‘We need all routes to open’: in Gaza WHO calls for ramp-up of medevacs, easier access for essentials
Two weeks since a ceasefire agreement entered into force in Gaza the World Health Organization (WHO) noted progress on the flow of aid while calling for more evacuations of critical patients and eased entry for essential medicines and supplies.
Speaking from Jerusalem on Friday, WHO’s representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, said that while the agency has been rapidly scaling up its operations, more access routes into the enclave are needed.
“Opening up all the crossings is critical and even more so to get diverse food, shelter and all shelter-related items with the winter approaching,” he said, briefing reporters in Geneva.
Only the Kerem Shalom and Kissufim crossings in the southern half of the Strip are open. Dr. Peeperkorn reiterated recent calls from humanitarians to open the Rafah crossing for people and goods, as well as Zikim and Erez crossings, as their closure limits direct access to the famine-stricken north, “making it difficult to deliver critical support… to health facilities on the scale required”.
The WHO representative highlighted the devastation of Gaza’s health system following two years of a brutal war and underscored the urgent need for more hospital capacity, currently limited to some 2,100 inpatient beds across for a population of 2.1 million.
Several major health facilities including Kamal Adwan, Al-Awda, Indonesian and European Gaza Hospital lie beyond the “yellow line” to which Israeli forces withdrew earlier this month as part of the first stage of the US-driven peace plan for Gaza, making them “inaccessible for people and non-functional”, Dr. Peeperkorn said.
More than 170,000 people have been injured over the course of the conflict and lives are on the line as many critical patients are unable to access treatment within the enclave. Dr. Peeperkorn said that on Thursday WHO carried out the first medical evacuation since the ceasefire, of 41 patients and 145 companions, to various countries.
The agency aims to scale up medical evacuations to a minimum of 50 patients per day plus companions, in line with the previous ceasefire.
“All medical corridors need to be opened,” Dr. Peeperkorn insisted, as some 15,000 people including almost 4,000 children are in need of medical evacuation. “The most important one would be the reopening of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem referral hospitals... It is vital and it's the most cost-effective route.”
The WHO representative added that the reopening of this route would be a “game changer”. He also called for the reopening of Rafah crossing for daily medical evacuations into Egypt while also “continuing regular medevacs through Kerem Shalom to Ramon Airport [in Israel] and Jordan”.
“The other key ask is that we need more countries to step forward to receive patients,” Dr. Peeperkorn said. “For next week, we have two medevac plans, but… we want to be able to do medevacs every day.”
Asked about his impressions following the first meetings earlier this week of the Civil-Military Coordination Centre set up by the US to oversee the implementation of the ceasefire, the UN health agency representative said that he wants to be “hopeful”.
The meetings brought together Israeli authorities and the UN and partners. Dr. Peeperkorn said that the new mechanism should facilitate the rapid entry of aid and also, in the future, of “massive supplies for recovery and reconstruction”.
On Thursday the Deputy Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Ramiz Alakbarov, told the Security Council that the UN is “closely engaging in all relevant coordination mechanisms” and welcomed efforts to facilitate a scaling up of assistance, including through the new Centre.
WHO’s Dr. Peeperkorn highlighted the most urgent improvements to be made and described concrete steps to shorten approval delays for Gaza-bound relief items.
“We made a consolidated list of essential medicines and medical supplies… priority items which are used in every hospital around the world,” he said. “We want to get a kind of a blanket approval for that list… that would help a lot.”
Dr. Peeperkorn also expressed hope for a “completely different approach” towards so-called dual-use items, the entry of which is restricted due to concerns around potential military applications.
“We need CT scans in, we need spare parts in, we need MRIs in, we need X-rays in, we need ultrasounds in,” he said. “All of that has been consistently delayed or has been made very difficult... I do expect with the Civil-Military Coordination Centre that this will be facilitated in the future,” he explained.
“We all know that this will be a long and winding road, with a lot of setbacks and obstructions,” the UN health agency representative said. “But we can only be hopeful that this ceasefire will hold, that we go to peace and we get to a proper political solution.”
-ENDS -
STORY Gaza health update - WHO
TRT: 2:45”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 24 OCTOBER 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.
2. Wide shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, Representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, World Health Organization (WHO): “Opening up all the crossings is critical and even more so to get diverse food, shelter and all shelter-related items with the winter approaching.”
4. Medium shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens.
5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, Representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, World Health Organization (WHO): “Currently, the Kerem Shalom and Kissufim crossings are open and allowing more supplies to flow into Gaza. However, Rafah crossing for people and goods is still not open and Zikim and Erez crossing also remain closed, limiting direct access to the north and making it difficult to deliver critical support for us to health facilities on the scale required.”
6. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, Representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, World Health Organization (WHO): “Several key facilities that lie beyond the so-called ceasefire, this yellow line where everybody is discussing, including Kamal Adwan, Al-Awda, Indonesian, European Gaza Hospital are inaccessible for people and non-functional.”
8. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, Representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, World Health Organization (WHO): “Around 15,000 plus people, of which almost 4,000 children, need medical evacuation. So our key asks are very clear on this on this file. First, all medical corridors need to be opened. The most important one would be the reopening of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem referral hospitals and referral route. It is vital and it's the most cost-effective route. If that route opens, it would really be a little game changer.”
10. Medium shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens.
11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, Representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, World Health Organization (WHO): “The other key ask is that we need more countries to step forward to receive patients. For next week, we have two medevac plans, but as I stated before, we want to be able to do medevacs every day.”
12. Medium shot: Journalist in the Press room.
13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, Representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, World Health Organization (WHO): “We made a consolidated list of essential medicines and medical supplies and consumables, which are absolutely priority items and which are used in every hospital around the world, and we want to get a kind of a blanket approval for that list. That's the first, that would help a lot.”
14. Medium shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens.
15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, Representative in the occupied Palestinian territory, World Health Organization (WHO): “We all know that this will be a long and winding road, with a lot of setbacks and obstructions, etcetera. But we can only be hopeful that this ceasefire will hold, that we go to peace and we get to a proper political solution.”
16. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR
Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies
As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
2
Edited News | UNMAS
Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Sudan: ‘History repeating itself’ for Darfur’s children - UNICEF
Mass atrocities in Sudan’s Darfur 20 years ago reverberated as far as Hollywood, but today, a new generation of children faces attacks, hunger and displacement in an emergency largely ignored by the outside world, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.