DR Congo emergency update OHCHR, UNHCR 24 January 2025
/
2:58
/
MP4
/
347.4 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OHCHR , UNHCR

DR Congo emergency update OHCHR, UNHCR 24 January 2025

DR Congo emergency: More civilians uprooted by hostilities amid fears that regional capital Goma could come under attack

Intensifying hostilities in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo involving the non-state armed group M23 have caused further mass displacement in the mineral-rich region, with fears that the regional capital Goma could come under attack, UN agencies warned on Friday.

“We are deeply alarmed at the heightened risk of an attack by the M23 armed group on Goma, the capital of North Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo…Any such attack on Goma risks catastrophic impacts on hundreds of thousands of civilians, putting them at heightened exposure to human rights violations and abuses,” said Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the UN human rights office, OHCHR.

“The High Commissioner has flagged many times that sexual violence is a key component - a very horrific component - of this conflict,” Ms. Shamdasani added. “Armed groups abduct, hold captive and subject women and girls to sexual slavery and many of them have been killed after being raped.”

Since the UN peacekeeping Mission, MONUSCO, withdrew from South Kivu in June 2024, peacekeepers have defended key positions in North Kivu, including Goma and Sake, where clashes between the M23, the Congolese Armed Forces and other armed groups have continued.

Hundreds of thousands displaced

Some 400,000 people have been displaced in North and South Kivu since the beginning of this year alone, according to the UN refugee agency, UNHCR.

Highlighting the humanitarian crisis that continues to unfold largely unseen by the outside world, UNHCR spokesperson Matt Saltmarsh reported that “bombs have fallen” on camps for people uprooted by the violence in South and North Kivu.

These attacks include one on 20 January, when explosions at Kitalaga site in South Kivu killed two children. On 21 January, five makeshift shelters were destroyed in Nzuolo, near Goma, while on Wednesday, Bushagara site - also near Goma - was “heavily impacted, causing panic and new waves of forced displacement”, Mr. Saltmarsh told journalists in Geneva.

He noted that heavy bombardments from clashes involving the M23 rebels forced families to flee various displacement sites on the periphery of Goma and try to seek safety within the city…UNHCR staff remain on the ground in Goma, assisting the displaced civilians wherever they can and wherever they get access,” he said. “But as you can understand, the access at the moment is extremely challenging.”

The development came as the UN Secretary-General on Thursday expressed alarm over a renewed offensive by M23 rebels in eastern DRC and the “devastating toll” on civilians.

In a statement issued by his Spokesperson, António Guterres noted the Rwandan-backed rebels’ seizure of Sake, in South Kivu, “which increases the threat” to the regional capital Goma – all of which is “heightening the threat of a regional war”. Rwanda denies any direct involvement with M23 fighters.

“The Secretary-General calls on the M23 to immediately cease its offensive, withdraw from all occupied areas and abide by the 31 July 2024 ceasefire agreement,” the UN chief’s statement continued.

Echoing the Secretary-General’s concerns, OHCHR spokesperson Ms. Shamdasani reiterated UN chief Volker Türk’s appeal “to all States with influence on the parties to impress on them the urgent need for an immediate cessation of hostilities”. M23 is well funded and “as the High Commissioner has said previously, any role played by Rwanda in supporting the M23 in North Kivu – and by any other country supporting armed groups active in the DRC – must end,” she insisted. “The people in the DRC are exhausted by violence, exhausted by conflict, exhausted by the horrors of their daily life. And this must not be allowed to worsen further.”

Stark options for the uprooted

Asked to explain the dangers faced by those sheltering in camps, UNHCR’s Mr. Saltmarsh replied that their “options are stark and extremely limited...What you will receive in terms of aid is extremely limited - that depends very much on whether agencies like UNHCR and our partners in the UN and NGOs are able to access those sites. If they are, we can bring in a minimum of assistance, otherwise, civilians will be in areas that are now occupied by the armed groups. We don't have access to those areas, so it's very difficult to for us to say what conditions are like there.”

South and North Kivu Provinces already host 4.6 million internally displaced people. UNHCR has warned that human rights violations, including looting, injuries, murders, kidnappings and arbitrary arrests of displaced people mistaken for rebels have escalated.

“Hospitals are nearing capacity with injured civilians,” Mr. Saltmarsh said. “Vulnerable women, children, and the elderly are living in overcrowded and precarious conditions with limited access to food, water, and essential services.”

ends

STORY: Eastern DR Congo: Escalating violence – OHCHR, UNHCR

TRT: 02 min 58s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 24 JANUARY 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Spokespersons:

  • Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR
  • Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR

    SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying.
  2. Wide shot, podium with speakers to rear in Press room, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR: “We are deeply alarmed at the heightened risk of an attack by the M23 armed group on Goma, the capital of North Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.”
  4. Medium-wide shot, podium speakers, journalists, TV screens showing speakers.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR: “Some 400,000 people have been displaced in North and South Kivu since the beginning of this year alone. Any such attack on Goma risks catastrophic impacts on hundreds of thousands of civilians, putting them at heightened exposure to human rights violations and abuses.”
  6. Wide, Press room, TV screens and control booths.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR: “The bombardments from these clashes caused families to flee various displacement sites on the periphery of Goma and try to seek safety, within the city and our staff, UNHCR staff, remain on the ground, in Goma, assisting the displaced civilians wherever they can and wherever they get access. But as you can understand, the access at the moment is extremely challenging.”
  8. Medium, journalist writing, looking to podium, folding arms.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR: “The High Commissioner appeals to all States with influence on the parties to impress on them the urgent need for an immediate cessation of hostilities. As the High Commissioner has said previously, any role played by Rwanda in supporting the M23 in North Kivu – and by any other country supporting armed groups active in the DRC – must end.”
  10. Medium, podium speakers.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) — Matthew Saltmarsh, UNHCR: “The options are, stark, and they're extremely limited. You can go to a displacement setting, a displacement camp; when you go there, what you will receive in terms of aid is extremely limited - that depends very much on whether agencies like UNHCR and our partners in the UN and NGOs are able to access those sites. If they are, we can bring in a minimum of assistance, otherwise, civilians will be in areas that are now occupied by the armed groups. We don't have access to those areas, so it's very difficult to for us to say what conditions are like there.”
  12. Medium-wide, podium speakers.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) — Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR: “The High Commissioner has flagged many times that sexual violence is a key component - a very horrific component - of this conflict. Armed groups abduct, hold captive and subject women and girls to sexual slavery and many of them have been killed after being raped.”
  14. Wide, Press room, journalists, control booths.
  15. SOUNDBITE (English) — Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR: “This is a well funded, quite a sophisticated armed group - the M23 - and the High Commissioner has, you know, during his visit to the DRC, I believe in April last year, he had already called on Rwanda and all other States to cease their support of this armed group and to instead work together to bring this conflict to an end.”
  16. Medium, podium speakers.
  17. Medium, journalists.


Audio Files 1
Download DR Congo emergency update OHCHR, UNHCR 24 January 2025 (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.