After five years of drought, southern Madagascar is at ‘periphery of famine’: WFP
A humanitarian catastrophe caused by unrelenting drought is unfolding in southern Madagascar where children and adults are on the “periphery of famine”, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday, in an urgent appeal for international support.
“The writing is on the wall, the images are horrific, and what I saw with my own eyes tell me we are heading towards a disaster and we need to stop that,” said veteran aid logistics expert and Senior Director of Operations in Madagascar, Amer Daoudi.
The development echoes previous alerts from the UN agency, which warned last September that families had already eaten their vital seed stocks over the lean season, leaving them nothing to grow for their next planting season.
“The situation is extremely, extremely, worrisome, scary. They are on the periphery of famine and these are images that I haven’t seen for quite some time across the globe,” Mr. Daoudi said, referring to the situation in “most districts” of southern Madagascar.
“What I witnessed yesterday - again with members of the diplomatic and international community as well as the Government - is horrific images of starving children, malnourished, and not only the children, mothers, parents and the population in the villages we visited.”
The situation has become so dire for many families that they have been forced to sell their cooking utensils – a final desperate coping measure – and eight in 10 people in some southern areas have resorted to eating locusts, raw red cactus fruits or wild leaves.
This had led to “whole villages shutting down and moving to the nearest urban centres”, Mr. Daoudi said, although some were likely too weak to make the relatively short journey.
“There is no place to flee (except) the nearest urban centre, if they can make it, but some of the condition of the people I saw yesterday, will not even make the 40 kilometres track.”
Detailed needs assessments are expected to be completed over the weekend, although data about how many people have already died from hunger in this latest humanitarian emergency in southern Madagascar is unclear.
The UN agency reported that malnutrition in children under five has almost doubled in the last four months and is now at “an alarming” 16.5 per cent, according to latest Government data.
The worst affected district is Ambovombe where child malnutrition is 27 per cent, according to WFP, noting that youngsters with acute malnutrition are four times more likely to die than healthy children.
“If a child dies, they bury (it), there is no reporting, there is no official type (of) reporting to take these numbers, same thing with grown-ups,” said Mr. Daoudi, highlighting the impact of “five years’ consecutive droughts, climatic changes and (a) deteriorating food security situation”.
WFP has appealed for $74 million for the next six months to respond to the emergency “and prevent a catastrophe”.
It currently helps up to 750,000 people a month via food and cash distributions, but
at least 1.35 million people require emergency assistance.
“We need the resources yesterday,” Mr. Daoudi said, speaking via Zoom from Antananarivo. “Because in order to turn resources into mouths…into food in the mouths of people, it will take some time. The infrastructure is extremely bad, it takes forever to get cargo into Madagascar and then from the ports into the affected areas, given how large the area is and how dispersed the population are.”
ends
STORY: Southern Madagascar Hunger Crisis - WFP
TRT: 02 min 38s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 30 APRIL 2021 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS
World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response
1
1
1
Edited News | UN WOMEN
Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women
Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD
A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP
Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA
Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard
Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO
Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?
That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.