UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Syria Update WHO - OCHA
/
2:22
/
MP4
/
177 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Syria Update WHO - OCHA

‘Mayhem’ in Idlib’s hospitals amid ongoing violence pushing displaced towards Turkish border

Rapidly escalating conflict in north-west Syria has created health care “mayhem” amid reports of displaced people moving closer to the Turkish border in search of shelter, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported on Friday.

“Health workers the World Health Organization has been speaking to describe mayhem in their health facilities,” WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier said.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva, he said that nearly 170,000 “newly displaced people are sleeping out in the open” in Idlib - the last opposition-held area of Syria that is the target of a Government-led military campaign. This “has been exposing children to temperatures close to zero degrees. And that is a drama”.

Since 1 December, 11 healthcare facilities have been attacked, causing 10 deaths and 37 injuries, according to WHO.

The UN agency warned that the displacement crisis has created huge healthcare needs in some medical centres and hospitals but left other facilities deserted, amid a “sharp rise in trauma cases”.

“As of today, 84 health facilities have been forced to suspend operations since 1 December last year, out of those 84, 31 have been able to relocate and provide services where people have sought refuge from bombardments,” Mr Lindmeier said.

As part of a major and ongoing humanitarian cross-border initiative, WHO sent medical and surgical supplies from Turkey to northwest Syria on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“In a two-day operation, WHO has sent seven truckloads, or 55 tons of medicine and medical supplies, from Turkey into Idleb governorate and parts of Aleppo,” Mr Lindmeier explained.

Using the border crossings of Bab al Hawa and Bab al Sama, the UN agency transported equipment including 3,200 trauma and surgical treatments.

These are being distributed to WHO partners in more than 150 facilities - approximately half of functioning health facilities in the northwest.

Since 1 December, the Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Friday that that nearly a million people have been displaced in the embattled region.

Conditions are “horrifying”, spokesperson Jens Laerke said.

“We now have 950,000 displacements going in absolutely horrifying conditions. People have nothing and they have no place to go. So you know, this is an increase upon an increase upon an increase, and it is really tragic to see what is going on.”

Amid reports that the Turkish authorities had begun allowing Syrian civilians to cross into Turkey after

dozens of Turkish soldiers were reportedly killed in an attack linked to Syrian Government forces, Mr Laerke said that OCHA had yet to receive confirmation of this.

“We have no official confirmation from or communication from the Turkish Government about any change as of now,” he said. “So, the cross-border operation does continue and I could add that in the first two months of this year, we have had more than 2,000 trucks crossing that border and that operation continues.”

  1. Wide shot: exterior, flag alley, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva.
  2. Medium shot: Press briefing room, journalists, podium with speakers and UN logo.
  3. SOUNDBITE (EN) — Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, the World Health Organization (WHO):
  4. “As of today, 28 February, attacks on health in Syria since the mass displacement started on 1 December, are 11 in total, causing 10 deaths and 37 injuries.”
  5. Medium shot: journalists, one of who is typing on laptop then looking at podium speaker, profile.
  6. SOUNDBITE (EN) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We now have 950,000 displacements going in absolutely horrifying conditions. People have nothing and they have no place to go. So you know, this is an increase upon an increase upon an increase, and it is really tragic to see what is going on.”
  7. Close-up: journalists’ faces, profile.
  8. SOUNDBITE (EN) — Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, the World Health Organization (WHO):
  9. “Nearly 170,000 newly displaced people are sleeping out in the open, as you rightly said, which has been exposing children to temperatures close to zero degrees. And that is a drama.”
  10. Close-up: journalist holding mobile phone, podium speakers in background, UN logo.
  11. SOUNDBITE (EN) — Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, the (WHO):
  12. “In a two-day operation, WHO has sent seven truckloads, or 55 tons of medicine and medical supplies, from Turkey into Idleb governorate and parts of Aleppo.”
  13. Close-up: hands typing on laptop.
  14. SOUNDBITE (EN) — Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, the World Health Organization (WHO): “Health workers the World Health Organization has been speaking to describe mayhem in their health facilities.”
  15. Medium shot: journalist looking at laptop, onlooker in background.
  16. SOUNDBITE (EN) — Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, the World Health Organization (WHO): “As of today, 84 health facilities have been forced to suspend operations since 1 December last year, out of those 84, 31 have been able to relocate and provide services where people have sought refuge from bombardments.”
  17. Close-up: journalists, head shots, semi-profile.
  18. Close-up: hands typing on laptops.
  19. SOUNDBITE (EN) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We have no official confirmation from or communication from the Turkish Government about any change as of now. So, the cross-border operation does continue and I could add that in the first two months of this year we have had more than 2,000 trucks crossing that border and that operation continues.”
  20. Close-up: showing handwriting on press release.
  21. Medium shot: journalists, podium with speakers and UN logo.

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.