Lesotho Emergency Appeal OCHA
/
1:55
/
MP4
/
142.2 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , UNOG

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Lesotho Emergency Appeal OCHA

Devastating drought in Lesotho has left more than half a million people facing severe food shortages and tens of thousands “one step away from famine”, UN humanitarians said on Friday, in an appeal for funds.

“The UN team and humanitarian partners (are) today launching a $34 million flash appeal … to urgently support over 260,000 people with lifesaving interventions up ‘til April next year,” spokesperson Jens Laerke from the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), told journalists in Geneva.

Ten districts in the small landlocked southern African nation are already “severely food insecure”, Mr. Laerke said, with rural smallholders worst-hit and forced to leave their homes to survive.

“Most of the food insecure people are in rural areas and we estimate that at the peak of the lean season, which runs from January to March, some 71,000 people will face emergency conditions in rural districts. That is IPC phase 4 – one step away from famine,” the spokesperson added.

As the drought worsens, migration into cities is expected to increase, OCHA warned in a statement.

“Women and girls have reportedly left their rural homes to urban areas or South Africa in search of work, mostly as domestic workers trading sex for money or food,” it noted.

Citing the latest Integrated Food Security Phase Classification food security assessments, often referred to by the acronym IPC, the OCHA official explained that the 2018/2019 planting season had been badly affected by late rains and scorching temperatures.

And with forecasts indicating that Lesotho will receive below-average rainfall during the current 2019/2020 season – October to March - communities now face three back-to-back failed harvests.

The most vulnerable are in Leribe and Maseru districts.

Today, “a total of half a million people – that’s more than a quarter of the population of Lesotho…are facing severe food insecurity because of severe drought which has gripped the country at the same time as people are approaching the peak of the lean season,” Mr. Laerke explained.

Drought has a massive impact on Lesotho because most of the rural population relies on farming for their income. Women are particularly vulnerable because they own fewer assets than male farmers, OCHA insisted, as many more families will be forced to leave their homes and head for towns, where they face additional risks.

One worry linked to this migrations is that Lesotho has the second highest HIV prevalence rate in the world, at more than one in four people.

“It makes particularly women and children, girls in particular, very vulnerable to sexual exploitation and abuse,” Mr. Laerke insisted.

According to OCHA, food insecurity levels are 64 per cent higher than last year, when the number of food insecure people was around 309,000 (257,283 in rural areas, 51,683 in urban zones).

Highlighting the catastrophic impact of the extreme weather on harvests, Mr. Laerke said that overall cereal production had decreased by more than 60 per cent compared to 2018.

Individual crops have suffered even greater losses, such as maize and sorghum, which respectively saw reductions of 78 and 93 per cent.

“The Government of Lesotho on 30 October declared a national disaster and issued a drought response and resilience plan,” he said. “Our flash appeal will support that plan.”

The Flash Appeals aims to conduct awareness-raising sessions and distribute life-saving information materials about risks of irregular migration, gender-based violence, violence against children, child marriage, trafficking in persons and how to report abuse.

Lesotho’s $83 million Drought Response and Resilience Plan aims to help more than 508,000 people, including 68,250 children.

  1. Exterior shot: Palais des Nations flag alley, flags fluttering, overcast.
  2. Medium shot: Press Room III, journalists and podium speakers.
  3. Medium shot: journalists.
  4. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The UN team and humanitarian partners is today launching a $34 million flash appeal – this one – to urgently support over 260,000 people with lifesaving interventions up ‘til April next year.”
  5. Medium shot: journalists typing on laptops.
  6. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “A total of half a million people – that’s more than a quarter of the population of Lesotho – which as you know is a small, landlocked country in southern Africa - are facing severe food insecurity because of severe drought which has gripped the country at the same time as people are approaching the peak of the lean season.”
  7. Close-up: journalists in profile, seated.
  8. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Overall cereal production decreased by more than 60 per cent compared to 2018. The Government of Lesotho on 30 October declared a national disaster and issued a drought response and resilience plan. Our flash appeal will support that plan.”
  9. Medium shot: TV camera operators, tripods, TV cameras.
  10. SOUNDBITE (English) – “Most of the food insecure people are in rural areas and we estimate that at the peak of the lean season, which runs from January to March, some 71,000 people will face emergency conditions in rural districts. That is IPC phase 4 – one step away from famine.”
  11. Medium shot: backs of journalists, obese ver.
  12. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “One particular concern with those movements is that it makes particularly women and children, girls in particular, very vulnerable to sexual exploitation and abuse.”
  13. Close-up: series of hands typing on laptops, profile.
  14. Medium shot: podium speakers, journalist’s head in front of shot, blurred.
  15. Medium shot: journalists.
  16. Medium shot: journalist holding pen and resting hand on cheek, looks down.

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.