Lebanon: widescale displacement continues amid ongoing bombing
In south and east Lebanon civilians continue to face airstrikes, mass forced displacement and deprivation as the fight between Israel and Hezbollah militia goes on against the backdrop of war in Gaza.
In recent days, “an estimated 50,000 people have left Baalbek heading mostly to areas in the north of the Bekaa Valley, with many people spending the night in their vehicles,” said Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN aid coordination office (OCHA). Speaking to journalists in Geneva, he described how “relentless displacement orders and subsequent airstrikes have dramatically increased displacement to a total of more than 842,000, over half of them women and girls”.
In addition to those internally displaced, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, has recorded 460,000 people crossing into Syria; 70 per cent of whom were Syrians and 30 per cent Lebanese or other nationals - as well as 25,000 Lebanese arriving in Iraq. That represents a total of more than 1.3 million people now uprooted since the Gaza-Israel war began on 7 October 2023.
UN agencies and partners on the ground are responding to the urgent needs, rushing hot meals, clean water, medical supplies, mattresses, health kits and other basic items to vulnerable individuals. “We are working to access civilians who remain in hard-to-reach areas,” explained Mr. Laerke. “To date, 15 convoys have successfully been organized to reach areas in Tyre, Hasbaya, Marjayoun and Baalbek. But the insecurity has an impact on what we can do,” he added, as two humanitarian convoys to Baalbek were cancelled owing to the deteriorating security there.
A lack of funding is also undermining efforts. The UN flash appeal of $426 million for Lebanon is only 16 per cent funded at $73 million, far from the $800 million in pledges announced at the Paris Conference on Lebanon one week ago.
At the same time the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday that it is deeply concerned about rising attacks on health workers and facilities in Lebanon, warning that the healthcare system was already under enormous pressure before the Israeli war against Hezbollah. Since an escalation of hostilities on 17 September 2024, the UN health agency has verified 55 attacks on healthcare in Lebanon, causing 102 deaths with 83 injured. “But the (Lebanese) Ministry of Health is reporting that there are much higher numbers,” said Dr. Margaret Harris, WHO spokesperson. Many health workers have been killed or injured while off duty, she said, and this matters because “the health systems are already overstretched, health workers are already overworked and displaced. We are continuing to lose health workers at the very time when they are needed most”.
Asked whether Israel was attacking health facilities without any precaution as has been reported in Gaza, Dr. Harris replied that the WHO was “again and again and again emphasizing that health care is not a target, health workers are not a target. And we are certainly concerned about seeing the same pattern.”
Airstrikes have killed more than 2,800 people in Lebanon and wounded more than 13,000 others nationwide since the start of the Gaza war last year, when Hezbollah began attacking northern Israel with rockets as a “support front” for the Gaza Strip. Most of the casualties in Lebanon have occurred since last September.
Ends
Story: “Lebanon update – OCHA, WHO” – 01 November 2024
Speakers are spokespersons:
TRT: 02’06”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 01 November 2024 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Geneva Press briefing
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF
The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA
As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO
From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNFPA
Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone
Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , WHO
Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN
As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.
2
1
2
Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC
Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence – Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.
1
6
1
1
Edited News | UNOG
In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP
Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.
In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.
1
1
2
Edited News | IOM
From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams
A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.
Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.
1
1
1
Edited News | UN WOMEN
In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water
As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.