Lebanon update OCHA - WHO
/
2:06
/
MP4
/
154 MB
Transcripts
Download

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Lebanon update OCHA - WHO

Lebanon: widescale displacement continues amid ongoing bombing

In south and east Lebanon civilians continue to face airstrikes, mass forced displacement and deprivation as the fight between Israel and Hezbollah militia goes on against the backdrop of war in Gaza.

In recent days, “an estimated 50,000 people have left Baalbek heading mostly to areas in the north of the Bekaa Valley, with many people spending the night in their vehicles,” said Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN aid coordination office (OCHA). Speaking to journalists in Geneva, he described how “relentless displacement orders and subsequent airstrikes have dramatically increased displacement to a total of more than 842,000, over half of them women and girls”.

In addition to those internally displaced, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, has recorded 460,000 people crossing into Syria; 70 per cent of whom were Syrians and 30 per cent Lebanese or other nationals - as well as 25,000 Lebanese arriving in Iraq. That represents a total of more than 1.3 million people now uprooted since the Gaza-Israel war began on 7 October 2023.

UN agencies and partners on the ground are responding to the urgent needs, rushing hot meals, clean water, medical supplies, mattresses, health kits and other basic items to vulnerable individuals. “We are working to access civilians who remain in hard-to-reach areas,” explained Mr. Laerke. “To date, 15 convoys have successfully been organized to reach areas in Tyre, Hasbaya, Marjayoun and Baalbek. But the insecurity has an impact on what we can do,” he added, as two humanitarian convoys to Baalbek were cancelled owing to the deteriorating security there.

A lack of funding is also undermining efforts. The UN flash appeal of $426 million for Lebanon is only 16 per cent funded at $73 million, far from the $800 million in pledges announced at the Paris Conference on Lebanon one week ago.

At the same time the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday that it is deeply concerned about rising attacks on health workers and facilities in Lebanon, warning that the healthcare system was already under enormous pressure before the Israeli war against Hezbollah. Since an escalation of hostilities on 17 September 2024, the UN health agency has verified 55 attacks on healthcare in Lebanon, causing 102 deaths with 83 injured. “But the (Lebanese) Ministry of Health is reporting that there are much higher numbers,” said Dr. Margaret Harris, WHO spokesperson. Many health workers have been killed or injured while off duty, she said, and this matters because “the health systems are already overstretched, health workers are already overworked and displaced. We are continuing to lose health workers at the very time when they are needed most”.

Asked whether Israel was attacking health facilities without any precaution as has been reported in Gaza, Dr. Harris replied that the WHO was “again and again and again emphasizing that health care is not a target, health workers are not a target. And we are certainly concerned about seeing the same pattern.”

Airstrikes have killed more than 2,800 people in Lebanon and wounded more than 13,000 others nationwide since the start of the Gaza war last year, when Hezbollah began attacking northern Israel with rockets as a “support front” for the Gaza Strip. Most of the casualties in Lebanon have occurred since last September.

Ends

Story: “Lebanon update – OCHA, WHO” – 01 November 2024

Speakers are spokespersons:

  • Jens Laerke, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
  • Margaret Harris, World Health Organization (WHO)

TRT: 02’06”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 01 November 2024 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Geneva Press briefing



SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN flag alley.
  2. Wide shot of the podium with speakers at the press conference room.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “In recent days, an estimated 50,000 people have left Baalbek heading mostly to areas in the north of the Bekaa Valley, with many people spending the night in their vehicles. These relentless displacement orders and subsequent airstrikes have dramatically increased displacement to a total of more than 842,000, over half of them women and girls.”
  4. Medium shot of the speakers on the podium at the press conference room.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We are working to access civilians who remain in hard-to-reach areas. To date, 15 convoys have successfully been organized to reach areas in Tyre, Hasbaya, Marjayoun and Baalbek. But the insecurity has an impact on what we can do. Two humanitarian convoys to Baalbek were canceled due to the recently deteriorating security there.
  6. Medium shot: journalists at the press conference room.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We have a flash appeal out there for $426 million, but it is today just 16 per cent funded with $73 million.”
  8. Cutaway Medium shot of journalists in the press conference room.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) Margaret Harris, spokesperson for the World Health Organization (WHO): “We've had 55 attacks verified, but the Ministry of Health is reporting that there are much higher numbers, as many workers have been killed or injured while off duty, and this matters because the health systems are already overstretched, health workers are already overworked and displaced. So, we are continuing to lose health workers at the very time when they are needed most.”

  10. Close shot of a laptop screen with the WHO spokesperson on.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) Margaret Harris, spokesperson for the World Health Organization (WHO): “We are, again and again and again emphasizing that health care is not a target. Health workers are not a target. And we are certainly concerned about seeing the same pattern.”
  12. Wide shot of press conference room.
  13. Close shots of journalists in the press conference room.


Audio Files 1
Download Lebanon update OCHA - WHO (Edited Story)
Download

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025 ENG FRA

World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response 

Gaza update -  UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

Gaza update - UN Women ENG FRA

Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women

Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon ENG FRA

Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory ENG FRA

A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility. 

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025 ENG FRA

Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.

Gaza update  UNICEF - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA

Gaza update UNICEF - OCHA ENG FRA

Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard

Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO ENG FRA

Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?

That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank. 

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan ENG FRA

At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.