After five years of drought, southern Madagascar is at ‘periphery of famine’: WFP
A humanitarian catastrophe caused by unrelenting drought is unfolding in southern Madagascar where children and adults are on the “periphery of famine”, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday, in an urgent appeal for international support.
“The writing is on the wall, the images are horrific, and what I saw with my own eyes tell me we are heading towards a disaster and we need to stop that,” said veteran aid logistics expert and Senior Director of Operations in Madagascar, Amer Daoudi.
The development echoes previous alerts from the UN agency, which warned last September that families had already eaten their vital seed stocks over the lean season, leaving them nothing to grow for their next planting season.
“The situation is extremely, extremely, worrisome, scary. They are on the periphery of famine and these are images that I haven’t seen for quite some time across the globe,” Mr. Daoudi said, referring to the situation in “most districts” of southern Madagascar.
“What I witnessed yesterday - again with members of the diplomatic and international community as well as the Government - is horrific images of starving children, malnourished, and not only the children, mothers, parents and the population in the villages we visited.”
The situation has become so dire for many families that they have been forced to sell their cooking utensils – a final desperate coping measure – and eight in 10 people in some southern areas have resorted to eating locusts, raw red cactus fruits or wild leaves.
This had led to “whole villages shutting down and moving to the nearest urban centres”, Mr. Daoudi said, although some were likely too weak to make the relatively short journey.
“There is no place to flee (except) the nearest urban centre, if they can make it, but some of the condition of the people I saw yesterday, will not even make the 40 kilometres track.”
Detailed needs assessments are expected to be completed over the weekend, although data about how many people have already died from hunger in this latest humanitarian emergency in southern Madagascar is unclear.
The UN agency reported that malnutrition in children under five has almost doubled in the last four months and is now at “an alarming” 16.5 per cent, according to latest Government data.
The worst affected district is Ambovombe where child malnutrition is 27 per cent, according to WFP, noting that youngsters with acute malnutrition are four times more likely to die than healthy children.
“If a child dies, they bury (it), there is no reporting, there is no official type (of) reporting to take these numbers, same thing with grown-ups,” said Mr. Daoudi, highlighting the impact of “five years’ consecutive droughts, climatic changes and (a) deteriorating food security situation”.
WFP has appealed for $74 million for the next six months to respond to the emergency “and prevent a catastrophe”.
It currently helps up to 750,000 people a month via food and cash distributions, but
at least 1.35 million people require emergency assistance.
“We need the resources yesterday,” Mr. Daoudi said, speaking via Zoom from Antananarivo. “Because in order to turn resources into mouths…into food in the mouths of people, it will take some time. The infrastructure is extremely bad, it takes forever to get cargo into Madagascar and then from the ports into the affected areas, given how large the area is and how dispersed the population are.”
ends
STORY: Southern Madagascar Hunger Crisis - WFP
TRT: 02 min 38s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 30 APRIL 2021 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office has published a report on the grave human rights abuses suffered by the hundreds of thousands of people trafficked into scam operations mostly in southeast Asia.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights Spokesperson Marta Hurtado briefed journalists on a UN report detailing child trafficking by gangs and how it is putting Haiti’s future at risk.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN
Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians
Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , IOM
Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians
Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP
Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR
In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians
Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS
UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line
The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.