UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Nagorno-Karabakh ICRC
/
2:03
/
MP4
/
151.9 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNITED NATIONS

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Nagorno-Karabakh ICRC

As heavy fighting continues to be reported along the line of contact in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region having caused huge human suffering, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) today urged Armenia and Azerbaijan to finalize arrangements in order to facilitate the handover of bodies of those killed and to handle the release of detainees.

A fragile humanitarian ceasefire, brokered by Russia, went into effect on Saturday but was almost immediately broken, with both Armenian and Azerbaijan accusing each other of fresh attacks.

Speaking at a news conference today at the United Nations in Geneva, Martin Schüepp, ICRC Eurasia Regional Director said that “it is our hope that the humanitarian ceasefire agreement will be abided by and that it will translate into meaningful relief for those affected. As such, the International Committee of the Red Cross remains ready to facilitate the hand-over of bodies of those killed in action or the release of detainees. The sides, however, need to agree on a format between themselves”.

Since the latest violence erupted in late September, artillery strikes have reportedly hit a number of cities, towns and villages. The disputed territory, home to about 150,000 people, is an ethnic Armenian enclave and is internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan by all countries, including Armenia. But the people of Nagorno-Karabakh – an overwhelming majority of whom are ethnic Armenians- want to govern themselves or to join Armenia.

Since the ICRC started working in connection with the Nagorno-Karabagh conflict in 1992, the organization has repeatedly helped authorities with such operations. ”Subsequent to this agreement in Moscow, we have continued to be in contact with the sides proposing our services as a neutral intermediary to facilitate the exchange of bodies or – if agreed by the parties – of course also of prisoners”, said ICRC’s Martin Schüepp.

Currently, the organization has roughly 200 staff throughout the region, half of them on both sides of the line of contact and they are trying to bring in additional staff.

Their focus is on the plight of civilians affected by the fighting, said Martin Schüepp. “We estimate that already hundreds of thousands of people across the region are directly or indirectly affected. Civilians are dying or suffering live changing injuries. Homes, businesses and once busy streets are being reduced to rubble”.

ICRC is currently trying to make an assessment. However, the security situation and the continued fighting has limited the access to all the areas.

”In terms of our humanitarian response, we are working throughout the region to ease the suffering of those caught up in this. We are, for example, distributing emergency cash assistance or hygiene kits to hundreds of families, we are providing emergency medical kits to hospitals and forensic support to authorities, and we are trying to do field assessments wherever we can”, Martin Schüepp said.

Today the World Health Organisation has informed that both countries have seen an increase in Covid-19 cases: Armenia’s numbers have doubled over the past week and the numbers of infected people in Azerbaijan increased by 80 % over last week.

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a cloudy day.
  2. Wide shot, press briefing room
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Martin Schüepp, ICRC Eurasia Regional Director: “We estimate that already hundreds of thousands of people across the region are directly or indirectly affected. Civilians are dying or suffering live changing injuries. Homes, businesses and once busy streets are being reduced to rubble”.
  4. Medium, podium in press room from below
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) - Martin Schüepp, ICRC Eurasia Regional Director: ”Subsequent to this agreement in Moscow, we have continued to be in contact with the sides proposing our services as a neutral intermediary to facilitate the exchange of bodies or – if agreed by the parties – of course also of prisoners”.
  6. Medium shot, journalists in press room
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) - Martin Schüepp, ICRC Eurasia Regional Director:” It is our hope that the humanitarian ceasefire agreement will be abided by and that it will translate into meaningful relief for those affected. As such, the International Committee of the Red Cross remains ready to facilitate the hand over of bodies of those killed in action or the release of detainees. The sides, however, need to agree on a format between themselves”.
  8. Wide shot, press briefing room
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) - Martin Schüepp, ICRC Eurasia Regional Director:” In terms of our humanitarian response, we are working throughout the region to ease the suffering of those caught up in this. We are, for example, distributing emergency cash assistance or hygiene kits to hundreds of families, we are providing emergency medical kits to hospitals and forensic support to authorities, and we are trying to do field assessments wherever we can”.
  10. Medium shot, podium and screen on the side
  11. Medium shot, camerawoman
  12. Medium shot, podium

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.