UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 Cox’s Bazar - UNHCR - WFP - IOM
/
1:47
/
MP4
/
134.6 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNHCR , WFP , IOM

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: COVID-19 Cox’s Bazar - UNHCR - WFP - IOM

  • UN agencies step up support for Rohingya camp complex, host communities as first case of COVID-19 infection is confirmed
  • Following confirmation that the first cases of COVID-19 infection have been identified in an overcrowded refugee camp in Bangladesh, UN humanitarians on Friday announced additional measures and appealed for funds to prevent the spread of the disease.

    Speaking via videoconference, UN refugee agency (UNHCR) spokesperson Andrej Mahecic relayed Government confirmation that “one Rohingya refugee has tested positive for COVID-19 in the Kutapalong refugee settlement in Bangladesh”, in reference to a megacamp that is home to many hundreds of thousands of people who fled neighbouring Myanmar in 2017.

    The UNHCR official continued: “In addition, one member of the local Bangladeshi host community has also tested positive. Both had approached health facilities run by humanitarian partners, where samples were taken.”

    A series of concerted COVID-19 contingency measures have already been put in place in recent months by several UN agencies, but further international support is needed to assist the many vulnerable people in and around Cox’s Bazar.

    “IOM is preparing 250 Severe Acute Respiratory Infection Isolation and Treatment Centres beds which will come on-line shortly,” said Paul Dillon, spokesperson for the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

    Upgraded triage areas have been provided in the 35 primary care facilities that the UN agency supports, “along with three isolation and treatment centres and a 93-unit contact-tracing quarantine centre, large enough to accommodate 465 people is nearing completion”, Mr. Dillon added.

    The development adds further pressure on extremely vulnerable individuals preparing for the approaching monsoon season.

    Last year, 16,000 people were affected in a single 24-hour period during one of the heaviest downpours.

    Among the UN agencies helping to bolster camp residents, the World Food Programme (WFP) is clearing drains and stabilising slopes that have the potential to slip in heavy rain.

    Most of those in the Bangladesh camp complex fled extreme violence in Myanmar’s Rakhine state in August 2017, an exodus previously described as a “textbook example of ethnic cleansing” by then UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein.

    “There are serious concerns about the potentially severe impact of the virus in a densely populated refugee settlement sheltering some 860,000 Rohingya refugees,” said UNHCR’s Mr. Mahecic. “Another 400,000 Bangladeshis live in the surrounding host communities. These populations are considered to be among the most at risk globally in this pandemic.”

    After warning that COVID-19 threatened to reverse development gains made by Bangladesh in the last 50 years, WFP spokesperson Elisabeth Byrs said that $320 million was needed urgently to help the most vulnerable.

    Some $200 million of this funding is required for the agency’s COVID-19 response in Bangladesh and the remaining $120 million is needed to help the mainly Muslim ethnic Rohingya for the next six months, Ms. Byrs added.

    “Lockdowns and restrictions in movement are affecting livelihoods of millions across Bangladesh, especially daily wage earners like rickshaw drivers, day labourers who now find themselves unable to meet their basic needs,” she said.

    Under WFP’s scheme, the funding will ensure food security for families in rural areas and urban slums, as well as day labourers.

    In the meantime, the agency has maintained national distributions of fortified rice, cash transfers and nutrition programmes, to complement Government assistance.

    It has also begun building storage areas for food and non-food items necessary for the COVID-19 response, including personal protective equipment, and is helping other humanitarian agencies by moving supplies into and around Bangladesh.

  1. Wide shot: exterior, main entrance to UN Geneva, seen from above.
  2. SOUNDBITE (EN) – Andrej Mahecic, spokesperson, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNCHR): “According to the Government of Bangladesh, one Rohingya refugee has tested positive for COVID-19 in the Kutapalong refugee settlement in Bangladesh. In addition, one member of the local Bangladeshi host community has also tested positive. Both had approached health facilities run by humanitarian partners, where samples were taken.”
  3. Medium shot: UN Geneva flag alley entrance, filmed from Place des Nations, Geneva.
  4. SOUNDBITE (EN) - SOUNDBITE (EN) – Andrej Mahecic, spokesperson, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNCHR): “There are serious concerns about the potentially severe impact of the virus in a densely populated refugee settlement sheltering some 860,000 Rohingya refugees. Another 400,000 Bangladeshis live in the surrounding host communities. These populations are considered to be among the most at risk globally in this pandemic.”
  5. Medium shot: UN Geneva flag alley.
  6. SOUNDBITE (EN) Elisabeth Byrs, Senior Spokesperson, World Food Programme (WFP): “Lockdowns and restrictions in movement are affecting livelihoods of millions across Bangladesh, especially daily wage earners like rickshaw drivers, day labourers who now find themselves unable to meet their basic needs.”
  7. Medium shot: UN flag alley with UN flag in distance at UN Geneva Palais des Nations.
  8. SOUNDBITE (EN) Paul Dillon, Spokesperson, International Organization for Migration (IOM): “IOM is preparing 250 Severe Acute Respiratory Infection Isolation and Treatment Centres beds which will come on-line shortly. We’ve integrated, we have rather upgraded triage areas in the 35 primary care facilities we support, along with three isolation and treatment centres and a 93-unit contact-tracing quarantine centre, large enough to accommodate 465 people is nearing completion.”
  9. Wide shot: UN Geneva with UN flag flying.

Similar Stories

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR ENG FRA

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS

1

1

2

Edited News | UNMAS

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS ENG FRA

Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.