UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 WFP - OCHA
/
5:06
/
MP4
/
377.3 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , WFP

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 WFP - OCHA

UN aid teams work round the clock to ensure humanitarian support to millions

Humanitarian actors are gearing up to find solutions for vulnerable communities hardest-hit by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, including millions of children whose schools have closed, depriving them of essential meals, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

“Because of the COVID pandemic, some 300 million primary schoolchildren are now missing out (of) school meals on which they depend,” WFP spokesperson Elisabeth Byers said to a near-empty conference room in Geneva, in accordance with Swiss measures limiting meetings to no more than five people to combat the epidemic.

Some 18 million youngsters receive school meals provided by the UN food agency, Ms Byrs said, but around half of them no longer do so because of the coronavirus which emerged in December in central China before spreading globally.

“Nearly 30 countries where WFP implements school feeding programmes have so far reported partial or countrywide closure of school. This means that nearly nine million children are no longer receiving WFP school meals, and that number is set to rise in coming days and weeks.”

«Le Programme Alimentaire Mondial à travers ses programmes de repas scolaire, couvre normalement 18 millions d’enfants. Actuellement, près de neuf millions sont touchés par des mesures de fermeture des écoles dans certains pays. Le PAM s’inquiète en fait du bien-être de tous les enfants, non seulement, pas seulement ceux auxquels le PAM apporte une assistance, mais tous les enfants actuellement dans le monde. »

Highlighting the UN agency’s concern, Ms Byrs said in French that for many children, school was the only place where they received a square meal. To ensure that they continue to receive assistance, the WFP envisages delivering rations for the whole family.

« Nous sommes en effet très, très concernés par cette situation. Beaucoup d’enfants dans le monde ne peuvent manger finalement à leur faim et avoir une nourriture équilibrée que s’ils vont en classe. Donc il faut maintenant se substituer à l’école et aux distributions à l’école et prévoir des rations à emporter par chaque famille et non seulement les enfants pourront en bénéficier, mais la famille qui est pauvre dans lesquelles ses enfants vivent, pourront également bénéficier de ces rations. »

The development comes as other UN agencies and Offices race to assess needs for around 100 million people who rely on emergency assistance.

“As the coronavirus spreads around the world, our key concern is for the 100 million people living in war zones and other emergency settings who depend on the UN’s humanitarian assistance. Many live in cramped conditions and with limited or no access to proper sanitation or basic health services,” said Jens Laerke from the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Highlighting the dire conditions for many people displaced by conflict, food insecurity and climate change, the OCHA spokesperson expressed concern that the virus risked overwhelming the capacity to get aid to where it is needed.

“Disrupted supply chains could mean that nutrition products to fight malnutrition produced in one country may not get to the country where it is needed. School meal programmes may be suspended. Water and sanitation may be in short supply or simply unavailable,” he explained.

In terms of the practical distribution of humanitarian aid, that may have to change too, the veteran aid official said.

“Relief distribution points where many people gather for food or other assistance will likely be banned and alternative solutions must be found,” he said. “Overcrowding of camps for internally displaced persons in some of the world's humanitarian hotspots are also high-risk areas for this pandemic.”

In a bid to ensure unbroken aid deliveries globally, Mr Laerke insisted that OCHA, along with humanitarian partners and the wider UN system, “are right now working around the clock to asses where and how flows of aid may be disrupted, either have been already or are at risk of being in the future, and seeking to find solutions so that all operations can continue.”

Responding to a question about the impact on the aid convoys crossing from Turkey into north-west Syria, where around a million people have fled a Government offensive since December, Mr Laerke confirmed that its work had not stopped.

“The cross-border operation from Turkey and into Syria was at least of last night continuing, so the trucks are continuing to go in. Of course, all preventive measures are being put in place to ensure there is no accidental transmission going on when they cross the border.”

On the issue of how sanctions placed on countries might affect the delivery of life-saving supplies, the OCHA spokesperson noted that those passed by the Security Council sanctions generally had “provisions (to) allow for humanitarian items and aid to pass through. So, with that in mind, let’s see how much of an impact that has; of course, our general position is that lifesaving humanitarian aid should to the extent possible flow freely to where it is needed most.”

Ahead of the likely launch of a COVID-19 global humanitarian response plan next week, Mr Laerke insisted on the need to show solidarity for ongoing aid work.

“The world needs to continue support for the most vulnerable, including through UN-coordinated humanitarian and refugee response plans,” he said. “To stop COVID-19 anywhere, it must be stopped everywhere. If we do not break transmissions worldwide, the virus could cycle back to countries who thought they were safe.”

  1. Wide shot: exterior, flag alley, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva, sunny with a few clouds in the sky.
  2. Wide shot: Press Room III, podium speakers to rear of shot, spaced apart. A conference hearing aid is lying on a table in the foreground.
  3. SOUNDBITE (EN) - Spokesperson for the World Food Programme (WFP), Elisabeth Byers: “Because of the COVID pandemic, some 300 million primary schoolchildren are now missing out (of) school meals on which they depend. Nearly 30 countries where WFP implements school feeding programmes have so far reported partial or countrywide closure of school. This means that nearly nine million children are no longer receiving WFP school meals, and that number is set to rise in coming days and weeks.”
  4. Medium wide shot: UNTV camera, partly reflected in interpreters’ booth to rear.
  5. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Spokesperson for the World Food Programme (WFP), Elisabeth Byers: « Nous sommes en effet très, très concernés par cette situation. Beaucoup d’enfants dans le monde ne peuvent manger finalement à leur faim et avoir une nourriture équilibrée que s’ils vont en classe. Donc il faut maintenant se substituer à l’école et aux distributions à l’école et prévoir des rations à emporter par chaque famille et non seulement les enfants pourront en bénéficier, mais la famille qui est pauvre dans lesquelles ces enfants vivent, pourront également bénéficier de ces rations. »
  6. Medium shot: rows of empty chairs.
  7. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Spokesperson for the World Food Programme (WFP), Elisabeth Byers: «Le Programme Alimentaire Mondial à travers ses programmes de repas scolaire, couvre normalement 18 millions d’enfants. Actuellement, près de neuf millions sont touchés par des mesures de fermeture des écoles dans certains pays. Le PAM s’inquiète en fait du bien-être de tous les enfants, non seulement, pas seulement ceux auxquels le PAM apporte une assistance, mais tous les enfants actuellement dans le monde. »
  8. Wide shot: podium speakers to rear of shot, spaced apart in an otherwise empty room.
  9. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “As the coronavirus spreads around the world, our key concern is for the 100 million people living in war zones and other emergency settings who depend on the UN’s humanitarian assistance. Many live in cramped conditions and with limited or no access to proper sanitation or basic health services.”
  10. Close-up: alcohol gel hand washing dispenser, podium to rear.
  11. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Disrupted supply chains could mean that nutrition products to fight malnutrition produced in one country may not get to the country where it is needed. School meal programmes may be suspended. Water and sanitation may be in short supply or simply unavailable.”
  12. Medium shot: row of empty chairs
  13. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Relief distribution points where many people gather for food or other assistance will likely be banned and alternative solutions must be found. Overcrowding of camps for internally displaced persons in some of the world's humanitarian hotspots are also high-risk areas for this pandemic.”
  14. Close-up: conference listening device on table.
  15. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “My Office will, our humanitarian partners, the wider UN system, are right now working around the clock to asses where and how flows of aid may be disrupted, either have been already or are at risk of being in the future, and seeking to find solutions so that all operations can continue.”
  16. Medium shot: row of empty chairs and conference tables, podium speakers to rear.
  17. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The cross-border operation from Turkey and into Syria was at least of last night continuing, so the trucks are continuing to go in. Of course, all preventive measures are being put in place to ensure there is no accidental transmission going on when they cross the border.”
  18. Medium shot: UNTV cameras - one showing a podium speaker on monitor - in front and rear of shot in an otherwise empty room.
  19. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We generally see at least Security Council sanctions have provisions allow for humanitarian items and aid to pass through. So, with that in mind, let’s see how much of an impact that has; of course, our general position is that lifesaving humanitarian aid should to the extent possible flow freely to where it is needed most.”
  20. Close-up: conference table mics and listening device, blurred; podium speakers to rear, UN logo.
  21. SOUNDBITE (EN) -Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The world needs to continue support for the most vulnerable, including through UN-coordinated humanitarian and refugee response plans. To stop COVID-19 anywhere, it must be stopped everywhere. If we do not break transmissions worldwide, the virus could cycle back to countries who thought they were safe.”
  22. Medium shot: podium speakers, profile.
  23. Medium shot: UNTV camera with monitor showing podium, which is also to rear of shot.
  24. Medium shot: podium speakers, conference table microphones.

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office has published a report on the grave human rights abuses suffered by the hundreds of thousands of people trafficked into scam operations mostly in southeast Asia. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report ENG FRA

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Marta Hurtado briefed journalists on a UN report detailing child trafficking by gangs and how it is putting Haiti’s future at risk. 

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO ENG FRA

Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians

Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.