UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 WFP - OCHA
/
5:06
/
MP4
/
377.3 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , WFP

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 WFP - OCHA

UN aid teams work round the clock to ensure humanitarian support to millions

Humanitarian actors are gearing up to find solutions for vulnerable communities hardest-hit by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, including millions of children whose schools have closed, depriving them of essential meals, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

“Because of the COVID pandemic, some 300 million primary schoolchildren are now missing out (of) school meals on which they depend,” WFP spokesperson Elisabeth Byers said to a near-empty conference room in Geneva, in accordance with Swiss measures limiting meetings to no more than five people to combat the epidemic.

Some 18 million youngsters receive school meals provided by the UN food agency, Ms Byrs said, but around half of them no longer do so because of the coronavirus which emerged in December in central China before spreading globally.

“Nearly 30 countries where WFP implements school feeding programmes have so far reported partial or countrywide closure of school. This means that nearly nine million children are no longer receiving WFP school meals, and that number is set to rise in coming days and weeks.”

«Le Programme Alimentaire Mondial à travers ses programmes de repas scolaire, couvre normalement 18 millions d’enfants. Actuellement, près de neuf millions sont touchés par des mesures de fermeture des écoles dans certains pays. Le PAM s’inquiète en fait du bien-être de tous les enfants, non seulement, pas seulement ceux auxquels le PAM apporte une assistance, mais tous les enfants actuellement dans le monde. »

Highlighting the UN agency’s concern, Ms Byrs said in French that for many children, school was the only place where they received a square meal. To ensure that they continue to receive assistance, the WFP envisages delivering rations for the whole family.

« Nous sommes en effet très, très concernés par cette situation. Beaucoup d’enfants dans le monde ne peuvent manger finalement à leur faim et avoir une nourriture équilibrée que s’ils vont en classe. Donc il faut maintenant se substituer à l’école et aux distributions à l’école et prévoir des rations à emporter par chaque famille et non seulement les enfants pourront en bénéficier, mais la famille qui est pauvre dans lesquelles ses enfants vivent, pourront également bénéficier de ces rations. »

The development comes as other UN agencies and Offices race to assess needs for around 100 million people who rely on emergency assistance.

“As the coronavirus spreads around the world, our key concern is for the 100 million people living in war zones and other emergency settings who depend on the UN’s humanitarian assistance. Many live in cramped conditions and with limited or no access to proper sanitation or basic health services,” said Jens Laerke from the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Highlighting the dire conditions for many people displaced by conflict, food insecurity and climate change, the OCHA spokesperson expressed concern that the virus risked overwhelming the capacity to get aid to where it is needed.

“Disrupted supply chains could mean that nutrition products to fight malnutrition produced in one country may not get to the country where it is needed. School meal programmes may be suspended. Water and sanitation may be in short supply or simply unavailable,” he explained.

In terms of the practical distribution of humanitarian aid, that may have to change too, the veteran aid official said.

“Relief distribution points where many people gather for food or other assistance will likely be banned and alternative solutions must be found,” he said. “Overcrowding of camps for internally displaced persons in some of the world's humanitarian hotspots are also high-risk areas for this pandemic.”

In a bid to ensure unbroken aid deliveries globally, Mr Laerke insisted that OCHA, along with humanitarian partners and the wider UN system, “are right now working around the clock to asses where and how flows of aid may be disrupted, either have been already or are at risk of being in the future, and seeking to find solutions so that all operations can continue.”

Responding to a question about the impact on the aid convoys crossing from Turkey into north-west Syria, where around a million people have fled a Government offensive since December, Mr Laerke confirmed that its work had not stopped.

“The cross-border operation from Turkey and into Syria was at least of last night continuing, so the trucks are continuing to go in. Of course, all preventive measures are being put in place to ensure there is no accidental transmission going on when they cross the border.”

On the issue of how sanctions placed on countries might affect the delivery of life-saving supplies, the OCHA spokesperson noted that those passed by the Security Council sanctions generally had “provisions (to) allow for humanitarian items and aid to pass through. So, with that in mind, let’s see how much of an impact that has; of course, our general position is that lifesaving humanitarian aid should to the extent possible flow freely to where it is needed most.”

Ahead of the likely launch of a COVID-19 global humanitarian response plan next week, Mr Laerke insisted on the need to show solidarity for ongoing aid work.

“The world needs to continue support for the most vulnerable, including through UN-coordinated humanitarian and refugee response plans,” he said. “To stop COVID-19 anywhere, it must be stopped everywhere. If we do not break transmissions worldwide, the virus could cycle back to countries who thought they were safe.”

  1. Wide shot: exterior, flag alley, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva, sunny with a few clouds in the sky.
  2. Wide shot: Press Room III, podium speakers to rear of shot, spaced apart. A conference hearing aid is lying on a table in the foreground.
  3. SOUNDBITE (EN) - Spokesperson for the World Food Programme (WFP), Elisabeth Byers: “Because of the COVID pandemic, some 300 million primary schoolchildren are now missing out (of) school meals on which they depend. Nearly 30 countries where WFP implements school feeding programmes have so far reported partial or countrywide closure of school. This means that nearly nine million children are no longer receiving WFP school meals, and that number is set to rise in coming days and weeks.”
  4. Medium wide shot: UNTV camera, partly reflected in interpreters’ booth to rear.
  5. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Spokesperson for the World Food Programme (WFP), Elisabeth Byers: « Nous sommes en effet très, très concernés par cette situation. Beaucoup d’enfants dans le monde ne peuvent manger finalement à leur faim et avoir une nourriture équilibrée que s’ils vont en classe. Donc il faut maintenant se substituer à l’école et aux distributions à l’école et prévoir des rations à emporter par chaque famille et non seulement les enfants pourront en bénéficier, mais la famille qui est pauvre dans lesquelles ces enfants vivent, pourront également bénéficier de ces rations. »
  6. Medium shot: rows of empty chairs.
  7. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Spokesperson for the World Food Programme (WFP), Elisabeth Byers: «Le Programme Alimentaire Mondial à travers ses programmes de repas scolaire, couvre normalement 18 millions d’enfants. Actuellement, près de neuf millions sont touchés par des mesures de fermeture des écoles dans certains pays. Le PAM s’inquiète en fait du bien-être de tous les enfants, non seulement, pas seulement ceux auxquels le PAM apporte une assistance, mais tous les enfants actuellement dans le monde. »
  8. Wide shot: podium speakers to rear of shot, spaced apart in an otherwise empty room.
  9. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “As the coronavirus spreads around the world, our key concern is for the 100 million people living in war zones and other emergency settings who depend on the UN’s humanitarian assistance. Many live in cramped conditions and with limited or no access to proper sanitation or basic health services.”
  10. Close-up: alcohol gel hand washing dispenser, podium to rear.
  11. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Disrupted supply chains could mean that nutrition products to fight malnutrition produced in one country may not get to the country where it is needed. School meal programmes may be suspended. Water and sanitation may be in short supply or simply unavailable.”
  12. Medium shot: row of empty chairs
  13. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Relief distribution points where many people gather for food or other assistance will likely be banned and alternative solutions must be found. Overcrowding of camps for internally displaced persons in some of the world's humanitarian hotspots are also high-risk areas for this pandemic.”
  14. Close-up: conference listening device on table.
  15. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “My Office will, our humanitarian partners, the wider UN system, are right now working around the clock to asses where and how flows of aid may be disrupted, either have been already or are at risk of being in the future, and seeking to find solutions so that all operations can continue.”
  16. Medium shot: row of empty chairs and conference tables, podium speakers to rear.
  17. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The cross-border operation from Turkey and into Syria was at least of last night continuing, so the trucks are continuing to go in. Of course, all preventive measures are being put in place to ensure there is no accidental transmission going on when they cross the border.”
  18. Medium shot: UNTV cameras - one showing a podium speaker on monitor - in front and rear of shot in an otherwise empty room.
  19. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We generally see at least Security Council sanctions have provisions allow for humanitarian items and aid to pass through. So, with that in mind, let’s see how much of an impact that has; of course, our general position is that lifesaving humanitarian aid should to the extent possible flow freely to where it is needed most.”
  20. Close-up: conference table mics and listening device, blurred; podium speakers to rear, UN logo.
  21. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The world needs to continue support for the most vulnerable, including through UN-coordinated humanitarian and refugee response plans. To stop COVID-19 anywhere, it must be stopped everywhere. If we do not break transmissions worldwide, the virus could cycle back to countries who thought they were safe.”
  22. Medium shot: podium speakers, profile.
  23. Medium shot: UNTV camera with monitor showing podium, which is also to rear of shot.
  24. Medium shot: podium speakers, conference table microphones.

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.