UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 Update - WHO
/
2:55
/
MP4
/
215.6 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WHO

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 Update - WHO

UN health agency urges nations to donate 250 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine

Some two billion doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been distributed globally but only 0.5 per cent have reached low-income countries where frontline health workers and the elderly have yet to receive a shot, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

“This week, we see over two billion doses, we’ll probably pass the two billion doses if we have not already passed it landmark, in terms of number of doses of these vaccines, these new COVID vaccines that have actually been developed. And these have been distributed now in over 212 countries,” said Dr Bruce Aylward, Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub.

Dr Aylward, who is also Senior Advisor to the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, noted that of those two billion doses, “over 75 per cent” had gone to just 10 countries, notably China, the US and India.

This trio “account for about 60 per cent of those doses”, said Dr Aylward, speaking via Zoom, adding that “at the other end of that spectrum” only about “point five per cent of doses” had reached the lowest income countries, which account for about 10 per cent of world population.

This had led increasingly to “a two-track recovery”, characterised by the successful rollout of vaccines to high-risk populations and even younger populations in higher income and vaccine-producing countries.

By contrast, “in the lower income countries, they’re still struggling to get sufficient product just to be able to vaccinate the health care workers, older populations, who are really the key to getting out of you know, the health, societal and economic crisis that we’re in the midst of,” Dr Aylward explained, in an urgent appeal for 250 million doses to protect frontline workers and the most vulnerable people.

“The call is for a quarter of a billion doses out through the period through end of September to be donated, at least 100 million of those in June and July - that’s what we need to get the system going.”

The WHO official noted that on Thursday the United States had helped to kickstart the appeal and bolster the UN-partnered equitable vaccine distribution scheme COVAX with the announcement that it intended to donate up to 80 million doses, including an initial 25 million shots, this month. “That’s an important start (but) we need many other countries to be joining and important for the US, right, crucially, is they said these doses are going to come in June.”

It was “absolutely ridiculous” that some countries were still unable to protect their key workers amid “escalating epidemics” even though vaccines had been available for six months, he said.

Highlighting the progress made against the coronavirus compared with a year ago, the veteran emergency health expert insisted that the development and increasing number of COVID-19 vaccines should not distract from the continued need by all countries to test, trace and treat their populations.

People will continue to die unless a $16 billion funding gap is filled to pay for sufficient personal protective equipment, ventilators, oxygen and steroid medication to help the poorest nations treat their sick, Dr Aylward insisted.

“We still do not understand well enough this pandemic because we are not enough testing enough. Remember Tedros talked about ‘test, test, test’ literally months and months and months ago; we need to be test, test, testing, we’ve made highly accurate, highly affordable rapid diagnostic tests, but with the fixation on vaccines, we’re not getting the money (needed) over there. And we’ve all seen what happens when this disease hits a country that doesn’t have the oxygen and dexamethasone.”

Globally, on 4 June 2021, there have been 171,708,011 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 3,697,151 deaths, reported to WHO.

ends

STORY: COVID-19 update - WHO

TRT: 02 min 55s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 4 JUNE 2021 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a sunny day.
  2. Medium-wide shot, showing large-screen TV with speakers and podium with one speaker in Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “This week, we see over two billion doses, we’ll probably pass the two billion doses if we have not already passed it landmark, in terms of number of doses of these vaccines, these new COVID vaccines that have actually been developed. And these have been distributed now in over 212 countries.”
  4. Medium shot, reverse angle, showing podium speaker in Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “If we look at that two billion doses, over 75 per cent of it have gone to just 10 countries, and in fact three countries are China, the US and India, account for about 60 per cent of those doses. If you look at the other end of that spectrum of the lower income countries, only about (nought) point five per cent of doses globally have gone to the lower income, lowest income countries, that account for about 10 per cent of world population.”
  6. Close-up: head of attendee with reading glasses in foreground, another attendee to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “So we’re increasingly seeing a two-track recovery and rollout of the vaccines with that high coverage deep into the high-risk populations and younger populations even in higher income and producing countries; while in the lower income countries, they’re still struggling to get sufficient product just to be able to vaccinate the health care workers, older populations, who are really the key to getting out of you know, the health, societal and economic crisis that we’re in the midst of.”
  8. Medium-close-up, showing attendee checking phone, seated, Room XIV, Palais des Nations
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “The call is for a quarter of a billion doses out through the period through end of September to be donated, at least 100 million of those in June and July - that’s what we need to get the system going. Now we had a great start yesterday with the US announcing that it’s going to be giving up to 80 million doses and it gave the first 25 million doses that it would be donating, 75 per cent of that through COVAX yesterday, that’s an important start. We need many other countries to be joining and important for the US, right, crucially, is they said these doses are going to come in June.”
  10. Close-up, fingers typing on computer laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “We still do not understand well enough this pandemic because we are not enough testing enough. Remember Tedros talked about ‘test, test, test’ literally months and months and months ago; we need to be test, test, testing, we’ve made highly accurate, highly affordable rapid diagnostic tests, but with the fixation on vaccines, we’re not getting the money (needed) over there. And we’ve all seen what happens when this disease hits a country that doesn’t have the oxygen and dexamethasone.”
  12. Wide shot showing a handful of attendees in line with COVID-19 safety measures, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  13. Medium-close-up, back of attendee’s head (blurred), with large TV screen to rear and in focus, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  14. Medium shot, attendee, masked and seated, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.

Similar Stories

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR ENG FRA

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS

1

1

2

Edited News | UNMAS

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS ENG FRA

Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.