Gaza humanitarian update - OCHA, UNRWA
/
3:53
/
MP4
/
285.1 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , UNRWA

Gaza humanitarian update - OCHA, UNRWA

Gaza: UN agencies call for aid ‘surge’ as Israeli distribution plan begins

Reports indicated on Tuesday that Israel’s controversial aid distribution plan had begun in Gaza as the United Nations called once again on the Israeli authorities to allow an “immediate surge” in the amount of supplies reaching the enclave to prevent starvation.

After nearly three months of complete blockade by Israel, a “vastly insufficient” amount of aid was finally allowed into the war-ravaged enclave in the last week, insisted Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN aid coordination office, OCHA.

“We have not stopped operating,” he said, referring to staff still inside Gaza, who are tasked with liaising with the Israeli authorities to retrieve supplies allowed into Gaza from Israel, via the Kerem Shalom crossing.

Mr. Laerke insisted that the UN is not participating in the Israeli aid plan: “It is a distraction from what is actually needed, which is a reopening of all the crossings into Gaza, a secure environment within Gaza and faster facilitation of permissions and final approvals of all the emergency supplies that we have just outside the border; [aid] needs to get in.”

The veteran humanitarian stressed the ongoing dangers and obstacles that have prevented aid teams from picking up and dispatching lifesaving supplies.

“We are not always able to collect what is being dropped off on the other side because of the insecure routes that are being assigned to us by the Israeli authorities to use.”

All types of aid must be allowed through and not “cherry-picked”, Mr. Laerke stressed: “The bottom line again is that we are talking about a vastly insufficient amount of aid that eventually enters Gaza at the moment. That’s why we need [the] opening of more crossings, we need all types of aid - not that aid that is cherry-picked by the Israeli side that we are allowed to get in.”

The UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, meanwhile, explained that no supplies whatsoever” prepared by the agency have reached Gaza since the Israeli siege began on 2 March.

This is despite UNRWA having readied more than 3,000 trucks carrying food and medicines in Jordan and Egypt which will perish soon.

“We have clinics, we have pharmacies that the agency runs and there we normally would distribute medicines against chronic diseases…but also basic medicines, things like paracetamol and then childhood diseases and these are the medicines that we're running out of,” said Juliette Touma, UNRWA Director of Communications.

The development comes as UNRWA Commissioner-General Philippe Lazzarini urged the Israeli Government to provide proof to back up repeated damaging allegations of "systemic infiltration by Hamas”.

Investigations carried out internally by the UN last year found sufficient evidence that nine active UNRWA staff out of the many thousands it employs had been involved in the Hamas-led terror attacks in Israel that sparked the war in October 2023.

A separate independent probe commissioned by the UN Secretary-General found that the agency’s rules, mechanisms and procedures were the most “elaborate” within the UN, reflecting the complex and sensitive demands associated with working in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

“It’s been over 20 months of these claims coming our way, harming the agency's reputation of course, but more importantly, putting the lives of our staff, especially those working in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, at risk,” said Ms. Touma.

Despite numerous requests by UNRWA to the Israeli Government for evidence to substantiate “numerous accusations”, no evidence has been shared to back up the claims against the agency and its personnel, Ms. Touma continued.

ends

STORY: Gaza humanitarian update – OCHA, UNRWA

TRT: 3’53”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 27 May 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Speakers:  

  • Jens Laerke, spokesperson, OCHA
  • Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UNRWA

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium-wide: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley
  2. Wide shot of Press room and podium speakers.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, OCHA: “Of course, we have not stopped operating, we have staff, but as you know very well, we're running on almost 12 weeks - I believe - of blockade with an opening where there is allowed a vastly insufficient amount of aid into the Gaza Strip.”
  4. Medium, journalists.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, OCHA: “As we have explained many times, we do not participate in this modality for the reasons that we have given. It is a distraction from what is actually needed, which is a reopening of all the crossings into Gaza, a secure environment within Gaza and faster facilitation of permissions and final approvals of all the emergency supplies that we have just outside the border; it needs to get in.”
  6. Wide, podium speakers, journalists.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, OCHA: “We are not always able to collect what is being dropped off on the other side because of the insecure routes that are being assigned to us by the Israeli authority – authorities - to use.”
  8. Medium, podium speakers, TV screen showing remote speaker.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, OCHA: “The bottom line again is that we are talking about a vastly insufficient amount of aid that eventually enters Gaza at the moment. That’s why we need [the] opening of more crossings, we need all types of aid - not that aid that is cherry-picked by the Israeli side that we are allowed to get in.”
  10. Wide, journalists.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UNRWA: “It’s been over 20 months of these claims coming our way, harming the agency's reputation of course, but more importantly, putting the lives of our staff, especially those working in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, at risk.”
  12. Wide, journalists, TV screens showing Juliette Touma.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UNRWA: “The Agency has requested on several occasions for cooperation from the Government of Israel by providing information and evidence to substantiate the numerous accusations made against UNRWA. To date, UNRWA has not received any response, nor has the Government of Israel shared any sufficient evidence to back up these very serious claims against the agency and its personnel.”
  14. Medium-wide, podium speakers, TV screens showing Juliette Touma.
  15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UNRWA: “When it comes to UNRWA, I can confirm that no supplies whatsoever have gone in since the siege began - Israeli-imposed siege began - on 2 March.”
  16. Medium-wide, TV screens showing Juliette Touma, journalists and control booths with UN logo reflected in window.
  17. SOUNDBITE (English) – Juliette Touma, Director of Communications, UNRWA: “We have over 3,000 trucks, in fact, not only a food but also of medicines that are lining up in places like Jordan, like Egypt, that are waiting for the green light to go in and they're carrying medicines and that is expiring soon.”
  18. Medium, journalists.
  19. Medium, journalists.
  20. Medium, journalists.


Audio Files 1
Download Gaza humanitarian update - OCHA, UNRWA (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR ENG FRA

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS

1

1

2

Edited News | UNMAS

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS ENG FRA

Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.

Darfur update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Darfur update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Sudan: ‘History repeating itself’ for Darfur’s children - UNICEF

Mass atrocities in Sudan’s Darfur 20 years ago reverberated as far as Hollywood, but today, a new generation of children faces attacks, hunger and displacement in an emergency largely ignored by the outside world, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.

Gaza update: WHO, UNMAS

1

1

Edited News | WHO , UNMAS

Gaza update: WHO, UNMAS ENG FRA

Desperate and dangerous conditions in Gaza continue to hamper recovery efforts for the wartorn enclave's people, the UN health agency said on Friday, while demining experts warned that they’ve “barely scratched the surface” in assessing the level of contamination of unexploded ordnance.

Jean-Pierre Lacroix (DPO) - Press Conference

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News

Jean-Pierre Lacroix (DPO) - Press Conference ENG FRA

The continued support of UN Member States to Lebanon will be “indispensable” to boost the country’s national armed forces and provide humanitarian assistance with more than one million people still uprooted by the Middle East war, the UN's peacekeeping chief said on Wednesday.