Lebanon crisis - WFP, OHCHR
/
3:13
/
MP4
/
236.6 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WFP , OHCHR

Lebanon crisis - WFP, OHCHR

UN humanitarians in Lebanon on Tuesday described the massive challenge of trying to reach some 1.2 million people who have fled heavy Israeli bombardment and evacuation orders, driven by the fear that what happened in Gaza may befall them, too.

“It's impossible to meet the needs of more than a million people who have been suddenly uprooted, displaced and dispossessed without additional resources coming in,” said Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “This was not a country that was well prepared because of all of the challenges that it's faced over the past years. So, it's going to be a struggle.”

One week since the UN launched a $426 million appeal to help those affected by the Lebanon crisis, contributions have reached just over 12 per cent, or $51.4 million.

Aid teams are committed to helping all those in need and particularly the most vulnerable, but Mr. Hollingworth warned that many of those uprooted by the rapid escalation in fighting had little choice but to leave their homes with nothing.

After COVID-19 and the devastating port explosion in Beirut in 2020, poverty levels have soared in the country that has struggled to host more than a million Syrian refugees, amid a long-running political crisis.

Uprooted in a moment

“[We’ve had] horrific cases of forced evacuation notices coming out with few hours for people to prepare and depart,” Mr. Hollingworth said.

Families displaced over the past year “who had prepared themselves…are far, far better off than the much greater majority today who have left in some cases with only hours to spare before their areas have come under bombardment.”

Amid intense Israeli bombardment of Beirut and southern Lebanon linked to the war in Gaza, the seven districts in frontline areas south of the country bordering Israel and Beirut’s southern suburbs have emptied of “hundreds of thousands of people”, the veteran aid worker reported. “Many of these towns, villages and suburbs [are] now nothing more than rubble.”

Paying the ultimate price

In a fresh appeal to halt the violence in Gaza, Lebanon and beyond, Jeremy Laurence from the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said that civilians continue to pay “the ultimate price, whether it be the hospitals being closed, a million people displaced, civilians killed, schools impacted; the devastation is beyond belief for all people in Lebanon as it is in Gaza. We can't let this happen again.”

Shelters ‘choc-a-block’

More than 200,000 people now live in the 973 formal shelters located inside Beirut and the north of country, according to WFP. Some 773 of these “are absolutely choc-a-block full”, Mr. Hollingworth said, adding that people in the south had decided to move not only because their land and homes had been destroyed, but because they had lost “family and friends and communities and they are extraordinarily fearful of what comes next”.

The aid agency update comes amid reported renewed rocket fire at the northern Israeli city of Haifa by Hezbollah on Tuesday. The armed group has been firing rockets at northern Israel since the outbreak of the war in Gaza, displacing tens of thousands of Israelis.

Healthcare under attack

According to the UN World Health Organization (WHO), 17 attacks on health care and healthcare workers since 16 September have left 65 dead and 42 injured.

More than 96 healthcare centres and health facilities have been forced to close in the south. Five hospitals are now not functioning “either due to physical or infrastructural damage”, said WHO’s Ian Clarke, Deputy Incident Manager for Lebanon.

Speaking via video from Beirut, he said that an additional four hospitals have been partially evacuated to maintain emergency services, with patients needing critical dialysis and cancer care referred to other hospitals.

UN humanitarians have insisted on the need to keep land, air and sea access open to Lebanon, which is dependent on imports for most of its needs.

A reported 1,900 hectares of agricultural land have been burned in the south of the country over the past year and “primarily in the last few weeks”, WFP’s Mr. Hollingworth said. In addition, 12,000 hectares of farmland in one of the most productive areas of the country have been abandoned and some 46,000 farmers have been impacted heavily by the crisis. “Olive harvests in the south will not happen, bananas, citrus harvests will not happen,” he noted.

Story: Lebanon crisis update – WFP, OHCHR

Speakers:

  • Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut);
  • Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson, OHCHR.

TRT: 03’13”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 8 October 2024 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
RESTRICTIONS: None



SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN flag alley.
  2. Wide shot of the UN Geneva Press room.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “We have upwards of 1.2 million people affected now by this crisis; hundreds of thousands of people displaced from the seven districts in the frontline areas of the south of this country bordering Israel and of course the southern suburbs of Beirut – emptied - many of these towns, villages and suburbs now nothing more than rubble.”
  4. Medium wide shot of Press room, podium and participants.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “There’s now 973 formal shelters inside Beirut and the north of country with more than 200,000 living there registered; 773 of those shelters are absolutely choc-a-block full.”
  6. Medium-wide, Press room, journalists.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “Many of the families that I’ve have met and I was in the south earlier last week talk about the fact that they are moving just because of fear of destruction of land and their homes and their neighbourhoods, but also because they have lost people, they’ve lots family and friends and communities and they are extraordinarily fearful of what comes next.”
  8. Medium-wide, Press room, TV screens showing external speakers.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “It's impossible to meet the needs of more than a million people who have been suddenly uprooted, displaced and dispossessed without additional resources coming in. And this was not a country that was well prepared because of all of the challenges that it's faced over the past years. So, it's going to be a struggle.”
  10. Medium-wide, TV screens showing WFP speaker, journalist and control room.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “Horrific cases of forced evacuation notices coming out with few hours for people to prepare and depart. So, many of families that were displaced over the past year who had prepared themselves and their family belongings are far, far better off than the much greater majority today who have left in some cases with only hours to spare before their areas have come under bombardment.”
  12. Medium-wide, Press room.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) Jeremy Laurence, OHCHR: “We’re seeing civilians pay the ultimate price, whether it be the hospitals being closed, a million people displaced, civilians killed, schools impacted, the devastation is beyond belief for all people in in Lebanon as it is in Gaza. We can't let this happen again.”
  14. Medium, Press room, journalists, podium.
  15. Medium, journalist typing on laptop.
  16. Medium, journalists.


Audio Files 1
Download Lebanon crisis - WFP, OHCHR (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office has published a report on the grave human rights abuses suffered by the hundreds of thousands of people trafficked into scam operations mostly in southeast Asia. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report ENG FRA

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Marta Hurtado briefed journalists on a UN report detailing child trafficking by gangs and how it is putting Haiti’s future at risk. 

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO ENG FRA

Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians

Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.