UNICEF warns of a “very, very serious protection crisis in Mozambique” where growing attacks by jihadists are adding to an already desperate situation
The situation of families and individuals who have abandoned their belongings and livelihoods in northern Mozambique after the heinous attacks end of March in the town of Palma in Cabo Delgado province remains desperate.
“We are facing both a large and likely long-lasting humanitarian situation”, said Manuel Fontaine, UNICEF’s Director of Emergencies speaking remotely from Mozambique to journalists at the United Nations. “One third of the population is displaced right now, really striking to see in some towns, population has doubled, in some cases tripled. And so, you imagine, how heavy it is for populations and towns and villages that are already poor.”
Mozambique's north has been ravaged by an escalating Islamist insurgency since 2017, including the heinous attacks in Palma last month that killed dozens and displaced tens of thousands.
“These are constant stories: stories of people being kidnapped, stories of gender-based violence, horrific stories of all of these people working for days and days, kids arriving with their feet swollen and injured and having to be taken care of”, Manuel Fontaine said. “So, it is a very, very serious protection crisis.”
UNICEF has so far identified 220,000 children but assumes that the number is much higher. The Child Agency’s 2021 funding appeal for all Mozambique is USD 52,8 million dollars out of which USD 30 million are for Capo Delgado. Currently only 37 % funded are funded.
“We need to get a million dollars immediately in order to make sure that we don’t have a stockout of the ready-to-use therapeutic food that save children for example and then the cholera response really needs more money now”, said UNICEF’s spokesperson Marixie Mercado. “The numbers are much down in Cabo Delgado because of a huge effort by the government and UN agencies, including UNICEF and WHO, but there is a very high risk of another outbreak in these conditions, and it is already spreading to neighboring provinces. So that is critical.”
With difficult access to the population, and a severe malnutrition prevalence, the World Food Programme (WFP) said today, it needed USD 82 million to provide life-saving assistance to hundreds of thousands of people facing severe hunger in violence-ravaged northern Mozambique.
“As the security situation continues to deteriorate, more than 950,000 people in the north of Mozambique are now facing severe hunger”, said WFP’s spokesperson Tomson Phiri. “WFP plans to assist approximately 750,000 internally displaced people and vulnerable members of the hosting communities in Cabo Delgado as well as in the neighboring provinces of Nampula, Niassa and Zambezia.”
Phiri said that WFP aims to assist 50,000 people displaced from the town. “WFP is organizing emergency food distribution for families who have fled the violence in Palma and is providing high-energy biscuits, as well as ready-to-eat immediate response rations that are comprised of rice, vegetable oil, canned food such as sardines and beans, biscuits and water enough to last them two weeks.”
-ends-
Exterior wide shot, UN building to rear and UN flag in foreground, a sunny day.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , IOM
Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians
Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP
Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR
In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians
Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS
UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line
The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO
As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR
This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF
Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.