Mozambique’s displaced facing massive needs as attacks intensify, OCHA warns
The humanitarian situation in northern Mozambique continues to deteriorate sharply as prolonged attacks by non-State armed groups in Nampula trigger one of the largest displacement surges of the year, the UN warned on Friday.
According to the UN aid coordination office, OCHA, 107,000 people have fled their homes in recent weeks, pushing total displacement in just the past four months to 330,000.
“They barely had time to recover when they again had to leave, due to attacks or fear of attacks,” said Paola Emerson, OCHA Head of Office in Mozambique.
The veteran humanitarian explained that violence has often uprooted families multiple times as they endure weeks of attacks - an unusual pattern, compared to previous hit-and-run tactics.
Data indicates that nearly nine in 10 of those fleeing violence have already fled at least once this year.
Ms. Emerson added that this latest wave of attacks has been particularly destabilising for communities already battered by three cyclones in 2025.
“A vast majority are children, 67 per cent,” Ms. Emmerson said. “There are huge concerns about protection, with reports of gender-based violence and children who are separated or unaccompanied.”
Most displaced families now shelter in overcrowded host communities, open areas and damaged schools where exams have been disrupted in several districts.
Aid distribution is far below needs, the UN aid official noted, with only around 40 per cent of people receiving “woeful” food assistance, amid “major stockouts”.
Ms. Emmerson warned that gaps in aid are already forcing some families to return to unsafe areas “with very little information about whether the situation has stabilised”.
UN agencies have issued repeated alerts this week. On Tuesday, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said civilians described nighttime attacks, homes burned and people killed as armed groups pushed into previously unaffected districts. The agency highlighted severe resource shortages, describing the response as “insufficient”.
The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) added on Friday that children are being pushed to breaking point. It warned of “staggering” levels of displacement and rising grave violations, including abductions and recruitment. The UN agency said that essential services - health, education, water and protection - are “straining under the weight of need”, just as the cyclone season is set to intensify.
Humanitarian partners are calling for urgent funding to prevent further deterioration, warning that without rapid support, the crisis will deepen and families may face renewed displacement within weeks.
ENDS
STORY: Mozambique displacement UNICEF
TRT: 01:45
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH, NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 5 DECEMBER 2025, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
Speaker:
1. Exterior wide shot, United Nations flag flying.
2. Wide shot of panel at press briefing.
3. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Paola Emerson, Head of Office, OCHA Mozambique: “So far, 107,000 people have left their homes in Nampula. This is the third largest major wave of displacement that has occurred, certainly in the last four months. Altogether, 330,000 people were displaced. This year, the majority had spread more than once, 89 per cent had already fled in the past. They barely had time to recover when they again had to leave, due to attacks or fear of attacks.
4. Attendees at briefing and screens.
5. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Paola Emerson, Head of Office, OCHA Mozambique: “These were areas that have been affected by the cyclones; this year, there were three cyclones. A vast majority are children; 67 per cent of them are children. There are huge concerns about the protection of people, with reports of gender-based violence and women and girls being affected, but also children who are separated and unaccompanied by their carers.”
5. Panel at briefing.
7. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Paola Emerson, Head of Office, OCHA Mozambique: “The humanitarians are trying to do the best that they can with available stocks, but they are major stockouts. So far, a total of 40,000 - about 40 per cent of the total number - has received some food for about two weeks. And they're also receiving voucher assistance and some other support. But this is woeful and inadequate.”
8. Medium of attendee at briefing.
8. Medium of attendee at briefing.
8. Medium of attendee at briefing.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF
The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA
As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO
From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNFPA
Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone
Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , WHO
Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN
As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.
2
1
2
Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC
Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence – Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.
1
6
1
1
Edited News | UNOG
In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP
Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.
In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.
1
1
2
Edited News | IOM
From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams
A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.
Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.
1
1
1
Edited News | UN WOMEN
In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water
As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.