STORYLINE
Gaza: Fresh evacuation orders compound misery for enclave’s displaced
New forced displacements have continued in Gaza as regional tensions escalate after a deadly strike in the Syrian Golan Heights where 12 youngsters were killed over the weekend, UN humanitarians have said.
Evacuation orders issued by the Israeli military have impacted Nuseirat and Bureij refugee camps, forcing families to relocate “again and again, knowing that safety is non-existent in the Gaza Strip”, said the UN agency for Palestine refugees, UNRWA, in a post on X.
More than nine months into the war in Gaza, only 14 per cent of the enclave has not been impacted by evacuation orders, said UNRWA Commissioner Philippe Lazzarini.
“Quite often, people have just a few hours to pack whatever they can and start all over again, mostly on foot or on a crowded donkey cart for those who can afford it,” he said. “Almost everyone in Gaza has been impacted by these orders. Many were forced to flee on average once a month since the war began nine months ago.”
In a related development, the UN agency condemned the reported destruction of a water plant in Rafah in southern Gaza, a focus of Israeli military action since early May. “Any time, something happens, like what appears to happen in Rafah over the weekend with a water plant destroyed, it impacts the ability we have to generate water,” said Scott Anderson – UN Deputy Humanitarian Coordinator and Director of UNRWA Affairs in Gaza. The UN agency has been unable to independently assess the situation, he noted.
Echoing the testimonies of forcibly displaced people who are among those assisted by UNRWA, Mr. Anderson recounted how one woman with twins explained the chaos of the upheaval: “She said, yeah, basically, that was one child for each arm and a little backpack, you know, and off they go to try to find safety.”
According to UNRWA, evacuation orders are now issued “every other day”, while UN aid coordination office, OCHA, reported on Friday that humanitarian partners estimated that more than 190,000 Palestinians had been displaced last week in Khan Younis and Deir al Balah, since an evacuation order issued seven days ago.
Recent evacuation directives and intense hostilities have continued to destabilize aid operations and hampered efforts to provide critical relief to civilians in Khan Younis, OCHA noted.
It maintained that ongoing insecurity and the designation of “only one access point for the entry and exit of humanitarian staff into and out of Gaza – the Kerem Shalom crossing – have hampered efforts to deploy additional emergency medical teams in Gaza” – even though these workers are critically needed to help support the “exhausted” local health force.
“I met a mother and a child, a two-month-old who was starving to death and the mother didn't have sufficient nutrition to lactate and feed her baby,” Mr. Anderson said in an interview with UN News. He explained that “when you get to severe malnutrition or acute malnutrition, you can't just give milk or food and the baby will recover. You know, for a mother to start lactation again is nearly impossible…And they look at you and say, ‘What can you do to help me?’
Latest UN data indicates that 93 per cent of schools have been damaged and many have been directly hit in Gaza. A third of the affected schools are UNRWA schools whose approximately 14,000 teachers used to teach around 370,000 students. To help the hundreds of thousands of children now out of school in the enclave, UNRWA and the UN Children’s Fund, UNICEF, plan to provide an education boost beginning Thursday 1 August.
“We're going to try to get all the 600,000 children that should be in school back in some sort of learning environment,” Mr. Anderson said. “Hopefully this is the start of that process of rebuilding Gaza into something better than it was before 7 October and giving people, you know, the opportunity to continue to live in dignity.”
He added: “It's incredible that people still smile, that you see them trying to get on with their lives or some entrepreneurial spirit.”
ends
STORY: Gaza humanitarian update – UNWRA Scott Anderson
TRT: 2 min 12s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 30 JULY 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , WHO
Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground
In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.