Commission Of Inquiry On Syria- Report Launch
/
3:18
/
MP4
/
243.9 MB
Download Expired

Edited News , Press Conferences | OHCHR

OHCHR - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Syria 13 March 2023

At the launch of their latest report on Monday, two days before the 12th anniversary of the onset of the Syrian crisis, the UN Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic called for an independent investigation for alleged failures by the Syrian Government, the international community, including the United Nations, to rapidly direct urgent life-saving aid to northwest Syria after the massive earthquakes struck on February 6th.

“Syrians, for good reasons, felt abandoned and neglected by those supposed to protect them in the most desperate of their times,” said Paulo Pinheiro, Chairperson of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic, speaking today to journalists at the United Nations in Geneva. He added that “many voices are rightly calling, and we agree with that, for an investigation on accountability to understand what this failure, this disaster happened beyond the earthquake”.

The Commission concluded that in the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, it took the Syrian Government a full week to consent to life-saving cross-border aid access. The Government and opposing Syrian National Army (SNA) both impeded cross-line aid to affected communities, while Hayat Tahrir al Sahm (HTS) in northwest Syria refused cross-line aid from Damascus, the Commissioners said.

“Clearly the armed groups were not helping by obstructing aid coming cross lines,” said Hanny Megally, member of the Syria Commission. “The Syrian Government in Damascus took a week before they even allowed for the extra two crossings, and the United Nations and the international community seemed paralyzed during that period and that‘s really what needs to be looked into.”

Precious time was lost, the Commissioner maintained, to get the approval of two new border crossing points authorised by the UN Security Council.

“We have always argued there is no need for Security Council resolution anywhere when you have people in desperate straits," Mr. Megally said. "And this was an earthquake, it was an exceptional circumstance and legal scholars will argue in exceptional circumstances you can act even if it means crossing boundaries or trampling on state sovereignty, so to speak”.

Though the Commission is calling for a comprehensive ceasefire that is fully respected for civilians to be safe, including aid workers, “we are now investigating fresh attacks even in the very areas devastated by the earthquakes", said Mr. Pinheiro. “These include last week’s reported Israeli attack on Aleppo international airport, a conduit for humanitarian aid.”

The latest report, prepared before the devastating earthquakes, is based on 467 first-hand interviews, corroborated by satellite imagery, photographs, videos and documents. It provides a summary of violations committed against civilians in Syria during the second half of last year.

Civilians in the earthquake-affected northwest were particularly exposed to deadly attacks in the preceding months.

“We are really appalled that nearly 12 years into the conflict, Syrian Government forces used cluster ammunitions to strike densely populated displacement camps in opposition-held Idlib governorate, killing and injuring at least 67 civilians,” said Mr. Pinheiro, describing a single indiscriminate attack which occurred in November 2022.

These and other atrocities that the Commission investigated continue a long-established pattern of indiscriminate attacks, which may amount to war crimes.

The report concludes that parties to the conflict in Syria committed widespread human rights violations and abuses in the months leading up to the earthquakes, continuing a decade-long pattern of failures to protect Syrian civilians.

Further, the Commission of Inquiry found that conditions for safe and dignified return are still not in place in Syria. Some Syrians were denied return outright, their report said. Others were arbitrarily arrested or prevented from accessing their homes and property upon return.

In the northeast, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) continues to unlawfully hold 56,000 people, 56,000 people, mainly women and children, in Al-Hol and Roj camps, where conditions continue to deteriorate,” said Mr. Pinheiro.

Commission member Lynn Welchman pointed out that “these camps are horrendous places, mostly women and children are living in there, some 56,000 now, probably some 37,000 non-Syrians, it’s hard to find out exact numbers. Health care is very limited, education is very limited particularly for children, some of those children have no life apart from these awful conditions.”

The Commission will present its report to the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on 21 March 2023.

-ends

STORY: Commission of Inquiry on Syria – Report launch

TRT: 3:24 mins

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 13 March 2023 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Medium shot, UN Geneva flag alley.
  2. Wide shot, press room with Commissioners on the podium
  3. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) – Hanny Megally, Commissioner of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic: “Clearly the armed groups were not helping by obstructing aid coming cross lines. The Syrian Government in Damascus took a week before they even allowed for the extra two crossings, and the United Nations and the international community seemed paralyzed during that period and that ‘s really what needs to be looked into”.
  4. Medium shot, laptop in front with speaker in background
  5. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) – Paulo Pinheiro, Chairperson of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic: “We are now investigating fresh attacks even in the very areas devastated by the earthquakes. These include last week’s reported Israeli attack on Aleppo international airport, a conduit for humanitarian aid”.
  6. Medium shot, photographers
  7. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) - Paulo Pinheiro, Chairperson of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic: “We are really appalled that nearly 12 years into the conflict, Syrian Government forces used cluster ammunitions to strike densely populated displacement camps in opposition held Idlib governorate killing and injuring at least 67 civilians”.
  8. Close up, journalists in front of screen with speaker
  9. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) - Paulo Pinheiro, Chairperson of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic: “Syrians, for good reasons, felt abandoned and neglected by those supposed to protect them in the most desperate of their times. Many voices are rightly calling, and we agree with that for an investigation on accountability to understand what this failure, this disaster happened beyond the earthquake.”
  10. Medium shot, members of the Commission
  11. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) - Hanny Megally, Commissioner of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic: “We have always argued there is no need for Security Council resolution anywhere when you have people in desperate straits. And this was an earthquake, it was an exceptional circumstance and legal scholars will argue in exceptional circumstances you can act even if it means crossing boundaries or trampling on state sovereignty so to speak”.
  12. Medium shot, photographer taking picture of the three Commissioners at the podium
  13. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) - Paulo Pinheiro, Chairperson of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic: “In the northeast, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) continues to unlawfully hold 56,000 people, 56,000 people, mainly women and children, in Al-Hawl and Roj camps, where conditions continue to deteriorate”.
  14. Medium shot, Commissioners at podium
  15. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) – Lynn Welchman, Commissioner of the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic: “These camps are horrendous places, mostly women and children are living in there, some 56, 000 now, probably some 37,000 non-Syrians, it’s hard to find out exact numbers. Health care is very limited, education is very limited particularly for children, some of those children have no life apart from these awful conditions”.
  16. Wide shot, press briefing room
  17. Medium shot, journalists listening
  18. Wide shot, press briefing room with Commissioners at podium and


Audio Files 1
Download OHCHR - Press conference of the Commission of Inquiry on Syria 13 March 2023 (Continuity)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO ENG FRA

Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians

Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 20 February 2026

1

1

1

Press Conferences | IFRC , OHCHR , UN WOMEN , UNICEF , WFP , WHO

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 20 February 2026 ENG FRA

Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the spokespersons and representatives of UN Women, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Children’s Fund, the World Food Programme, and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

HRC - Investigative Bodies Press Conference : Fact-Finding Mission for the Sudan

1

1

1

Press Conferences | HRC

HRC - Investigative Bodies Press Conference : Fact-Finding Mission for the Sudan ENG FRA

HRC Investigative Bodies press conference - Launch of a report of the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission for the Sudan

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 17 February 2026

1

1

1

Press Conferences | UNICEF Giga , UNICEF , IOM , UNHCR , OHCHR , UNECE , WHO

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 17 February 2026 ENG FRA

Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the representatives and spokespersons of the World Health Organization, the International Organization for Migration, the United Nations Children’s Fund, the United Nations Refugee Agency, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, and the Giga Initiative.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 13 February 2026

1

1

1

Press Conferences | OHCHR , UNHCR , UNICEF , WFP

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 13 February 2026 ENG FRA

Rolando Gómez, Chief of the Press and External Relations Section at the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the spokespersons and representatives of the United Nations Children’s Fund, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the World Food Programme, the United Nations Refugee Agency, and the World Health Organization.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 10 February 2026

1

1

1

Press Conferences | UNOG , UNICEF , WHO , OCHA , OHCHR

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 10 February 2026 ENG FRA

UN Geneva press briefing chaired by Rolando Gómez, Chief, Press and External Relations Section, UN Information Service with speakers from UNICEF, the WHO, OCHA and OHCHR