Gaza crisis update UNRWA – WHO 22 July 2025
/
2:48
/
MP4
/
328.2 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza crisis update UNRWA – WHO 22 July 2025

Gaza: SOS messages describe people fainting from hunger; UN health worker detained

Worrying alerts from United Nations staff in Gaza who have been fainting from hunger and exhaustion over the past 48 hours have increased fears for people’s survival in the devastated enclave, UN humanitarians said on Tuesday.

“Doctors, nurses, journalists, humanitarians, among them UNRWA staff, are hungry,” said Juliette Touma, Director of Communications of the UN agency for Palestine refugees (UNRWA).

Speaking from Amman, she stressed that many are now “fainting due to hunger and exhaustion while performing their duties, reporting atrocities or alleviating some of the suffering”.

“Meanwhile, seeking food has become as deadly as the bombardments,” she warned.

The UN human rights office (OHCHR) said on Tuesday that 1,054 people had been killed in Gaza in the past few weeks trying to fetch food, with most deaths - 766 - linked to private aid hubs run by the US and Israeli-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF). The Foundation’s hubs started operating in southern Gaza on 27 May, bypassing the UN and other established NGOs.

“The so-called GHF distribution scheme is a sadistic death trap,” UNRWA’s Ms. Touma said. “Snipers open fire randomly on crowds, as if they're given a licence to kill.”

Quoting a statement by UNRWA head Philippe Lazzarini, Ms. Touma called the scheme a “massive hunt of people in total impunity”.

“This cannot be our new norm. Humanitarian assistance is not the job of mercenaries,” she added.

The UNRWA spokesperson insisted that the UN and its humanitarian partners have the expertise, the experience and available resources to provide safe, dignified and at-scale assistance.

“We have proven it time and again during the last ceasefire,” she said.

Living conditions in the Strip have reached a new low as prices for basic commodities have increased by around 4,000 per cent. Gaza’s inhabitants who have lost their homes and been displaced multiple times have no income and find themselves completely deprived of essentials.

Ms. Touma highlighted the testimony of a colleague on the ground who had to walk for hours to buy a bag of lentils and some flour, paying almost $200 for it.

On Monday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that a quarter of Gaza’s population faces famine-like conditions. Almost 100,000 women and children are suffering from severe acute malnutrition and need treatment as soon as possible.

Vital everyday items such as diapers are scarce and costly, at about $3 each. Mothers have resorted to using plastic bags instead, while one father “said that he had to cut one of his last shirts to give his daughter sanitary pads”, Ms. Touma said.

“We at UNRWA have stocks of hygiene supplies, including diapers for babies and for adults waiting outside the gates of Gaza,” Ms. Touma stressed, insisting that the agency has 6,000 trucks loaded with food, medicines and hygiene supplies waiting in Egypt and in Jordan to be allowed into the enclave.

She reiterated the UN’s calls for “a deal that would bring a cease-fire, that would release the hostages, that would bring in a standard flow of humanitarian supplies into Gaza under the management of the United Nations, including UNRWA”.

Humanitarian operations in the enclave are being pushed into an “ever-shrinking space”, said World Health Organization (WHO) spokesperson Tarik Jašarević.

Briefing journalists in Geneva, he condemned three attacks on Monday on a building housing WHO staff in Deir Al-Balah in central Gaza, as well as the “mistreatment of those sheltering there and the destruction of its main warehouse”.

“Staff and their families, including children, were exposed to grave danger and traumatized after airstrikes caused a fire and significant damage,” Mr. Jašarević said, adding that Israeli military entered the premises, “forcing women and children to evacuate on foot” towards the coastal shelter of Al Mawasi amid active conflict.

The WHO spokesperson said that staff and family members were “handcuffed, stripped, interrogated on the spot and screened at gunpoint”. Two staff and two family members were detained and while three were later released, one WHO staff member remains in detention for reasons unknown to the organization.

Mr. Jašarević called for the release of the detained staff member and insisted that “no one should be held without charges and without due process”.

The latest evacuation order for the area has impacted several WHO premises and compromised its presence on the ground, “crippling efforts to sustain a collapsing health system”, Mr. Jašarević added, and “pushing survival further out of reach for more than two million people”.

The Israeli military operation in Deir Al-Balah on Monday also caused an explosion and fire inside WHO’s main warehouse, which is located within the evacuation zone in the central Gazan city – “part of a pattern of systematic destruction of health facilities”, the agency’s spokesperson said.

According to Gaza’s health authorities, since the start of the war in October 2023 some 1,500 health workers have been killed in the Strip. Some 94 per cent of all health facilities have been damaged and half of Gaza’s hospitals are “not functional at all”, Mr. Jašarević said.

“The chance to prevent loss of lives and reverse immense damage to the health system slips further out of reach every day,” he stressed.

Spotlighting further challenges to the humanitarian operation in Gaza, the WHO spokesperson pointed to an increase in the denial of visas by the Israeli authorities for emergency medical teams seeking to enter the Strip since the breakdown of the latest ceasefire between Israel and Hamas on 18 March. He said that 58 international staff for the emergency medical teams, including surgeons and critical medical specialists, have been denied access.

UNRWA’s Ms. Touma highlighted the fact that ever since the agency’s Commissioner-General was denied entry to Gaza in March 2024, he has not been allowed back into the Strip. He has also not received a visa from Israel to enter the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, for more than a year.

The UNRWA spokesperson also deplored the lack of access for international media to the enclave.

“It certainly is time, if not long overdue, for international media to go into Gaza precisely to look into the facts and to help with reporting first-hand information on the horrors that people in Gaza are living through,” she said.

-Ends-

STORY Gaza crisis update UNRWA - WHO 22 July 2025

TRT: 2:48”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 22 JULY 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, UN flag.

2. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA): “Doctors, nurses, journalists, humanitarians, among them UNRWA staff, are hungry. Many are now fainting due to hunger and exhaustion while performing their duties, reporting atrocities or alleviating some of the suffering. Meanwhile, seeking food has become as deadly as the bombardments.”

4. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA): “The so-called GHF distribution scheme is a sadistic death trap. Snipers open fire randomly on crowds, as if they're given a license to kill. It's a massive hunt of people in total impunity. Commissioner-General adds, this cannot be our new norm. Humanitarian assistance is not the job of mercenaries.”

6. Medium shot: Press conference attendee in the Press room.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA): “Mothers are using plastic bags instead of diapers. We remind that we have, we at UNRWA, we have stocks of hygiene supplies, including diapers for babies and for adults waiting outside the gates of Gaza, just to get into Gaza and help babies and older people.”

8. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Tarik Jašarević, spokesperson, World Health Organization (WHO): “Following intensified hostilities in Deir Al-Balah after the latest evacuation order issued by Israeli military, the WHO staff residence was attacked three times yesterday. Staff and their families, including children, were exposed to grave danger and traumatized after airstrikes caused a fire and significant damage. Israeli military entered the premises, forcing women and children to evacuate on foot toward Al-Mawasi amid active conflict.”

10. Medium shot: Press conference attendee in the Press room.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Tarik Jašarević, spokesperson, World Health Organization (WHO): “Male staff and family members were handcuffed, stripped, interrogated on the spot and screened at gunpoint. Two WHO staff and two family members were detained. Three were later released, while one staff member remains in detention.”

12. Wide shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screen.

13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA): “It certainly is time, if not long overdue, for international media to go into Gaza precisely to look into the facts and to help with reporting first-hand information on the horrors that people in Gaza are living through.”

14. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.


Audio Files 1
Download Gaza crisis update UNRWA – WHO 22 July 2025 (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Ebola DRC update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola DRC update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO

From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNFPA

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA ENG FRA

Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone 

Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO ENG FRA

Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN

As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.

Myanmar crisis:  Human Rights Council probe

2

1

2

Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC

Myanmar crisis: Human Rights Council probe ENG FRA

Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence –  Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.

Peacocks return to UN Geneva

1

6

1

1

Edited News | UNOG

Peacocks return to UN Geneva ENG FRA

In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP ENG FRA

Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP     

Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.

In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.

 

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM

1

1

2

Edited News | IOM

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM ENG FRA

From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams

A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.

Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women ENG FRA

In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water       

As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Intensified Israeli attacks in Gaza

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Intensified Israeli attacks in Gaza ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks Intensified Israeli attacks in Gaza.

DRC Ebola Update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

DRC Ebola Update - WHO ENG FRA

DR Congo: Ebola outbreak continues to expand, WHO sees signs of stabilization

In the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), UN health teams and partners are still racing to contain the rapidly expanding Ebola outbreak, despite ongoing insecurity in eastern areas where the virus has taken hold. As of 19 July, the DRC Government has recorded 2,423 confirmed cases, including 967 deaths and 469 patient recoveries.