UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: DR Congo Refugees UNHCR
/
1:50
/
MP4
/
155.8 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNHCR

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: DR Congo Refugees UNHCR 07JUL2020

Thousands continue to flee DR Congo violence seeking shelter in Uganda

Thousands of people fleeing murderous attacks in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo have crossed into neighbouring Uganda, the UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, said on Tuesday.

“More than 3,000 refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo arrived in Uganda between Wednesday and Friday last week during a temporary opening of two border crossing points at Golajo and Mount Zeu, north-western Uganda,” said Charlie Yaxley, UNHCR spokesperson.

“The new arrivals were previously part of a larger group of approximately 45,000 people, according to local DRC authorities,” he continued, adding that they had attempted to flee towards the Ugandan border “shortly after deadly clashes erupted between armed militia groups in Ituri province on 17 and 18 May”.

The development comes amid intensifying violence attributed to the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) in the last 18 months, particularly in Ituri province, as well as deadly intercommunal violence involving Hema and Lendu people.

The ADF attacks have left more than 793 people dead and dozens of others injured, according to the UN human rights office, OHCHR, which said on Monday that the violence may amount to crimes against humanity and war crimes.

The UNHCR official’s comments echoed reports that civilians had endured unspeakable horrors at the hands of the ADF, whose intention appears to have been “to leave no survivors”, according to a report by the UN Joint Human Rights Office in the DRC (UNJHRO).

It detailed a “systematic and brutal” campaign of violence by ADF forces, who have been active in Beni territory, North Kivu province, for more than three decades.

Their move into Ituri province follows military campaigns against them, particularly since October 2019, forcing them to disperse into small groups and flee to other areas, especially to Irumu territory in neighbouring Ituri province.

According to the UNJHRO report, ADF assailants used heavy weaponry during attacks against villages, including AK47s and mortars, and also machetes and knives.

They also burned down villages, destroyed health centres and schools and abducted and recruited women and children.

“Some of the refugees shared heart-wrenching accounts of militia attacks on their villages (with) our staff,” said Mr. Yaxley. “Many of them told us that they were separated from their families and had little time to pack any belongings or look for family members before fleeing. Very few were able to carry personal items and most fled barefoot with only the clothes they were wearing.”

Speaking in Geneva, the UNHCR official noted that 65 per cent of the new arrivals in Uganda were children, along with 33 pregnant women, two of whom were immediately taken to a health centre last week to give birth.

While some of those waiting at the Ugandan border had returned home, others stayed close to the border, unable to cross for more than a month, owing to border closures on the Uganda side to contain the spread of COVID-19.

To date, Ugandan authorities have conducted new coronavirus testing “with the first 570 samples returning negative”, Mr. Yaxley said.

He added that UNHCR “welcomes the decision of the Government of Uganda to allow the group of refugees to enter the country and receive lifesaving aid and protection. This effort demonstrates how, through quarantines, health screenings and other measures, States can uphold their obligations under international law during the pandemic, while at the same time limiting potential transmission of the virus.”

Following the mandatory quarantine period of 14 days, in line with national guidelines and protocols, asylum-seekers will be transported to existing refugee settlements.

  1. Exterior shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, sunny, flags fluttering.
  2. SOUNDBITE (English) – Charlie Yaxley, spokesperson, UNHCR: “More than 3,000 refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) arrived in Uganda between Wednesday and Friday last week during a temporary opening of two border crossing points at Golajo and Mount Zeu, north-western Uganda.”
  3. Exterior shot, Palais des Nations with UN lettering and logo, shot from below.
  4. SOUNDBITE (English) – Charlie Yaxley, spokesperson, UNHCR: “The new arrivals were previously part of a larger group of approximately 45,000 people, according to local DRC authorities, who had attempted to flee towards the Ugandan border shortly after deadly clashes erupted between armed militia groups in Ituri province on 17 and 18 May.”
  5. Medium shot, journalist looking at laptop computer, seated.
  6. SOUNDBITE (English) – Charlie Yaxley, spokesperson, UNHCR: “Some of the refugees shared heart-wrenching accounts of militia attacks on their villages to our staff. Many of them told us that they were separated from their families and had little time to pack any belongings or look for family members before fleeing. Very few were able to carry personal items and most fled barefoot with only the clothes they were wearing.”
  7. Medium shot, journalist seated at table with laptop.
  8. SOUNDBITE (English) – Charlie Yaxley, spokesperson, UNHCR: “The Ugandan Health Ministry has been conducting sample COVID-19 testing, with the first 570 samples returning negative.”
  9. Medium shot: observer checking mobile phone, seated.
  10. SOUNDBITE (English) – Charlie Yaxley, spokesperson, UNHCR: “UNHCR welcomes the decision of the Government of Uganda to allow the group of refugees to enter the country and receive life-saving aid and protection. This effort demonstrates how, through quarantines, health screenings and other measures, States can uphold their obligations under international law during the pandemic, while at the same time limiting potential transmission of the virus.”
  11. Wide shot: UN Geneva Palais des Nations.
  12. Wide shot: “Broken chair” memorial, Place des Nations, Geneva.

Similar Stories

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF ENG FRA

Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF

The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday

DRC Ebola update - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA

DRC Ebola update - OCHA ENG FRA

As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.

Ebola DRC update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola DRC update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO

From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNFPA

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA ENG FRA

Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone 

Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO ENG FRA

Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN

As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.

Myanmar crisis:  Human Rights Council probe

2

1

2

Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC

Myanmar crisis: Human Rights Council probe ENG FRA

Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence –  Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.

Peacocks return to UN Geneva

1

6

1

1

Edited News | UNOG

Peacocks return to UN Geneva ENG FRA

In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP ENG FRA

Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP     

Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.

In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.

 

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM

1

1

2

Edited News | IOM

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM ENG FRA

From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams

A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.

Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women ENG FRA

In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water       

As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.