Edited News , Press Conferences | OHCHR , UNOG
Shot on Friday 30 June 2023
“Myanmar’s overall humanitarian and human rights situation has deteriorated to alarming levels, exacerbated by the military’s strategy to prevent life-saving humanitarian aid from reaching those who desperately need it,” Shamdasani said.
“Since 1 February 2021, UN Human Rights has documented how the military continues to prioritize its aims over all other considerations, including the urgent need of conflict-affected communities to receive life-saving assistance. Even when humanitarian workers have been permitted access, their ability to deliver aid has been strictly limited and controlled,” she said.
The military has operated as if those providing aid are helping those opposed to their rule, rather than respecting their need for protection and facilitating their access and assistance to the civilian population in a time of crisis.
The already dire situation on the ground has been compounded by the military’s restrictions on aid imposed in the aftermath of Cyclone Mocha in May, bringing further suffering and misery to wide swathes of the population in the west and northwest of the country.
“As our report makes clear, intentional obstruction or denial of humanitarian assistance may amount to gross violations of international human rights law, and serious violations of international humanitarian law,” she said.
“In the context of armed conflicts, intentional obstruction or denial of humanitarian assistance may further constitute war crimes such as willful killing, torture and other degrading treatment, starvation, and collective punishment. Such intentional denial can also constitute crimes against humanity such as murder, extermination, torture and other inhumane acts, or persecution, when committed in the context of a widespread or systematic attack against a civilian population,” Shamdasani said.
Aiming in part at cutting off support for its opponents, the military has employed its four-cuts strategy to kill and injure thousands of civilians while destroying goods and infrastructure necessary for survival, including food, shelter, and medical centres, the report says.
Myanmar’s human rights and humanitarian crisis is massive. An estimated 1.5 million people have been internally displaced, and approximately 60,000 civilian structures have reportedly been burnt or destroyed. Over 17.6 million people, or one-third of the overall population, require some form of humanitarian assistance.
Between February 2021 and April 2023, credible sources verified that at least 3,452 people had died at the hands of the military and its affiliates, and 21,807 individuals had been arrested.
James Rodehaver said: “In part because the military was increasingly using indiscriminate weaponry and indiscriminate attacks on the civilian population as a means to increase their control in the country. They have relied upon a strategy called the four-cut strategy, and that that strategy is basically to say that we are going to cut off access to food, to finances, to intelligence, and to the ability of our opponents to recruit amongst the civilian population.”
“They, of course, have used these tactics that I've spoken about before with military means to really instil fear. The use of heavy weaponry on civilian areas, the use of air strikes, the burning of villages, the use of landmines to prevent people that flee conflict from coming back to their homes,” he added.
“We've also had humanitarian aid providers telling us how they are consistently exposed to risks of arrest, harassment and mistreatment, or even death,” he said.
“A number of interviewees tell us what was best encapsulated by one individual, which was to say, the main overall risk is that when you deliver assistance, you are considered as associated to illegal groups and you can get arrested or punished for that,” Rodehaver stated.
“There have been at least 40 local aid providers that have been killed as a result of the clampdown by the military on their all because they were in the process of delivering aid or assistance,” he said.
In Geneva
Ravina Shamdasani - + 41 22 917 9169 / ravina.shamdasani@un.org or
Liz Throssell + 41 22 917 9296 / elizabeth.throssell@un.org
Tag and share
Twitter @UNHumanRights
Facebook unitednationshumanrights
Instagram @unitednationshumanrights
Shot on Friday 30 June 2023
1
1
1
Edited News | UNFPA
Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone
Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | WHO , UNHCR , WFP , UNFPA , UNODA
WHO: update on Attacks on Health Care; UNFPA: Maternal health challenges in Darfur;
WFP/ UNHCR: Critical funding shortfalls threaten life-saving food, nutrition, and other assistance for refugees in South Sudan
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , WHO
Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN
As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | WMO , OCHA , WHO
WMO: Heatwaves, drought, fires and extreme weather; OCHA: Colombia earthquake
2
1
2
Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC
Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence – Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.
1
6
1
1
Edited News | UNOG
In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | WHO
WHO updates on Ebola; WMO on drought in Europe
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP
Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.
In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | ILO , WHO , WFP , IFRC
ILO to release youth employment trends report; WHO discusses Ebola treatments; WFP highlights Afghan nutrition crisis
1
1
2
Edited News | IOM
From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams
A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.
Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | IMO , WHO
WHO: World Hepatitis Day; IOM with Director General Amy Pope: Protecting Victims of Trafficking in Online Scam Operations
1
1
1
Edited News | UN WOMEN
In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water
As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.