UN seeks $76 million in emergency aid to support Madagascar through its “worst drought in a decade”
The island nation of Madagascar, one of the most impoverished countries in the word, has seen its agricultural season ruined by the worst drought in the decade, the UN humanitarian office said today.
Three consecutive droughts, compounded by the COVID-19 pandemic, have left more than 1,27 million people in the island’s Grand Sud area in desperate need of humanitarian assistance.
“The United Nations in Madagascar has just issued a Flash Appeal for US$76 million to urgently support over 1 million people who face huge and potentially life-threatening humanitarian needs for food, nutrition, water and sanitation and health assistance”, said Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
Speaking today at a news conference at the United Nations in Geneva, Laerke added that “we are trying to be out there urgently right now to save lives which are at risk. The COVID-19 situation has of course made everything much more difficult”.
The COVID-19 pandemic and associated lockdowns have driven people to the brink of survival.
“One of the things that are particular concerning is, of course, that the normal coping mechanisms for people during the lean season--because this is not the first time that we have food insecurity in Madagascar -- is often to send a family member to the larger cities to look for work so that they can send money back home. With COVID-19 this kind of coping mechanism is no longer available because people cannot move and there are no jobs available,” Laerke explained.
Cereal corps, including maize, have been hard-hit by climatic factors in Madagascar’s Grand Sud, and have also suffered due army worms outbreaks. These caterpillar pests attack crops especially after periods of drought, when their green leaf material they normally feed on has been depleted. The average infestation rate In Madagascar has been 53 per cent and yield losses on corn crops are being estimated at 47 per cent by the country’sMinistry of Agriculture.
“One in three people in the south are now severely food insecure. The food security analysis from last month December also showed the alarming projection for more than 135,000 children under the age of 5 suffering from acute malnutrition in the coming months in the Grand Sud, ” Laerke said in making the case for urgent donor support.
The Flash Appeal complements Madagascar’s own national response plan and focuses on the most urgent life-saving and life-sustaining needs of communities in the Grand Sud during the peak of the lean season. According to OCHA , the funding will help improve food security for 1.1 million people, provide access to water for 420,000 of the most vulnerable, give nutritional support to 300,000 children under age 5 and ensure essential health care services for 230,000 people.
Just a week ago, the UN’s World Food Programme appealed for $ 35 million in emergency aid to help fight hunger in the region.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , WHO
Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground
In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.