Syria humanitarian update OHCHR - WHO - OCHA
/
3:11
/
MP4
/
234.3 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OHCHR , WHO , OCHA

Syria humanitarian update OHCHR - WHO - OCHA

Syria escalation: Civilians face deadly attacks, health care in distress and aid access compromised

The ongoing escalation of violence in northwest Syria linked to the wider conflict in Gaza and Lebanon has left civilians dead and injured, hospitals “overwhelmed” and attacks on healthcare on the rise, the UN warned on Tuesday.

Renewed fighting last week led by the terrorist group Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and other armed factions has engulfed parts of Aleppo, Idlib and Hama, destabilising frontlines that had remained unchanged since 2020.

UN human rights office (OHCHR) spokesperson Jeremy Laurence told reporters in Geneva that the Office has documented “a number of extremely concerning incidents resulting in multiple civilian casualties, including a high number of women and children, stemming from attacks by both HTS and by pro-government forces”.

“The hostilities are resulting in destruction and damage to civilian objects, including health facilities, buildings hosting institutions dedicated to education, and food markets,” he said.

The UN human rights office has already begun the process of verifying deadly attacks impacting civilians including the deaths of four civilian men on 29 November, “reportedly as a result of multiple ground-based strikes by HTS” hitting an area hosting Aleppo university’s student dorms, the OHCHR spokesperson said.

“According to information gathered by our Office, all victims were students of the university and, following that, many other students fled the university complex,” he added.

Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), stressed that the situation in the area is “fluid and constantly changing”. While OCHA runs “very solid” coordination mechanisms within Syria and across the border with the humanitarian hub in Gaziantep, Türkiye, it has been forced to put its operation on hold “because of the insecurity,” as active fighting is ongoing and many roads are closed.

However, “it's not the entire area that is locked down,” he said. “There are still places where we can respond, for example, in the reception centres in Idlib” to where people have been moving.

According to OCHA, some 16.7 million Syrians were already in need of humanitarian assistance at the start of 2024.

OHCHR spokesperson Mr. Laurence also highlighted an incident on 1 December in which 22 civilians were killed, including three women and seven children, and at least 40 others were injured, “reportedly as a result of multiple airstrikes by pro-government forces in Idlib” which hit a local market and five residential areas in the city.

“We remind all parties of their obligations and responsibilities under international human rights law and humanitarian law: civilians and civilian infrastructure must be protected,” he stressed.

Echoing this call, the UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria warned in a statement on Tuesday that “the brutality of past years must not be repeated, or Syria will be driven onto a new trajectory of atrocities”.

Turning to the dire health situation in the northwestern regions, UN World Health Organization (WHO) Representative in Syria, Christina Bethke, said that referral hospitals, to which scores of patients are being evacuated from Aleppo by “brave first responders” such as the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, are “overwhelmed” with trauma cases.

“Thousands of injuries have already been admitted in the last four days alone,” she said, while doctors and nurses “are working around the clock to save lives, even at great personal risk to themselves and their families, choosing to stay instead of to flee”.

Speaking from Damascus, Ms. Bethke highlighted that “insecurity and restrictions on movement have forced around 65 non-governmental organizations that were previously operational in Aleppo and Idlib to suspend their activities”, leaving health facilities overwhelmed or out of service.

“That includes one of Idlib’s largest hospitals, Bab al-Hawa, and Al Razi Hospital in Aleppo, both now reduced to serving emergency cases only and “leaving countless patients in limbo”.

In Aleppo City, home to over two million people, more than 100 health facilities were functioning just a week ago. “Today, fewer than eight hospitals continue to operate at minimal capacity,” Ms. Bethke said.

She added that Monday’s airstrikes in Idlib caused significant damage to healthcare facilities including the University Hospital, the Maternity Hospital and the local health administration.

Since 27 November, WHO has received reports of at least six attacks on health care in Syria. Ms. Bethke reiterated that medical facilities are protected under international humanitarian law.

Syria’s health system has been fragilized by almost 14 years of armed conflict and the WHO official said that public health concerns are “escalating” amid the crisis, including an increased risk of waterborne diseases and respiratory illness in overcrowded shelter settings. Aleppo and Idlib were at the centre of the 2022-2023 outbreak of cholera in Syria and the 2023 earthquake further damaged already-fragile water and sewer networks, she stressed.

Many families in Syria have experienced repeated displacement, including the estimated half a million people who entered the country from Lebanon over the past two months, fleeing the deadly conflict there. Some of them are on the move once again due to the rise in fighting in the northwest and their situation is growing desperate with the onset of winter. At the start of 2024, 7.2 million people were internally displaced in Syria, almost half of them in the northwest, where the current armed escalation presents challenges to the delivery of life-saving aid.

-Ends -

STORY: 20241203 Syria humanitarian update OHCHR - WHO - OCHA

TRT: 3:11”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 3 DECEMBER 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR): “Our Office has documented a number of extremely concerning incidents resulting in multiple civilian casualties, including a high number of women and children, stemming from attacks by both Hayat Tahrir al-Shams (HTS) and by pro-government forces.”

4. Wide lateral shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR): “We are in the process of verifying deadly attacks impacting civilians. For example, on 29 November, four civilian men were killed reportedly as a result of multiple ground-based strikes by HTS hitting an area hosting the Aleppo university student dormitories in the Hamdaniyah neighborhood in the western part of the city of Aleppo.”

6. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christina Bethke, Acting Representative in Syria, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “Referral hospitals are overwhelmed with those trauma cases and thousands of injuries have already been admitted in the last four days alone. Doctors and nurses, while they’re in some cases limited, are working around the clock to save lives, even at great personal risk to themselves and their families, choosing to stay instead of to flee.”

8. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) Christina Bethke, Acting Representative in Syria, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “Insecurity and restrictions on movement have forced around 65 non-governmental organizations that were previously operational in Aleppo and Idlib to suspend their activities, and in many cases this is leaving health facilities overwhelmed or out of service. That includes one of Idlib’s largest hospitals, Bab Al Hawa, and Al Razi Hospital in Aleppo, both of which are reduced to serving emergency cases only and leaving countless patients in limbo.”

10. Wide lateral shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christina Bethke, Acting Representative in Syria, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “Today, fewer than eight hospitals continue to operate at minimal capacity and are overwhelmed, as we’ve already heard. At the same time, yesterday’s airstrikes in Idlib caused significant damage to healthcare facilities, and that includes the University Hospital there, the Maternity Hospital and the local health administration.”

12. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We remain in contact with the NGOs that we work with. We know, like we have been forced to put our operations on hold because of the insecurity, a number of them have done the same. It is, when I say insecurity and lack of access, it's basically two things. It's, of course, the active acts of fighting, of hostilities, but it's also roads that are closed.”

14. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “However, it's not the entire area that is just locked down. There are still places where we can respond, for example, in the reception centers in Idlib to where we have seen a number of people moving to.”

16. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.


Audio Files 1
Download Syria humanitarian update OHCHR - WHO - OCHA (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.