Steps away from famine in Sudan
/
3:35
/
MP4
/
264.2 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | FAO , WFP

Steps away from famine in Sudan - FAO - WFP

UN relief teams warn of record levels of hunger in Sudan amid ongoing conflict

With conflict and economic decline continuing across Sudan, UN humanitarians on Friday dubbed the country “one of the most food-insecure…on the planet”.

More than 20.3 million people – at least 42 per cent of the population – now experience high levels of acute food insecurity, according to the latest Integrated Food Security Phase (IPC) projections.

“The situation is critical” and families are encountering “unimaginable suffering”, said Adam Yao, Deputy UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Representative in Sudan.

Speaking from Port Sudan via Zoom to journalists in Geneva, Mr; Yao said that compared to the results from the last IPC analysis conducted in May 2022, the number of highly food-insecure people will nearly double between July and September 2023.

Some 14 million people are facing “Crisis” levels of hunger (IPC Phase 3) and nearly 6.2 million people face “Emergency” levels of acute hunger (IPC Phase 4), Mr. Yao said.

The states most severely affected are those grappling with active conflict, including Khartoum, South and West Kordofan, along with Central, East, South and West Darfur, where “over half of the population is facing acute hunger”.

Latest displacement data indicates that some four million people have been displaced from Sudan in a little over 100 days, since fighting erupted between the Sudanese Army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), with Khartoum State remaining the epicentre of the conflict.

The UN agency said that critical infrastructure, including healthcare facilities, power sources and telecommunications had suffered significant damage, further exacerbating food insecurity and malnutrition. Market disruptions and soaring food prices have compounded the population's struggle to access essential goods and services.

Echoing the FAO concerns, Eddie Rowe, World Food Programme (WFP) Country Director for Sudan, pointed out that in the nearly four months since the conflict started, their “grim prediction” had come true, that hunger would rise to engulf more than 19 million people. Mr. Rowe described the operating environment in Sudan as “the most challenging that I have experienced in my career”, with the need to gain access to people in need of life-saving food assistance becoming “more challenging and increasingly urgent”.

On a positive note, the WFP spokesperson said that there was a major breakthrough last week when, for the first time, the agency delivered food assistance in West Darfur State. He explained that “a convoy of five trucks transporting 125 metric tonnes of food commodities travelled from eastern Chad to West Darfur where we were able to assist about 15,400 people in three villages”.

Mr. Rowe said that he hoped that the route from Chad will become “a regular humanitarian corridor to reach these families in West Darfur, especially in Geneina – the capital of West Darfur - but more importantly inwards into Zalingei in central Darfur, where lives have been torn apart by the violence”.

Mr. Yao also explained that the FAO has managed to procure 8,840 tonnes of cereal (sorghum and millet) and okra seed, despite the complex security conditions. These have reached more than half a million farming households across the country. The FAO aims to reach up to one million farmers in time for the planting season, in order to produce enough cereal to cover the needs of up to 19 million people for a year. The spokesperson pointed out that FAO became “the first UN agency to reach West Kordofan and East Darfur since the conflict began and has managed to distribute the seed to farmers through its local partners”. He explained that this milestone has facilitated access to North and South Darfur, allowing FAO to broaden its assistance to vulnerable communities.

Mr Yao. added that the success of the campaign is a reminder of “the importance of agriculture as a cost-efficient front-line humanitarian intervention to reduce vulnerability and strengthen food and nutrition security.”

ENDS

STORY: Steps away from famine in Sudan - FAO - WFP

TRT: 03’35”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH /NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 11 AUGUST 2023, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, United Nations flag flying.
  2. Wide shot, panel at briefing.
  3. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Adam Yao, Deputy FAO Representative in Sudan:
  4. “The food security situation in the country is deeply alarming. According to the latest IPC report, the July to September 2023 projection is nearly double the number of food-insecure people compared to the last IPC analysis conducted in May 2022.”
  5. Mid shot, attendees at briefing.
  6. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Adam Yao, Deputy FAO Representative in Sudan: “20.3 million people across Sudan, over 42 per cent of the population now face high level of acute food insecurity, making this one of the most food-insecure countries on the planet. More than 6.2 million people are categorized at emergency level IPC phase four - steps away from famine.”
  7. Close of journalists typing.
  8. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Adam Yao, Deputy FAO Representative in Sudan: “The situation is critical. A state like Khartoum, South and West Kordofan and parts of Darfur are the hardest hit, with over half the population facing acute hunger. Families are facing unimaginable suffering. And I've seen the impact of this conflict with my very eyes.”
  9. Mid-side view of attendees at briefing.
  10. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Adam Yao, Deputy FAO Representative in Sudan: “FAO was the first UN agency to reach West Kordofan and East Darfur since the conflict began and has managed to distribute the seed to farmers through its local partners. This milestone has facilitated access to North and South Darfur, allowing FAO to broader its assistance to vulnerable communities.”
  11. Mid of attendee at briefing.
  12. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Adam Yao, Deputy FAO Representative in Sudan: “The success of the campaign is a reminder of the importance of agriculture as a cost-efficient front-line humanitarian intervention to reduce vulnerability and strengthen food and nutrition security.”
  13. Mid-side view of journalists with screen in background.
  14. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Eddie Rowe, WFP Country Director for Sudan: “ Last week, we had a major breakthrough: for the first time WFP was able to deliver food assistance in West Darfur State. We had a convoy of about five trucks that transported 125 metric tons of food commodities from eastern Chad to west Darfur, where we were able to assist about 15,400 people in three villages.”
  15. Mid of panel at the briefing.
  16. SOUNDBITE: (ENGLISH) Eddie Rowe, WFP Country Director for Sudan: “We do hope that this route from Chad will become a regular humanitarian corridor to allow us to reach these families in Western Darfur, who particularly in Geneina, the capital of West Darfur, but more importantly inwards into Zalingei in central Darfur, where lives have been torn apart by violence.”
  17. Close of attendee at briefing.
  18. Mid-side view of attendees at briefing.
  19. Mid-side view of laptop screen.

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.