UNOG-NEWS DRC East Death Toll UNHCR 22JUN2022
/
1:47
/
MP4
/
131.4 MB

Edited News | UNHCR

DRC East Death Toll UNHCR 22 June 2022

Speaker: Matt Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson

STORY: DRC Death Toll of Displaced - UNHCR

TRT: 1’47”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: Friday 22 July 2022, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

UN Refugee agency alarmed by growing violence and displacement in eastern DR Congo


As conflict grows in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the accumulating death toll and suffering of displaced civilians in brutal attacks is raising serious concerns for the UN Refugee agency, UNHCR, who appealed for fresh funds to meet "soaring needs" in the country.


“This month, simultaneous attacks by armed groups in Ituri Province have left 11 people dead and 250 homes looted and burned. Between February and June this year, UNHCR and partners recorded over 800 deaths from firearm attacks and machete raids on local communities in Ituri,” reported UNHCR spokesperson Matthew Saltmarsh at a press briefing this Friday in Geneva.

According to the UNHCR, at least 715 of the victims had been sheltering in internal displacement sites or were killed as they returned home.

In June alone, 97 people were killed in attacks that included abductions, looting, and burning of homes, UNHCR says. More than twenty thousand people have been driven from their homes by such raids, which are also fueling acute food insecurity in the eastern Ituri province, as agricultural development in this fertile region has been stymied by long-standing intercommunal clashes. In North Kivu province, a settlement for internally displaced people was torn apart last month by armed men.


“In recent weeks, fighting between the Congolese Army and the M23 group in North Kivu Province has displaced more than 160,000 people across Rutshuru and Nyiragongo territories. The redeployment of government troops to this conflict has created power vacuums and a fragile security environment in both Ituri and North Kivu,” noted the UNHCR spokesperson.

Strings of coordinated attacks by multiple militia groups are terrorizing communities in the region. The March 23 Movement, known as M23, was defeated by Congo’s army and special MONUSCO forces in 2013. But these rebel forces began to reemerge in November 2021.

“The lack of security compounds the existing challenge of intercommunal strife, the lack of infrastructure and an absence of institutions in the region. It also fuels intensified cycles of violence, generating further instability and undermining peace and development efforts,” said Mr. Saltmarsh.

"Soaring needs" of newly displaced people in an endemic conflict

The humanitarian situation in the east of the country remains extremely fluid as a result of endemic conflicts between communities and between non-state armed groups and security forces, as well as ongoing social and economic challenges and extreme weather events.


“UNHCR’s operation in DRC has received just 19 per cent of the US$225 million required to respond to the increasing needs of refugee and displaced people with urgent and life-saving support,” said Matthew Saltmarsh. That was the budget based on the estimated needs at the beginning of the year. Additional resources are now required to match the soaring needs of newly displaced populations.


UNHCR urged all parties to immediately stop violence, and to respect international humanitarian and human rights law to protect civilians and humanitarian workers. With more than 5.6 million people displaced, the DRC has the largest number of internally displaced people on the African continent.

Ends

  1. Medium shot, UN Geneva flag alley.
  2. Wide shot, press room with panel of speakers.
  3. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “This month, simultaneous attacks by armed groups in Ituri Province have left 11 people dead and 250 homes looted and burned. Between February and June this year, UNHCR and partners recorded over 800 deaths from firearm attacks and machete raids on local communities in Ituri.”
  4. Medium shot, lateral, journalists.
  5. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “In recent weeks, fighting between the Congolese Army and the M23 group in North Kivu Province has displaced more than 160,000 people across Rutshuru and Nyiragongo territories. The redeployment of government troops to this conflict has created power vacuums and a fragile security environment in both Ituri and North Kivu.”
  6. Close shot of UN staff.
  7. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: ““lack security compounds the existing challenge of intercommunal strife, the lack of infrastructure and an absence of institutions in the region. It also fuels intensified cycles of violence, generating further instability and undermining peace and development efforts”.
  8. Medium shot of journalists in the press room
  9. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: ““UNHCR’s operation in DRC has received just 19 per cent of the US$225 million required to respond to the increasing needs of refugee and displaced people with urgent and life-saving support.”
  10. Various shots of press room, journalists and UN staff listening.

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025 ENG FRA

World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response 

Gaza update -  UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

Gaza update - UN Women ENG FRA

Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women

Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon ENG FRA

Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory ENG FRA

A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility. 

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025 ENG FRA

Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.

Gaza update  UNICEF - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA

Gaza update UNICEF - OCHA ENG FRA

Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard

Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO ENG FRA

Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?

That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank. 

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan ENG FRA

At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.