DR Congo crisis WFP 07 November 2025
/
3:36
/
MP4
/
423.3 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WFP

DR Congo crisis WFP 07 November 2025

DR Congo hunger crisis worsening amid fighting and lack of aid funding

The crisis in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) continues to worsen amid ongoing fighting that has driven tens of thousands of people from their homes and created acute hunger, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

UN aid agencies are struggling in particular in provinces overrun by Rwanda-backed M23 rebel fighters at the start of the year, although dramatic funding shortfalls for humanitarian work have also contributed to the dire situation.

Kigali has consistently denied providing military backing to the group.

Help could be provided more easily if air access were re-established, WFP insisted, as two airports in M23 areas “have been closed basically since the end of January…we're urgently calling for a humanitarian air corridor, to be established”, said Cynthia Jones, WFP’s Country Director for DRC.

The alert follows the release of a report by UN-backed food insecurity experts at the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification platform (IPC), warning that nearly 25 million people are experiencing high levels of food insecurity, denoted as IPC3 on a scale of one to five, with five indicating famine.

This includes an alarming three million individuals who face “emergency” levels of hunger – IPC4 – a number that is “surging” and which is “almost double since last year”, said Ms. Jones. “This means what for families? It means that they're skipping their meals, depleting all of their household assets. They're selling off their animals,” she said, speaking via video from Kinshasa to journalists in Geneva.

According to the UN agency, “people are already dying of hunger” in parts of eastern DR Congo.

Ms. Jones noted that fighting between M23 members and DRC government forces is continuing, sparking new displacement and people “forced from their home over and over again”.

In eastern DR Congo, this has left about 5.2 million displaced people “including 1.6 million that have been displaced this year alone, making DRC one of the world's largest displaced person crisis”, the WFP official added.

Despite deepening hunger, funding is running out for lifesaving humanitarian work and the UN agency has been forced to reduce the number of people it assists, from around one million at the start of the year, to 600,000 now.

“We will only be able to support a fraction of those in need” moving forward, Ms. Jones said, in an appeal for $350 million to support emergency food and nutrition assistance over the next six months. “Without it, we will have to make further cuts reduce [assistance] even further, down to 300,000 - which is only 10 per cent of the three million in need.”

Without a significant funding boost, the WFP warned of a “total pipeline break” in assistance by March 2026. “That means a complete halt of all emergency food assistance in the eastern provinces.”

The dire funding shortfall has also impacted the agency internally, too. “We're starting to close downtown offices, we're reducing our footprint, the number of staff and juggling how to maintain the operational capacity to deliver in a very complex environment,” Ms. Jones explained.

And yet aid assistance remains vital for those displaced in eastern provinces including North Kivu, South Kivu, Ituri and Tanganyika because vital services have closed amid ongoing insecurity.

“The banks are closed, there's no money available and this has just had a major impact on the population and on the humanitarian response,” Ms. Jones explained. “It has devastated livelihoods and really put the food security of affected people in dire, dire circumstances.”

As the conflict drags on, families seek shelter in urban centres such as Ituri, where host communities are already struggling to cope. Equally worrying is the fact that millions of subsistence farmers forced from their homes or too fearful to access their land have missed the planting season this year.

“The women, children, men, they've just been suffering devastating sequences of the violence, perpetrated by the non-state armed groups and fleeing from conflict. They're tired, exhausted and need peace,” Ms. Jones insisted.

ends

STORY: DR Congo crisis - WFP
TRT: 03 min 35s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 7 NOVEMBER 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Speaker:



SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying.
  2. Wide shot, podium speaker and remote speaker shown on TV screens, UN Information Service Geneva Press room, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “What we have is the latest food security analysis report by IPC which has been released a few days ago. And it shows that the numbers of people that are facing emergency levels of hunger is surging. It is almost double since last year.”
  4. Wide shot, podium speaker and remote speaker shown on TV screens.
  5. 3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “An alarming three million people are in that emergency category. And this means what for families? It means that they're skipping their meals, depleting all of their household assets. They're selling off their animals, their last goat. And as I said, this figure has doubled since the last one since last year, last year's report, so the report a year ago.”
  6. Wide, TV screens showing remote speaker, journalists in Press room.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “Two airports in M23 areas have been closed basically since the end of January and we're urgently calling on – calling for - a humanitarian air corridor, to be established.”
  8. Wide, journalists.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “New displacement continues as the fighting continues. So, people have been forced from their home over and over again. In the eastern part, there's about 5.2 million displaced people including 1.6 million that have been displaced this year alone, making DRC one of the world's largest displaced person crisis.”
  10. Wide, Press room, TV journalist, control booth operators.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “Hunger is deepening and getting worse, funding is running out. And we will only be able to support a fraction of those in need. We have been forced to cut our assistance right here.”
  12. Wide, journalists, participants, TV screen showing remote speaker.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “That's how dire the situation is. We're starting to close downtown offices, we're reducing our footprint, the number of staff and juggling how to maintain the operational capacity to deliver in a very complex environment.”
  14. Medium, journalist working on laptop.
  15. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “The banks are closed, there's no money available and this has just had a major impact on the population and on the humanitarian response. And of course, it has devastated livelihoods and really put the food security of affected people in dire, dire circumstances.”
  16. Medium, participants.
  17. SOUNDBITE (English) — Cynthia Jones, Country Director for DRC, UN World Food Programme (WFP) from Kinshasa: “Behind all of these stark statistics, you know, the women, children, men, they've just been suffering devastating sequences of the violence, perpetrated by the non-state armed groups and fleeing from conflict. They're tired, exhausted and need peace.”
  18. Medium, journalist.


Audio Files 1
Download DR Congo crisis WFP 07 November 2025 (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO ENG FRA

Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO  

As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division

1

1

1

Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division ENG FRA

This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.

Gaza education update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Gaza education update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF 

Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.