Venezuela human rights probe 17 September 2024
/
2:21
/
MP4
/
174.7 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | HRC

Venezuela human rights probe 17 September 2024

Venezuela: Rights probe points to unprecedented repression of critics

Violence used against opponents of the Venezuelan authorities has reached unprecedented levels, a top independent human rights probe alleged on Tuesday, citing arrests, sexual abuse and torture as just some of the methods used by the Government of President Nicolas Maduro to stay in power.

In a new report, the Human Rights Council-mandated investigators described how security forces had raided dozens of homes of suspected critics of the Government “just using social media videos as the only evidence to arrest people”.

Victims’ testimonies gathered either side of the disputed Presidential election on 28 July which returned Mr. Maduro to office for the third time pointed to “one of the most acute human rights crises in recent history”, the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Venezuela further maintained.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva, Marta Valiñas, Chair of the investigation, insisted that that its latest findings were “overwhelming: not only have there been no improvements, but the violations have intensified, reaching unprecedented levels of violence”.

The independent rights expert described “an intensification of the State’s repressive machinery” with regard to its critics which represented “a continuation of previous patterns” that the independent rights panel had already condemned as likely crimes against humanity.

Following the re-election of Mr. Maduro – whose victory announcement prompted widespread protests across Venezuela - Ms. Valiñas said that the probe had confirmed 25 fatalities. Most of the victims were “young people under 30 years old from popular neighbourhoods. There are two children among them,” she said.

One of the deceased was a member of the Bolivarian National Guard, Ms. Valiñas noted, before adding that 24 “died from gunshot wounds [and] the other was beaten to death”.

The Fact-Finding Mission’s latest report examines the human rights situation in Venezuela between September 2023 and August 2024. It points to a further deterioration of the rule of law following the Presidential elections, while public authorities “have abandoned all semblance of independence”, leaving citizens “helpless” against the “arbitrary exercise” of power.

“We documented more than 40 cases in which the security forces entered private homes without warrants, just using social media videos as the only evidence to arrest people who they thought had participated in protests or who had expressed criticism in social media,” explained Francisco Cox Vial, Member of the fact-finding mission that was created by the Human Rights Council in 2019.

According to the independent investigators, more than 120 people were arrested in July in the context of opposition campaign events. In the first week of protests following the elections, based on figures released by the authorities, more than 2,000 people were detained. Individuals included more than 100 children, some with disabilities, who faced accusations of terrorism and incitement to hatred and serious violations of due process, the investigators added.

“Of the people detained in this period, many were subjected to torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, as well as sexual violence which was perpetrated against women and girls, but also against men with reported electric shocks, beating with blunt objects, suffocation with plastic bags, immersion in cold water and forced sleep deprivation,” said Patricia Tappatá Valdez, member of the fact-finding mission.

“We had been able to verify that at least 143 of these arrests involved members of seven opposition parties, including 66 leaders of political movements,” she added.

According to the rights probe, from December 2023 to March 2024, at least 48 people were detained on the grounds of “so-called conspiracy theories” against the Government, with arrest warrants issued for others. The individuals included military personnel, human rights defenders, journalists and political opposition representatives, the fact-finding mission said.

“We cannot ignore that these violations represent a clear and deliberate line of conduct by the authorities of politically motivated persecution,” said investigator Mr. Cox Vial. “We have come to the conclusion that many of these allegations constitute crimes against humanity.”

Story: Venezuela human rights probe

TRT: 02’21”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 17 September 2024 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
RESTRICTIONS: NONE

Speakers:

• Marta Valiñas, Chair of the Fact-Finding Mission

• Francisco Cox Vial, Member of the Fact-Finding Mission

• Patricia Tappatá Valdez, Member of the Fact-Finding Mission   



SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN Geneva flag alley.
  2. Wide shot of the podium and Press room.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English): Marta Valiñas, Chair of the Fact-Finding Mission: “Our findings are overwhelming: not only have there been no improvements, but the violations have intensified, reaching unprecedented levels of violence.”
  4. Medium-wide, podium speakers and Press room.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English): Marta Valiñas, Chair of the Fact-Finding Mission: “In the post-election context, we have documented 25 confirmed deaths, most of them young people under 30 years old from popular neighbourhoods. There are two children among them. One of the victims is a member of the Bolivarian National Guard. Of these 25 victims, we have confirmed that 24 died from gunshot wounds. The other was beaten to death.”
  6. Medium-wide, podium speakers and Press room.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English): Francisco Cox Vial, Member of the Fact-Finding Mission: “We documented more than 40 cases in which the security forces entered private homes without warrants, just using social media videos as the only evidence to arrest people who they thought had participated in protests or who had expressed criticism in social media.”
  8. Wide, Press room, photographer.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English): Patricia Tappatá Valdez, Member of the Fact-Finding Mission: “Of the people detained in this period, many were subjected to torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, as well as sexual violence which was perpetrated against women and girls, but also against men with reported electric shocks, beating with blunt objects, suffocation with plastic bags, immersion in cold water and forced sleep deprivation.”
  10. Medium, video journalist operating TV camera.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English): Patricia Tappatá Valdez, Member of the Fact-Finding Mission: “We had been able to verify that at least 143 of these arrests involved members of seven opposition parties, including 66 leaders of political movements.”
  12. Medium, journalists/participants.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English): Francisco Cox Vial, Member of the Fact-Finding Mission: “We cannot ignore that these violations represent a clear and deliberate line of conduct by the authorities of politically motivated persecution. We have come to the conclusion that many of these allegations constitute crimes against humanity.”
  14. Medium-close, journalist.
  15. Medium-close, journalist.
  16. Medium-close, journalist.


Audio Files 1
Download Venezuela human rights probe 17 September 2024 (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO ENG FRA

Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO  

As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division

1

1

1

Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division ENG FRA

This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.

Gaza education update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Gaza education update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF 

Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.