The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has seen an increase in the number of reported cases of the deadly haemorrhagic virus Ebola linked to ongoing violence by armed groups targeting remote communities, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.
According to the UN agency’s latest outbreak update, 27 new cases were identified last week in the east of the country – three times the average number of infections in the past 21 days.
“The last three weeks were below 10 cases and this is only in four (DRC health) zones, and this is actually this is where we need to ensure access to finish the job,” Dr Michel Yao, Incident Manager, WHO Ebola Response in the DRC, told journalists in Geneva. “And unfortunately it is in this area where we are facing the security. This area is a mainly rural area, so for the big cities the outbreak is more or less controlled.”
Although the development is worrying, current infection rates are well down on the 120 cases a week reported during the peak of the outbreak, in late April.
In a further more promising development, WHO reported that in Beni and Mabalako Health Zones, the percentage of contacts under surveillance in the last seven days has returned to levels seen prior to “security events” that have hampered the Ebola response teams in past weeks.
A further sign of progress in the fight against the outbreak – DRC’s tenth in 40 years – is the fact that it now appears restricted to only four health zones, as opposed to the 29 originally identified in North Kivu, South Kivu and Ituri.
Nonetheless, attacks on healthworkers and Ebola clinics – including deadly violence against Ebola responders in Biakato (Ituri province) in late November - has meant that the vital work of tracing people who have come into contact with Ebola patients and vaccinating them has been severely restricted.
“In these (health) zones, there’s one (area) in particular called Lwemba that we haven’t been able to access for three weeks,” Dr Yao explained. “And when you don’t have access, you can’t vaccinate the contacts and others at risk. You can’t find confirm new cases of infection so you can’t do safe burials, you can’t get infected people out and get them medical care.”
(Dans ces zones, il y a une zone notamment appelée Lwemba ou on a eu trois semaines sans avoir accès à la zone. Et quand on n’a pas accès, on ne peut pas vacciner les contacts et les autres personnes à risque. On ne peut pas détecter de nouveaux cas, donc faire des enterrements sécurisés, on ne peut pas en fait permettre d’extraire des cas et leur permettre d’avoir accès aux soins.”)
Most of the new cases identified in the last week were linked to one individual near Beni town who could have infected 17 people.
“The person who passed away is in a place that’s called Aloya. It’s close to Beni, but this person unfortunately died,” Dr Yao said.
According to WHO, this same person recovered from Ebola six months ago.
It is now investigating whether they were reinfected by someone else – which has never been documented - or suffered a relapse, which has happened before.
Since the outbreak began in North Kivu and Ituri last August, 2,210 people have died from the disease.
It is the second largest Ebola emergency to date, after the West Africa crisis that saw more than 28,600 cases of infection.
To ensure continued care, WHO has mounted a limited daily helicopter “air bridge” operation to the communities still at risk.
The health team on board conducted their first vaccinations on Thursday, Dr Yao said.
“The helicopter that we’re using has space for around 20 people so it means we can transport epidemiologists to do their investigations, but above all the vaccination team,” Dr Yao explained, noting that the communities had come to the Ebola responders seeking help. They “want the intervention”, he insisted, “but around we have armed groups that prevent us from reaching these communities”.
He added: “We’re mobilising communities all around to come and get vaccinated in a situation where there are (health) alerts but we can’t go to investigate because access is restricted.”
« L’hélicoptère que nous utilisons a une capacité d’une vingtaine de places et donc cela permettra de transporter des épidémiologistes pour faire des investigations mais surtout l’équipe de vaccination. Comme je l’ai dit on mobilise les communautés tout autour pour venir recevoir le vaccin dans un contexte où on a des alertes mais on n’a pas de moyens d’aller investiguer parce que l’accès reste limité. »
With up to 100 armed groups believed to operate in the vast forested region of eastern DRC bordering Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi, attacks on Ebola-hit communities have sparked a humanitarian crisis and threatened aid distribution, amid serious civil unrest.
“Since the start of this epidemic, there’s been one factor that we haven’t been able to control: the intervention context,” Dr Yao said, adding that “when these communities are attacked, there are demonstrations everywhere, which in fact stops Ebola intervention work”.
“Depuis le début de cette épidémie il y a un facteur qu’on ne maitrise pas, c’est le contexte d’intervention, notamment l’insécurité notamment des communautés qui lorsque ces communautés sont attaquées il y a des manifestations partout qui en fait arrêtent aussi les interventions d’Ebola.”
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR
Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies
As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
2
Edited News | UNMAS
Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.