Lebanon strikes aftermath - WHO, UNHCR, WFP
/
5:20
/
MP4
/
623.2 MB
Download

Edited News | WHO , UNHCR , WFP

Lebanon strikes aftermath - WHO, UNHCR, WFP

Lebanon: People ‘still under the rubble’ after massive strikes as ambulances, hospitals come under threat – UN humanitarians

With Lebanon still reeling from Israel’s devastating airstrikes on 8 April, UN humanitarians reported new fears of attacks on ambulances and looming food shortages in the south of the country on Friday.

Speaking from Beirut, where he witnessed Wednesday’s attacks first-hand, the World Health Organization (WHO)’s representative in the country Dr Abdinasir Abubakar, said that according to the latest figures from Lebanon’s Ministry of Health some 300 people were killed in the strikes - one of the highest single-day death tolls since the start of the escalation between Israel and Hezbollah on 2 March - and 1,150 were injured.

“Many more people actually are still missing,” Dr Abubakar told reporters in Geneva. “They're believed to be under the rubble.”

Many body parts are also waiting to be identified, he said.

The UN health agency official also spoke of a warning received from Israel on Friday morning that “ambulances will be attacked as well.”

He said that Israel had been warning about “the use of ambulances by Hezbollah”.

WHO has insisted that while health care should not be militarized, misuse of health facilities or ambulances does not justify attacking them.

“The healthcare workers, the facilities, the ambulances are all protected under international humanitarian law,” Dr Abubakar said.

“Unless we have these services available, we will not be able to save lives.”

On Thursday WHO also received a warning that Israeli evacuation orders have been expanded in the Jneh area of Beirut which includes “two major hospitals that are managing the mass casualty [event], Rafik Hariri and Al Zahara hospital.”

The facilities are currently operating at full capacity. Dr Abubakar stressed the impossibility of potentially having to move the 450 patients, including some 50 in intensive care after having sustained injuries in Wednesday’s bombing, out of the health facilities.

“We have decided not to evacuate because we don't have any other place to evacuate them [to], actually,” he said.

The UN health agency official added that overnight “we received some feedback saying that these hospitals will be will not be attacked… whether that will materialize or not we will see.”

Amid the surge in emergency cases, Dr Abubakar noted that even before Wednesday’s mass casualty event the country did not have enough medical supplies to last even one month.

The 8 April airstrikes took place just hours after a ceasefire was announced between the United States and Iran. Hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah have continued, while according to media reports Iran said on Friday that it would not take part in peace talks planned for Saturday in Pakistan if the ceasefire was not extended to Lebanon.

UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) spokesperson Eujin Byun said that families who had already fled earlier hostilities in Beirut, the Bekaa Valley and southern Lebanon – some of whom had begun contemplating returns after mixed signals about a ceasefire – were now once again uprooted.

Areas previously considered safe were struck on Wednesday, she said, “triggering panic and forcing people to flee for the second or third time.”

Ms. Byun added that the destruction of the Qasmiyeh Bridge, a major artery connecting the southern cities of Sidon and Tyre, has made “moving between northern and southern Lebanon much more difficult.”

“For many families from southern villages, return is no longer possible as the entire communities have been partially or completely destroyed,” she said.

The UNHCR spokesperson stressed that some 150,000 people are estimated to still be in the South and that humanitarian access to them is essential.

“They need a safe route to flee if they are forced to again,” she insisted.

The World Food Programme (WFP)’s director in Lebanon Allison Oman, who was on a convoy to a border village in the south earlier this week, gave reporters an eyewitness account of the situation there.

“What I saw really stayed with me,” she recounted, describing a local bakery which “had the glass front destroyed just an hour before we'd been there, and they were already sweeping up the glass and had already fired up the ovens because they were waiting for the wheat flour that we were bringing in on the convoy.”

“Their food stocks were very low, and it was clear that this convoy was much awaited… it was essential to help them keep going,” she said.

Ms. Oman warned that the situation is “rapidly becoming a food security crisis,” with food prices rising across the country.

“In just one month, the price of vegetables has surged by more than 20 per cent, bread prices have increased by 17 per cent... For families who are already struggling, this is deeply concerning,” she said, highlighting a “very worrying combination” where prices are rising, incomes are disrupted and demand is increasing.

The UN food agency official also stressed that in the conflict-affected areas in southern parts of Lebanon, more than 80 per cent of markets are no longer functioning.

“Many traders [are] reporting less than one week of essential food stocks remaining, she warned.

-ends-

STORY Lebanon strikes aftermath – WHO, UNHCR, WFP

TRT: 5:20’’

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: CREDIT UNHCR FOOTAGE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 10 APRIL 2026 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND and 9 APRIL 2026 BEIRUT, LEBANON

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Medium-wide reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Abdinasir Abubakar, Representative in Lebanon, World Health Organization (WHO): “According to the Ministry of Health, the latest figures of the impact of that, you know, 8 April, there's almost over 300 deaths and 1,150 injuries, but many more people actually are still missing them. They're believed to be under the rubble. We also do have many, many, you know, body parts that still cannot be identified, actually, and waiting to be identified.”

4. Medium reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Abdinasir Abubakar, Representative in Lebanon, World Health Organization (WHO): “This morning, we received another, you know, a warning from the Israelis where the, you know, the ambulances will be attacked as well. And I just would like to remind that both the healthcare workers, the facilities, the ambulances are all protected under international humanitarian law. And unless we have these services available, we will not be able to save lives.”

6. Medium shot: Journalist in the Press room.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Abdinasir Abubakar, Representative in Lebanon, World Health Organization (WHO): “In addition to that what we have seen on 8 April, actually, is the subsequent evacuation order that happened yesterday in the area called Jneh in Beirut where two major hospitals that are managing the mass casualty, Rafik Hariri and Al Zahara hospital, were included [in] the evacuation order. These two hospitals actually are currently having 450 patients. Of these 50 of them are in ICU and you can imagine now, you know, this caseload, where to transfer these hospitals.”

8. Medium shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Eujin Byun, spokesperson, UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR): “Areas previously considered safe were struck this time, triggering panic and forcing people to flee for the second or third time. The destruction of the Qasmiyeh Bridge has made access to Tyre from Sidon even more restricted, making moving between northern and southern Lebanon much more difficult.”

10. Medium shot: Journalist in the Press room.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Eujin Byun, spokesperson, UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR): “For many families from southern villages, return is no longer possible as the entire communities have been partially or completely destroyed. Some 150,000 people are estimated to still be in the South. Humanitarian access to them is essential and they need a safe route to flee if they are forced to again.”

12. Medium-wide reverse shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Allison Oman, Country Director in Lebanon, World Food Programme (WFP): “Their local bakery had the glass front destroyed just an hour before we'd been there, and they were already sweeping up the glass and had already fired up the ovens because they were waiting for the wheat flour that we were bringing in on the convoy. Their food stocks were very low, and it was clear that this convoy was much awaited and it was essential to help them keep going.”

14. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Allison Oman, Country Director in Lebanon, World Food Programme (WFP): “It is rapidly becoming a food security crisis. We're already seeing clear signs of rising food prices across Lebanon. In just one month, the price of vegetables has surged by more than 20 per cent, bread prices have increased by 17 per cent. For families who are already struggling, this is deeply concerning. And what we're now seeing is a very worrying combination. Prices are rising, incomes are disrupted and demand is increasing.”

16. Medium-wide reverse shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

17. SOUNDBITE (English) – Allison Oman, Country Director in Lebanon, World Food Programme (WFP): “While markets across Lebanon remain broadly functional at the national level, this is actually masking much more severe reality in these conflict-affected areas. In southern parts of Lebanon. More than 80 per cent of markets are no longer functioning, with many traders reporting less than one week of essential food stocks remaining.”

18. UNHCR BROLL: 09 APRIL 2026, BEIRUT, LEBANON. Various shots, destruction in Beirut. Cars and residential buildings were destroyed. Civilians cleaning. PLEASE CREDIT UNHCR ON SCREEN


Audio Files 1
Download Lebanon strikes aftermath - WHO, UNHCR, WFP (Edited Story)
Download

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.