Eastern DRC humanitarian update – OHCHR, UNHCR 18 February 2025
/
2:47
/
MP4
/
326.3 MB
Download

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Eastern DRC humanitarian update – OHCHR, UNHCR 18 February 2025

DR Congo: Children executed in Bukavu, UN Human Rights office says

The UN Human Rights office, OHCHR, confirmed cases of summary execution of children by the Rwanda-backed M23 militia after they captured the provincial capital of Bukavu at the week-end.

At a scheduled press briefing in Geneva on Tuesday, Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR spokesperson said that the sharp deterioration of the situation in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo was “resulting in serious human rights violations and abuses, such as summary executions, including of children, and conflict-related sexual and gender-based violence, attacks on hospitals and humanitarian warehouses, as well as threats against the judiciary”.

Confirming the reported execution of three children since the rebels took control of Bukavu, second major city in eastern Congo, Ms. Shamdasani said that the boys were between 11 and 15 years old and were allegedly using abandoned military uniforms and weapons. They were killed after apparently refusing to surrender their weapons to the M23 group, she said.

The UN human rights office has also documented cases of child and forced recruitment, inhumane treatment, conflict-related sexual and gender-based violence, intimidation and death threats. Ms. Shamdasani voiced concerns for journalists, human rights activists and members of civil society organizations who are seeking protection from reprisals by M23.

“We call on Rwanda and M23 to ensure that human rights and international humanitarian law are respected”, insisted Ms. Shamdasani.

During a special session on DRC on 7 February, the United Nations Human Rights Council launched a commission that will investigate atrocities, including rapes and killings that could amount to “summary executions” committed by both sides of the conflict since the beginning of the year.

Meanwhile, thousands of people fleeing the violence have arrived in Burundi.

According to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), between 10,000 and 15,000 people have crossed into Burundi over the last few days. “The majority of those arriving are Congolese, mainly from the Bukavu area in South Kivu where the situation continues to deteriorate”, explained Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson. A smaller number of Burundian nationals have also returned to their country fleeing the clashes.

There are also reports of thousands arriving through unofficial border points, including along the Rusizi River near Rugombo, where several individuals drowned. Conditions in the communities near the border are extremely dire, with a lack of shelter, water and sanitation facilities.

The fall of Bukavu in the hands of the M23 rebels, a major city of 1.3 million people, follows the seizure of Goma, 101 kilometres to the north last month, where at least 3,000 were reported killed and thousands displaced. The M23 is the most prominent of over 100 armed groups fighting for the control of eastern Congo’s mineral wealth that is needed for global technology.

The situation in the eastern DRC remains extremely challenging, with recent clashes in South Kivu forcing more than 150,000 people to flee”, said Mr. Saltmarsh. “At least 85,000 of these individuals are living in newly created spontaneous sites for internally displaced people, where basic services such as water, shelter and access to health services are in short supply”, he added.

Once registered, refugees are relocated to transit centres, where UNHCR and its partners are providing life-saving supplies including food, clean drinking water and essential health services. “However, overcrowding in transit centres, with some currently hosting up to four times their initial capacity, is becoming a major concern as resources are stretched, heightening tensions among the arrivals”, explained Mr. Saltmarsh.

The new influx joins the 91,000 refugees and asylum-seekers Burundi already hosts, mainly from the DRC, many of whom have been in the country for decades.

The UN Refugee Agency launched an appeal of $226 million for 2025 to respond to the protracted emergency in the DRC. It is currently 10 per cent funded.

Ends

Story: “Eastern DRC humanitarian update – UNHRC, OHCHR” – Tuesday 18 February 2025

Speakers are spokespersons:

  • Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR
  • Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR

TRT: 02’47”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 18 February 2025 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Geneva Press briefing



SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN flag alley.
  2. Wide shot of the podium with speakers at the press conference room.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR spokesperson: “The situation in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo is deteriorating sharply, resulting in serious human rights violations and abuses, such as summary executions, including of children, and conflict-related sexual and gender-based violence. There have also been attacks on hospitals and humanitarian warehouses, as well as threats against the judiciary."
  4. Wide shot of the press conference room.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR spokesperson: “Our office has confirmed cases of summary execution of children by M23 after they entered the city of Bukavu last week. We are also aware that children were in possession of weapons. We call on Rwanda and M23 to ensure that human rights and international humanitarian law are respected."
  6. Medium shot of speakers at the podium.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “Between 10,000 and 15,000 people have crossed into Burundi over the last few days, fleeing escalating tension and violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The majority of those arriving are Congolese, mainly from the Bukavu area in South Kivu where the situation continues to deteriorate. A smaller number of Burundian nationals have also returned to their country fleeing the clashes.”
  8. Wide shot of the press conference room.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “The situation in the eastern DRC remains extremely challenging, with recent clashes in South Kivu forcing more than 150,000 people to flee. At least 85,000 of these individuals are living in newly-created spontaneous sites for internally displaced people, where basic services such as water, shelter and access to health services are in short supply.”
  10. Medium shot of cameramen filming.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “Once registered, refugees are relocated to transit centres, where UNHCR and its partners are providing life-saving supplies including food, clean drinking water and essential health services. However, overcrowding in transit centres, with some currently hosting up to four times their initial capacity, is becoming a major concern as resources are stretched, heightening tensions among the arrivals.”
  12. Medium shot of journalists in the press conference room.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR spokesperson: “The new influx joins the 91,000 refugees and asylum-seekers Burundi currently hosts, mainly from the DRC, many of whom have been in the country for decades.”
  14. Close up shot of journalist nodding.
  15. Medium shot of the audience and screens in the press conference room.


Audio Files 1
Download Eastern DRC humanitarian update – OHCHR, UNHCR 18 February 2025 (Edited Story)
Download

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025 ENG FRA

World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response 

Gaza update -  UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

Gaza update - UN Women ENG FRA

Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women

Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon ENG FRA

Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory ENG FRA

A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility. 

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025 ENG FRA

Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.

Gaza update  UNICEF - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA

Gaza update UNICEF - OCHA ENG FRA

Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard

Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO ENG FRA

Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?

That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank. 

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan ENG FRA

At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.