community must not remain silent,” he insisted.
The war is now well into its third week, having spread to nearly a dozen nations across the already fragile Middle East region.
Speaking on behalf of the Gulf Cooperation Council and Jordan, Ambassador Abdullah Abdulatif Abdullah of Bahrain condemned strikes by Iran “against our countries, which have targeted civilians and critical infrastructure and civilian objects, endangering the lives of residents and the safety and security of the region.
The ambassador also reiterated that the Gulf council had welcomed the adoption of Security Council Resolution 2817 Condemning Iran’s attacks against its neighbours on 11 March, supported by 136 UN Member States.
“Our countries reject the content of the reports of Special Rapporteur and the Fact Finding Mission, characterizing these attacks as retaliatory or reprisal attacks,” he said, insisting that “there’s no legal justification for such assaults and there is no way to legitimize those illegal acts” under international law.
Also addressing the Council, the Philippines echoed serious concerns by regional grouping ASEAN about the Middle East escalation.
“This spiral of armed conflict has already claimed many innocent lives, including those of children. This cannot and should not be normalized,” Member States heard.
ends
Iran dialogue – Human Rights Council
TRT: 2’36”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ARABIC / ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 16 MARCH 2026 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Speakers:
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , WHO
Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground
In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Statements , Conferences | WHO
WHO updates on Ebola outbreak in DRC and Uganda caused by Bundibugyo virus.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Conferences , Statements | UN
UN Secretary-General addresses the 79th World Health Assembly, emphasizing the need for strong global health efforts.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.