COVID-19 measures worsen abuse and hunger in North Korea, Human Rights Council hears
Measures taken by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus have exacerbated human rights violations and socio-economic hardship, a UN-appointed independent rights expert told the Human rights Council on Wednesday.
"The isolation of the DPRK during the COVID-19 pandemic means the isolation of ordinary people who are already subject to patterns of serious human rights violations," Special Rapporteur, Tomás Ojea Quintana said.
Addressing the Geneva-based forum on the situation in North Korea, he said that the DPRK “continues to strictly enforce its anti-epidemic measures”, highlighting that unconfirmed reports that the authorities have authorised the police to shoot on sight "at any person attempting to cross the country's borders”.
The country has yet to report confirmed cases of COVID-19. Since last year it imposed the closure of its borders, bans on most international travel and severely restricted travel within the country.
According to the Special Rapporteur – an independent expert appointed by the Council for a three-year unpaid mandate - “several cases of severe punishment against those breaking anti-epidemic prevention measures have been reported by media”.
These prolonged measures have also resulted in “a drastic decline in trade and commercial activities and severe economic hardship to the general population, causing increased food insecurity”.
Instead of a peaceful end to the conflict on the Korean peninsula, “humanitarian operations inside the country have nearly come to a halt, only three international humanitarian workers currently remain inside the country, and diplomatic presence has drastically reduced”.
Given these conditions, the independent expert highlighted the importance of providing entry points and authorising access to the country, including the UN-partnered equitable vaccine-distribution initiative, COVAX.
“According to the WHO (World Health Organization), the DPR Korea had tested 13,259 people for COVID-19, and all the results were negative partly due to the Government’s proactive efforts on prevention,” he said. “The Government applied to join the COVAX scheme, a welcome approach to international cooperation. The country is expected to receive 1,992,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford Vaccine in the first half of 2021 under this initiative.”
Mr. Quintana maintained that it was time for the Security Council to decide on the referral of the DPRK situation to the International Criminal Court.
There was no response from DPRK, which was absent from the discussion.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS
World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response
1
1
1
Edited News | UN WOMEN
Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women
Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD
A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP
Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA
Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard
Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO
Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?
That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.