Papua New Guinea disaster - IOM 28 May 2024
/
2:24
/
MP4
/
271.1 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | IOM

Papua New Guinea disaster - IOM 28 May 2024

Papua New Guinea landslide response hampered by complex conditions

Efforts to rescue those impacted by the deadly landslide in Papua New Guinea that has claimed an estimated 2,000 lives have been complicated by fears that the waterlogged ground could shift again. “We don’t want a disaster on top of the current one,” said Itayi Viriri, UN migration agency (IOM) regional spokesperson for Asia and the Pacific, on Tuesday.

Reports from the National Disaster Center indicate that up to 2,000 people were buried under mud and rubble after a massive landslide last Friday at 3am “when most people were probably sleeping”, said Itayi Viriri, UN migration agency (IOM) regional spokesperson for Asia and the Pacific.

The landslide engulfed the area, burying homes, infrastructure and farmland under up to eight metres of soil and debris. Only six bodies have been recovered so far. 

Speaking to journalists in Geneva from Bangkok via Zoom, the IOM spokesperson highlighted the vulnerability of those affected by the disaster: “A lot of the people who have been affected by this landslide actually moved to this area after escaping tribal conflicts in other parts of the province of Enga. So these are people who are already displaced who are now having to move to other locations.”

Dramatic video from the scene of the disaster showed locals and rescue workers struggling to shift a wall of mud and rubble using shovels. But safe access continues to be extremely difficult. “Just today, this morning, one of the main thoroughfares leading to this area, a bridge there collapsed. And now they have to fix it to make sure that all the convoys that are going to provide support have access.”

The UN agency warned that with so many bodies still to be recovered from beneath the rubble, there are concerns that underground water flowing down the mountain will contaminate local drinking water sources. 

Most of the area’s sources of clean drinking water are now inaccessible because of the landslide.  

“What is needed now, obviously, is access to clean water; quite a lot of the water that normally the community would access is already under rubble,” Mr. Viriri said. “So, providing that along with, food, of course, clothing, shelter items, kitchen utensils, anything that will try and alleviate the hardship that the people are facing right now.”

Heavy rains continue to hamper the relief effort, however. “This landslide that happened on Friday had not happened before in this area so it’s hard to say if it will happen again,” the IOM spokesperson said. “The soil is unsteady…and you’ve seen some of the videos of the water coming out in some of the rubble, so that makes it even more so. Yes, unfortunately we have to consider that it might happen again.”

ends

STORY: Papua New Guinea landslide update - IOM

TRT: 2’23”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 28 MAY 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide: UN Geneva flag alley

2. Wide: Press conference room, UN Geneva.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Itayi Viriri, UN migration agency (IOM) regional spokesperson for Asia and the Pacific (from Bangkok via Zoom): “The National Disaster Center has estimated that up to 2000 people are still buried under the rubble after the massive landslide that took place on Friday at 3am when most people were probably sleeping.

4. Wide: journalists seated and TV camera operators in press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Itayi Viriri, UN migration agency (IOM) regional spokesperson for Asia and the Pacific (from Bangkok via Zoom) “A lot of the people who have been affected by this landslide actually moved to this area after escaping tribal conflicts in other parts of the province of Enga. So, these are people who are already displaced who are now having to move to other locations.”

6. Medium: journalists in the Press room.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Itayi Viriri, UN migration agency (IOM) regional spokesperson for Asia and the Pacific (from Bangkok via Zoom): “What is needed now, obviously, is access to clean water; quite a lot of the water that normally the community would access is already under rubble. So, providing that along with, food, of course, clothing, shelter items, kitchen utensils, anything that will try and alleviate the hardship that the people are facing right now.”

8. Medium: Journalists seated in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Itayi Viriri, UN migration agency (IOM) regional spokesperson for Asia and the Pacific (from Bangkok via Zoom): And the reality also is that access to the area for, you know, Government and other agencies is quite difficult. Just today, this morning, one of the main thoroughfares leading to this area, a bridge there collapsed. And now they have to fix it to make sure that all the convoys that are going to provide support have access.”

10. Medium: journalists seated amid microphones.

11. SOUNDBITE (English): Itayi Viriri, UN migration agency (IOM) regional spokesperson for Asia and the Pacific (from Bangkok via Zoom): “This landslide that happened on Friday had not happened before in this area so it’s hard to say if it will happen again. But with the continued heavy rains in the vicinity obviously everything is – the soil is unsteady – and all the rubble is still (seeing) some movement and you’ve seen some of the videos of the water coming out in some of the rubble, so that makes it even more so. (So) yes, unfortunately we have to consider that it might happen again.”

12. Medium shot: Journalist in the Press room.

Additional images from PNG here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qvqnOum0R2Lg0FzyeHnXRvoRbKCLDu4Z


Documents 1
Download Storyline
Download Expired

Audio Files 1
Download Papua New Guinea disaster - IOM 28 May 2024
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF ENG FRA

Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF

The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday

DRC Ebola update - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA

DRC Ebola update - OCHA ENG FRA

As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.

Ebola DRC update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola DRC update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO

From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNFPA

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA ENG FRA

Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone 

Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO ENG FRA

Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN

As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.

Myanmar crisis:  Human Rights Council probe

2

1

2

Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC

Myanmar crisis: Human Rights Council probe ENG FRA

Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence –  Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.

Peacocks return to UN Geneva

1

6

1

1

Edited News | UNOG

Peacocks return to UN Geneva ENG FRA

In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP ENG FRA

Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP     

Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.

In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.

 

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM

1

1

2

Edited News | IOM

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM ENG FRA

From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams

A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.

Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women ENG FRA

In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water       

As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.