Eastern DRC humanitarian update – OHCHR, UNHCR 18 February 2025
/
2:47
/
MP4
/
326.3 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Eastern DRC humanitarian update – OHCHR, UNHCR 18 February 2025

DR Congo: Children executed in Bukavu, UN Human Rights office says

The UN Human Rights office, OHCHR, confirmed cases of summary execution of children by the Rwanda-backed M23 militia after they captured the provincial capital of Bukavu at the week-end.

At a scheduled press briefing in Geneva on Tuesday, Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR spokesperson said that the sharp deterioration of the situation in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo was “resulting in serious human rights violations and abuses, such as summary executions, including of children, and conflict-related sexual and gender-based violence, attacks on hospitals and humanitarian warehouses, as well as threats against the judiciary”.

Confirming the reported execution of three children since the rebels took control of Bukavu, second major city in eastern Congo, Ms. Shamdasani said that the boys were between 11 and 15 years old and were allegedly using abandoned military uniforms and weapons. They were killed after apparently refusing to surrender their weapons to the M23 group, she said.

The UN human rights office has also documented cases of child and forced recruitment, inhumane treatment, conflict-related sexual and gender-based violence, intimidation and death threats. Ms. Shamdasani voiced concerns for journalists, human rights activists and members of civil society organizations who are seeking protection from reprisals by M23.

“We call on Rwanda and M23 to ensure that human rights and international humanitarian law are respected”, insisted Ms. Shamdasani.

During a special session on DRC on 7 February, the United Nations Human Rights Council launched a commission that will investigate atrocities, including rapes and killings that could amount to “summary executions” committed by both sides of the conflict since the beginning of the year.

Meanwhile, thousands of people fleeing the violence have arrived in Burundi.

According to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), between 10,000 and 15,000 people have crossed into Burundi over the last few days. “The majority of those arriving are Congolese, mainly from the Bukavu area in South Kivu where the situation continues to deteriorate”, explained Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson. A smaller number of Burundian nationals have also returned to their country fleeing the clashes.

There are also reports of thousands arriving through unofficial border points, including along the Rusizi River near Rugombo, where several individuals drowned. Conditions in the communities near the border are extremely dire, with a lack of shelter, water and sanitation facilities.

The fall of Bukavu in the hands of the M23 rebels, a major city of 1.3 million people, follows the seizure of Goma, 101 kilometres to the north last month, where at least 3,000 were reported killed and thousands displaced. The M23 is the most prominent of over 100 armed groups fighting for the control of eastern Congo’s mineral wealth that is needed for global technology.

The situation in the eastern DRC remains extremely challenging, with recent clashes in South Kivu forcing more than 150,000 people to flee”, said Mr. Saltmarsh. “At least 85,000 of these individuals are living in newly created spontaneous sites for internally displaced people, where basic services such as water, shelter and access to health services are in short supply”, he added.

Once registered, refugees are relocated to transit centres, where UNHCR and its partners are providing life-saving supplies including food, clean drinking water and essential health services. “However, overcrowding in transit centres, with some currently hosting up to four times their initial capacity, is becoming a major concern as resources are stretched, heightening tensions among the arrivals”, explained Mr. Saltmarsh.

The new influx joins the 91,000 refugees and asylum-seekers Burundi already hosts, mainly from the DRC, many of whom have been in the country for decades.

The UN Refugee Agency launched an appeal of $226 million for 2025 to respond to the protracted emergency in the DRC. It is currently 10 per cent funded.

Ends

Story: “Eastern DRC humanitarian update – UNHRC, OHCHR” – Tuesday 18 February 2025

Speakers are spokespersons:

  • Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR
  • Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR

TRT: 02’47”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 18 February 2025 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Geneva Press briefing



SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN flag alley.
  2. Wide shot of the podium with speakers at the press conference room.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR spokesperson: “The situation in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo is deteriorating sharply, resulting in serious human rights violations and abuses, such as summary executions, including of children, and conflict-related sexual and gender-based violence. There have also been attacks on hospitals and humanitarian warehouses, as well as threats against the judiciary."
  4. Wide shot of the press conference room.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR spokesperson: “Our office has confirmed cases of summary execution of children by M23 after they entered the city of Bukavu last week. We are also aware that children were in possession of weapons. We call on Rwanda and M23 to ensure that human rights and international humanitarian law are respected."
  6. Medium shot of speakers at the podium.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “Between 10,000 and 15,000 people have crossed into Burundi over the last few days, fleeing escalating tension and violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The majority of those arriving are Congolese, mainly from the Bukavu area in South Kivu where the situation continues to deteriorate. A smaller number of Burundian nationals have also returned to their country fleeing the clashes.”
  8. Wide shot of the press conference room.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “The situation in the eastern DRC remains extremely challenging, with recent clashes in South Kivu forcing more than 150,000 people to flee. At least 85,000 of these individuals are living in newly-created spontaneous sites for internally displaced people, where basic services such as water, shelter and access to health services are in short supply.”
  10. Medium shot of cameramen filming.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “Once registered, refugees are relocated to transit centres, where UNHCR and its partners are providing life-saving supplies including food, clean drinking water and essential health services. However, overcrowding in transit centres, with some currently hosting up to four times their initial capacity, is becoming a major concern as resources are stretched, heightening tensions among the arrivals.”
  12. Medium shot of journalists in the press conference room.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “The new influx joins the 91,000 refugees and asylum-seekers Burundi currently hosts, mainly from the DRC, many of whom have been in the country for decades.”
  14. Close up shot of journalist nodding.
  15. Medium shot of the audience and screens in the press conference room.


Audio Files 1
Download Eastern DRC humanitarian update – OHCHR, UNHCR 18 February 2025 (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Ebola DRC update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola DRC update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO

From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNFPA

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA ENG FRA

Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone 

Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO ENG FRA

Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN

As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.

Myanmar crisis:  Human Rights Council probe

2

1

2

Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC

Myanmar crisis: Human Rights Council probe ENG FRA

Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence –  Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.

Peacocks return to UN Geneva

1

6

1

1

Edited News | UNOG

Peacocks return to UN Geneva ENG FRA

In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP ENG FRA

Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP     

Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.

In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.

 

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM

1

1

2

Edited News | IOM

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM ENG FRA

From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams

A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.

Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women ENG FRA

In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water       

As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Intensified Israeli attacks in Gaza

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Intensified Israeli attacks in Gaza ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks Intensified Israeli attacks in Gaza.

DRC Ebola Update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

DRC Ebola Update - WHO ENG FRA

DR Congo: Ebola outbreak continues to expand, WHO sees signs of stabilization

In the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), UN health teams and partners are still racing to contain the rapidly expanding Ebola outbreak, despite ongoing insecurity in eastern areas where the virus has taken hold. As of 19 July, the DRC Government has recorded 2,423 confirmed cases, including 967 deaths and 469 patient recoveries.