Urgent Ceasefires Need for Ukraine OCHA - UNHCR - FAO 08 April 2022
/
3:07
/
MP4
/
237 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNHCR , OCHA , FAO

Urgent Localized Ceasefires Need for Ukraine OCHA - UNHCR - FAO 08 April 2022

STORY: UN humanitarians stress urgent need for ‘localized’ ceasefires in Ukraine – OCHA, UNHCR, FAO


TRT: 3 mins 07s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 08 April 2022
VIRTUAL PRESS BRIEFING
GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

STORYLINE


Ukraine: UN humanitarians stress urgent need for ‘localized’ ceasefires

Local ceasefires are needed more urgently than ever in Ukraine as conflict shifts to the eastern oblasts, UN humanitarians said on Friday, while global food prices spiked to record levels.

Six weeks since the Russian invasion, thousands of civilians are believed to be still trapped in the southern port city of Mariupol, where they’ve faced weeks of heavy shelling.

But there is still no truce agreement between Russian and Ukrainian forces to let them escape safely, amid continuing mediation efforts by UN emergency relief chief Martin Griffiths.

Agreement is key

“What is important is to get the parties to agree on… localised ceasefires,” said Jens Laerke, from UN aid coordination office OCHA. “It is a top priority to get the silencing of the guns in those cities, Mariupol being the worst affected, those where citizens are trapped. To allow them to get to safety voluntarily, to a place of their choosing. And to allow aid to get in. So, this is an incremental process.”

As fighting moves to Luhansk and Donetsk, Mr. Laerke said that the UN and its partners are trying to push as much aid in as possible.

“People are still hunkered down in basements in Luhansk and Donetsk. We have in our planning convoys to go there…next week. Again, whether that happens again depends on the security situation.”

The growing concerns come as UN agencies condemned a reported missile strike on a train station in Donetsk oblast, killing at least 39 civilians including four children.

In a statement on Friday, UN Crisis Coordinator for Ukraine, Amin Awad, said that many suffered terrible injuries at Kramatorsk railway station and that the number of fatalities was likely to rise.

Exodus continues

Since the war began on 24 February, well over four million people have fled Ukraine, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) confirmed.

“The war in Ukraine has triggered one of the fastest-growing displacement and humanitarian crises ever,” said UNHCR spokesperson Matthew Saltmarsh. “Within six weeks, more than 4.3 million refugees have fled the country, while a further 7.1 million are displaced internally.”

Inside Ukraine, core relief items have been distributed to reception centres set up by local authorities but delivering aid to areas of active fighting “remains challenging,” Mr. Saltmarsh explained.

Lifesaving convoys

“We continue striving to reach hard-hit areas such as Mariupol and Kherson with life-saving assistance as part of inter-agency humanitarian convoys and have contributed to four such convoys under the humanitarian notification system: two to Sumy, one to Kharkiv and one to Sieverodonetsk, and delivered several additional convoys with the help of partners, reaching 15,600 people with relief items.”

The UN remains seriously concerned over continued attacks on health care inside Ukraine, as the World Health Organization (WHO) verified that more than 100 attacks on health care have happened since the start of the war on 24 February.

“The attacks so far have claimed 73 lives and injured 51 people,” said WHO spokesperson Fadela Chaib.

Of the 103 attacks to date, 89 have impacted health facilities and 13 have affected transport, including ambulances.

Skyrocketing food prices

The conflict in Ukraine has also added to fears of skyrocketing global food prices, as the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) warned that its Food Price Index had made a “giant leap” to a new high since its inception in 1990.

“Driven largely by the conflict-related export disruptions from Ukraine and the Russian Federation, cereal prices jumped by nearly 20 per cent,” said Josef Schmidhuber, Deputy Director, Markets and Trade Division, FAO. “This was fuelled also by concerns about crop conditions in the US and in China, particularly for the wheat in China. And the other big component of course is that Ukraine is the third largest exporter of maize.”

The latest increase reflects new all-time highs for vegetable oils, cereals and meat sub-indices, FAO said, while sugar and dairy products also rose significantly in price.

$25 billion fund call for food importers

To soften the impact of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on nations that import most of their food needs from both countries, 80 FAO Members on Friday appealed for the creation of a $25 billion fund to help them in the short term.

“This conflict severely aggravates the already considerable food security challenges exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, including already-high price inflation of food and agricultural inputs,” said FAO Member States who called for an Emergency Special Session of the UN agency’s Council.

To cover the most immediate needs, $6.3 billion is required for the Global Food Import Financing Facility to get off the ground, FAO said, noting that much more funding could be made available from other sources, such as Special Drawing Rights issued by the International Monetary Fund, which amounted to $650 billion in August 2021.

“The basic idea is just to alleviate the food import costs, the food import bills for net importers with high net import requirements and low-income levels,” said Mr. Schmidhuber.

Ends

  1. Exterior wide shot, flag alley, UN Geneva.
  2. Wide shot, UN Geneva Press room.

  3. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Jens Laerke OCHA, spokesperson of OCHA: “Don’t expect today or tomorrow or the day after a nationwide ceasefire. That is his analysis of it. But what is important is to get the parties to agree on local ceasefires, localised ceasefires. It is a top priority to get the silencing of the guns in those cities with Mariupol being the worst affected with citizens trapped, to allow them to get to safety voluntarily, to a place of their choosing and to allow aid to get in. So, this is an incremental process.”
  4. Wide shot from the ground, two cameras with tripod in the foreground, podium speakers to rear.
  5. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Jens Laerke, spokesperson of OCHA: “Given the dynamics of the conflict, Luhansk and Donetsk are again becoming areas of heightened humanitarian concern. The fighting is already, you can see it in the news this morning, moving there.”

  6. Medium wide shot, masked participant taking notes on laptop in the foreground, cameraman behind the camera and studio flashlight to rear.

  7. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Jens Laerke, spokesperson of OCHA: “In the meantime, of course, we try to push aid in there as much as we can. People are still hunkered down in basements in Luhansk and Donetsk. We have in our planning convoys to go there; I understand already next week. Everything, whether that happens or not, again depends on the security situation.”

  8. Medium shot, two masked participants listening and taking notes on their laptops.

  9. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Matthew Saltmarsh, spokesperson of UNHCR: “The war in Ukraine has triggered one of the fastest-growing displacement and humanitarian crisis ever. Within six weeks, more than 4.2 million refugees have fled the country, while a further 7.1 million are displaced internally.”

  10. Wide shot, UN Geneva press room, a camera in the foreground, podium speakers and TV screens to rear.

  11. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Matthew Saltmarsh, spokesperson of UNHCR: “We continue striving to reach hard-hit areas such as Mariupol and Kherson with life-saving assistance as part of inter-agency humanitarian convoys and have contributed to four such convoys under the humanitarian notification system.”

  12. Medium shot from back of the participants, participants listening and taking notes in the foreground, TV screen showing podium speakers to rear.
    1. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Josef Schmidhuber (via Zoom), FAO Deputy Director, Markets and Trade Division: “Driven largely by the conflict-related export disruptions from Ukraine and the Russian Federation, cereal prices jumped by nearly 20 per cent and this was fueled also by concerns about crop concerns in the US and China, particularly for winter wheat in China. And the other big component, of course, is that Ukraine is the third largest exporter of maize.”
    1. Medium shot, cameraman from AFP standing to the right side of the shot.

    2. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Josef Schmidhuber (Zoom), FAO Deputy Director, Markets and Trade Division: “The basic idea is just to alleviate the food import costs, the food import bills for the net importers with high net import requirements and low-income levels.”
    3. Medium shot, masked participants listening carefully.
    4. Close-up, finders typing on laptop.
    5. Medium shot, masked participants taking notes in the foreground, cameraman standing beside the studio flashlight to rear.

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO ENG FRA

Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO  

As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division

1

1

1

Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division ENG FRA

This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.

Gaza education update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Gaza education update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF 

Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.