Exhausted Gazans wake from another night of Israeli bombing: UN aid teams
Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.
“We’re waking up from another intense night of bombardments, the fourth night of bombardment since the ceasefire abruptly broke down on Monday night…the situation is gravely, gravely concerning,” said Sam Rose, Senior Deputy Director of Affairs in Gaza for UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestine refugees (UNRWA).
Speaking from close to the Netzarim Corridor bisecting the Gaza Strip which Israeli security forces have begun to reoccupy, Mr. Rose said that bombardments “across the Gaza Strip” caused large-scale loss of life in the past four days.
His comments came as the Israeli Defense Minister reportedly issued instructions for further occupation of parts of Gaza and warned of partial annexation unless further hostages are released.
“Most of those deaths have occurred at night, the Ministry of Health here is reporting around 600 people killed; among those, around 200 women and children,” Mr. Rose told journalists via video link in Geneva. “Absolutely desperate tragedies.”
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) also relayed familiar scenes of panic and desperation from medical and ambulance teams in Gaza: “Colleagues have had hundreds of call-outs across the Gaza Strip and responded to dozens of fatalities and injuries as bombing continues,” he said.
“Doctors are exhausted, essential medical supplies are running low and corridors are crowded with people either in need of treatment or waiting to find out whether their loved ones will survive.”
Evacuation order misery
UNRWA’s Mr. Rose also described the damaging impact of new Israeli evacuation orders on an estimated 100,000 Gazans, in addition to the Israeli decision on 2 March to stop all humanitarian deliveries into the enclave. Aid convoys had been allowed back into Gaza on 19 January, when the fragile six-week ceasefire between Hamas and Israel began.
“This is the longest period [without aid being trucked in] since the start of the conflict back in October 2023,” Mr. Rose insisted.
He added that if the ceasefire is not restored, it will result in “large-scale loss of life, damage to infrastructure property, increased risk of infectious disease and massive trauma for the one million children and for the two million civilians who live in Gaza. And it's worse this time because people are already exhausted.”
Bakery closure anxiety
The UNRWA senior officer warned that an estimated one million people in March will likely go without rations, “so we'll only reach one million people rather than than two million” he said, adding that six of the 25 bakeries that the UN World Food Programme supports have already closed.
Gazans worried about food shortages are already congregating around bakeries in greater numbers than before the aid blockade resumed.
“As this continues, we will see a gradual slide back into what we saw in the worst days of the conflicts in terms of looting, in terms of crowd problems, in terms of agitation and frustration, all translating into desperate conditions amongst the population,” Mr. Rose said.
He explained the risk of aid supply cuts to malnourished children in Gaza who need steady supplies for five to six weeks “just to stabilize their condition - there's no improvement in their weights (and) in their nutritional situation over those weeks”.
From the UN Children’s Fund, UNICEF, spokesperson James Elder condemned the impact of the war on the enclave’s youngsters, since it erupted on 7 October 2023 in response to Hamas-led terror attacks in Israel that killed around 1,250 people and left more than 250 taken hostage.
“Child psychologists would say our absolute nightmare is that they return home and then [the war] starts again. So, that’s the terrain that we've now entered. We don't have an example in modern history in terms of an entire child population needing mental health support. And there's no exaggeration that's the case.”
UNRWA’s Mr. Rose noted that before the resumption of Israeli bombing, the UN agency had restored primary healthcare to 200,000 people by reopening its health centres. In addition, children once again had access to education, with some 50,000 boys and girls back at school across central and southern Gaza.
“The images, the videos, the life and the happiness in the eyes of the children, the pupils was really something to behold,” Mr. Rose said. “One of the few positive stories that we'd have been able to communicate from from Gaza, but alas, all that is, is back to naught.”
ends
STORY: Gaza update – UNRWA, UNICEF, IFRC
TRT: 02’44”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 21 March 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Speakers:
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , IOM
Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians
Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP
Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR
In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians
Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS
UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line
The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO
As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR
This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF
Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.