UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 Update - WHO
/
2:55
/
MP4
/
215.6 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WHO

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 Update - WHO

UN health agency urges nations to donate 250 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine

Some two billion doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been distributed globally but only 0.5 per cent have reached low-income countries where frontline health workers and the elderly have yet to receive a shot, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

“This week, we see over two billion doses, we’ll probably pass the two billion doses if we have not already passed it landmark, in terms of number of doses of these vaccines, these new COVID vaccines that have actually been developed. And these have been distributed now in over 212 countries,” said Dr Bruce Aylward, Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub.

Dr Aylward, who is also Senior Advisor to the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, noted that of those two billion doses, “over 75 per cent” had gone to just 10 countries, notably China, the US and India.

This trio “account for about 60 per cent of those doses”, said Dr Aylward, speaking via Zoom, adding that “at the other end of that spectrum” only about “point five per cent of doses” had reached the lowest income countries, which account for about 10 per cent of world population.

This had led increasingly to “a two-track recovery”, characterised by the successful rollout of vaccines to high-risk populations and even younger populations in higher income and vaccine-producing countries.

By contrast, “in the lower income countries, they’re still struggling to get sufficient product just to be able to vaccinate the health care workers, older populations, who are really the key to getting out of you know, the health, societal and economic crisis that we’re in the midst of,” Dr Aylward explained, in an urgent appeal for 250 million doses to protect frontline workers and the most vulnerable people.

“The call is for a quarter of a billion doses out through the period through end of September to be donated, at least 100 million of those in June and July - that’s what we need to get the system going.”

The WHO official noted that on Thursday the United States had helped to kickstart the appeal and bolster the UN-partnered equitable vaccine distribution scheme COVAX with the announcement that it intended to donate up to 80 million doses, including an initial 25 million shots, this month. “That’s an important start (but) we need many other countries to be joining and important for the US, right, crucially, is they said these doses are going to come in June.”

It was “absolutely ridiculous” that some countries were still unable to protect their key workers amid “escalating epidemics” even though vaccines had been available for six months, he said.

Highlighting the progress made against the coronavirus compared with a year ago, the veteran emergency health expert insisted that the development and increasing number of COVID-19 vaccines should not distract from the continued need by all countries to test, trace and treat their populations.

People will continue to die unless a $16 billion funding gap is filled to pay for sufficient personal protective equipment, ventilators, oxygen and steroid medication to help the poorest nations treat their sick, Dr Aylward insisted.

“We still do not understand well enough this pandemic because we are not enough testing enough. Remember Tedros talked about ‘test, test, test’ literally months and months and months ago; we need to be test, test, testing, we’ve made highly accurate, highly affordable rapid diagnostic tests, but with the fixation on vaccines, we’re not getting the money (needed) over there. And we’ve all seen what happens when this disease hits a country that doesn’t have the oxygen and dexamethasone.”

Globally, on 4 June 2021, there have been 171,708,011 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 3,697,151 deaths, reported to WHO.

ends

STORY: COVID-19 update - WHO

TRT: 02 min 55s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 4 JUNE 2021 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a sunny day.
  2. Medium-wide shot, showing large-screen TV with speakers and podium with one speaker in Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “This week, we see over two billion doses, we’ll probably pass the two billion doses if we have not already passed it landmark, in terms of number of doses of these vaccines, these new COVID vaccines that have actually been developed. And these have been distributed now in over 212 countries.”
  4. Medium shot, reverse angle, showing podium speaker in Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “If we look at that two billion doses, over 75 per cent of it have gone to just 10 countries, and in fact three countries are China, the US and India, account for about 60 per cent of those doses. If you look at the other end of that spectrum of the lower income countries, only about (nought) point five per cent of doses globally have gone to the lower income, lowest income countries, that account for about 10 per cent of world population.”
  6. Close-up: head of attendee with reading glasses in foreground, another attendee to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “So we’re increasingly seeing a two-track recovery and rollout of the vaccines with that high coverage deep into the high-risk populations and younger populations even in higher income and producing countries; while in the lower income countries, they’re still struggling to get sufficient product just to be able to vaccinate the health care workers, older populations, who are really the key to getting out of you know, the health, societal and economic crisis that we’re in the midst of.”
  8. Medium-close-up, showing attendee checking phone, seated, Room XIV, Palais des Nations
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “The call is for a quarter of a billion doses out through the period through end of September to be donated, at least 100 million of those in June and July - that’s what we need to get the system going. Now we had a great start yesterday with the US announcing that it’s going to be giving up to 80 million doses and it gave the first 25 million doses that it would be donating, 75 per cent of that through COVAX yesterday, that’s an important start. We need many other countries to be joining and important for the US, right, crucially, is they said these doses are going to come in June.”
  10. Close-up, fingers typing on computer laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) — Dr Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to the Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO) & Head of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) Hub (via Zoom): “We still do not understand well enough this pandemic because we are not enough testing enough. Remember Tedros talked about ‘test, test, test’ literally months and months and months ago; we need to be test, test, testing, we’ve made highly accurate, highly affordable rapid diagnostic tests, but with the fixation on vaccines, we’re not getting the money (needed) over there. And we’ve all seen what happens when this disease hits a country that doesn’t have the oxygen and dexamethasone.”
  12. Wide shot showing a handful of attendees in line with COVID-19 safety measures, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  13. Medium-close-up, back of attendee’s head (blurred), with large TV screen to rear and in focus, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  14. Medium shot, attendee, masked and seated, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office has published a report on the grave human rights abuses suffered by the hundreds of thousands of people trafficked into scam operations mostly in southeast Asia. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report ENG FRA

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Marta Hurtado briefed journalists on a UN report detailing child trafficking by gangs and how it is putting Haiti’s future at risk. 

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO ENG FRA

Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians

Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.