UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Locust Outbreak Response in East Africa OCHA
/
2:00
/
MP4
/
148 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Locust Outbreak Response in East Africa OCHA

The Horn of Africa has been hit by the worst invasion of desert locusts in 25 years, posing a threat to food security to the population in East Africa that is already experiencing a high degree of food insecurity, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said today (Friday). In order to scale up the response to the devastating desert locust outbreak in East Africa, OCHA’s Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) released $10 million.

Speaking today to the media at the United Nations in Geneva, OCHA’s spokesperson Jens Laerke said that “the $10 million allocation from CERF will go to the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and fund an increase in pesticide aerial spraying operations which, given the scale of the current swarms, is the only effective means to reduce the locust numbers.”

Irregular weather and climate conditions in 2019, including heavy rains between October and December, are suspected to have contributed to the spread of locusts in the region.

“The desert locust is among the most dangerous migratory pests in the world. A single locust can travel 150km and eat its own weight in food – about two grams – each day”,Mr. Laerke said. He added that “a small swarm can consume the equivalent of food for 35,000 people in one day. They reproduce rapidly and, if left unchecked, their current numbers could grow 500 times by June”.

Laerke stressed that “we are trying to address the situation before it becomes extremely bad”.

Major locust outbreaks can be devastating as seen in previous outbreaks which had resulted in major harvest losses.

The outbreak is exacerbating the impacts of climate change already being felt in this region.

In Ethiopia, where floods had already affected the harvest, the locust infestation has destroyed hundreds of square kilometres of vegetation in the Amhara and Tigray regions.

Kenya was hit by back-to-back droughts and then floods in 2019. During the past week a significant and extremely dangerous increase in swarm activity has been seen.

In Somalia, tens of thousands of hectares of land have been affected in Somaliland, Puntland and Galmudug (Mudug), and mature swarms are present in the Garbahare area, near the Kenyan border.

“It’s an outbreak that is covering East Africa, the Horn of Africa. It has also been noted in Southwest Asia and the Red Sea, is the worst of its kind in 25 years for Ethiopia and Somalia – and it is also the worst Kenya has seen for 70 years”, resumed OCHA’s spokesperson. “The impacts in these countries are particularly acute as pastures and crops are being wiped out in communities that were already facing food shortages”.

  1. Exterior, Palais des Nations
  2. Wide shot, press briefing room
  3. Close up, journalists
  4. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The $10 million allocation from CERF will go to the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and fund an increase in pesticide aerial spraying operations which, given the scale of the current swarms, is the only effective means to reduce the locust numbers.”
  5. Close up, journalist
  6. SOUNDBITE (English) - Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The desert locust is among the most dangerous migratory pests in the world. A single locust can travel 150km and eat its own weight in food – about two grams – each day. A small swarm can consume the equivalent of food for 35,000 people in one day. They reproduce rapidly and, if left unchecked, their current numbers could grow 500 times by June”.
  7. Medium shot, journalists
  8. SOUNDBITE (English) - Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We are trying to address the situation before it becomes extremely bad”.
  9. Close up, hands
  10. SOUNDBITE (English) - Jens Laerke, Spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “It’s an outbreak that is covering East Africa, the Horn of Africa. It has also been noted in Southwest Asia and the Red Sea, is the worst of its kind in 25 years for Ethiopia and Somalia – and it is also the worst Kenya has seen for 70 years. The impacts in these countries are particularly acute as pastures and crops are being wiped out in communities that were already facing food shortages”.
  11. Close up, hands typing
  12. Medium shot, journalists
  13. Medium shot, journalist

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.