Gaza - Israel war 7 October 2025 - OCHA - UNICEF - WHO
/
3:31
/
MP4
/
259.2 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , WHO

Gaza - Israel war 7 October 2025 - OCHA - UNICEF - WHO

Two years of Gaza-Israel war bring ‘indescribable’ pain: UN humanitarians

Two years since the Hamas-led terror attacks on Israel, UN humanitarians on Tuesday reiterated calls for the release of all hostages in Gaza, an immediate ceasefire and an aid surge to alleviate Palestinians’ suffering, as talks on a US-driven peace plan continued in Egypt.

“The pain is indescribable” on the anniversary of the “abhorrent” attacks, said UN relief chief Tom Fletcher, in a statement shared with media in Geneva by UN aid coordination office (OCHA) spokesperson Jens Laerke.

“I renew my call for the unconditional, immediate release of all the hostages – and until then, they must be treated humanely,” Mr. Fletcher’s statement continued. “Civilians everywhere have to be protected.”

Mr. Fletcher underscored the fact that since 7 October 2023 tens of thousands of Palestinians have been killed and “hundreds of thousands endure starvation and displacement”.

More than 1,250 Israelis and foreign nationals were killed in the attacks while more than 250 others were taken hostage. More than 66,000 Palestinians have subsequently been killed in the war in Gaza according to local health authorities.

The UN relief chief also renewed calls for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and for humanitarian aid to “flow freely at the scale needed”.

Highlighting the continuing obstacles to aid delivery, OCHA’s Mr. Laerke said that over the past two years, out of more than 8,000 requests for humanitarian missions inside Gaza where coordination with the Israeli authorities was needed, 45 per cent were denied or impeded en route.

The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) also noted that teams in Gaza are still waiting for a green light to fetch incubators and ventilators for premature babies evacuated from the north of the Strip.

“We've managed to move [the babies] to another facility when the hospital they were in needed to be evacuated, but we haven't managed to move the incubators… it's been denied so far,” said spokesperson Ricardo Pires.

The go-ahead “to move our convoys to pick up those incubators [is] not being given because of safety and military operations happening on the ground”, Mr. Pires explained.

“One in every five [children] born in Gaza is born premature without the infrastructure to receive them and keep them safe and alive,” he stressed. “We're talking about children sharing oxygen masks in order to stay alive.”

The UNICEF spokesperson went on to say that 61,000 children have reportedly been either killed or maimed “since the horrors Hamas unleashed in Israel and what followed after the disproportionate response from Israel, that is still ongoing”.

“That's an average of one child either killed or maimed every 17 minutes,” he said, “an unacceptable, staggering figure”.

Mr. Pires deplored the fact that children have been “suffering in their bodies and their minds for way too long”, traumatized and “exposed to horrors that no child should ever have to look at or live”.

Famine and malnutrition are part of daily life in Gaza and World Health Organization (WHO) spokesperson Christian Lindmeier recalled that over half a million people are trapped in the famine in Gaza, as per the latest UN-backed Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) report in August. He said that “640,000 people [are] facing catastrophic levels of food insecurity” and that WHO has verified 400 malnutrition-related deaths, including those of 101 children.

“We know that most indicators are worsening,” said UNICEF’s Mr. Pires, warning that the famine that was declared in Gaza City “is slowly moving to the South as more people get displaced, leaving what is now again a combat zone”.

Referring to the peace plan put forward by US President Donald Trump, which has been the object of negotiations in Egypt for a second day straight, Mr. Pires welcomed “the plans by the US Government which bring a glimpse of hope to the region and to civilians and children in Gaza, that a better future is ahead”.

His words echoed those of UN Secretary-General António Guterres who, in a statement on Monday, said that the recent proposal by the US President “presents an opportunity to that must be seized to bring this tragic conflict to an end”.

-Ends-

STORY Gaza-Israel war 7 October 2025 OCHA – UNICEF - WHO

TRT: 3:31”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 7 OCTOBER 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Two years on since Hamas and other armed groups carried out those abhorrent attacks in Israel, the pain is indescribable. Today, I renew my call for the unconditional, immediate release of all the hostages – and until then, they must be treated humanely. Civilians everywhere have to be protected.”

4. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Tens of thousands of Palestinians have been killed. Hundreds of thousands endure starvation and displacement. So we renew the call for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, for all civilians to be protected, and for humanitarian aid to flow freely at the scale needed.”

6. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, spokesperson, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “We had over 20 babies in the north in incubators because they were born prematurely, which is happening a lot in Gaza now. One in every five child who's born in Gaza is born premature without the infrastructure to receive them and keep them safe and alive.”

8. Medium shot: Journalists in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, spokesperson, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “We've managed to move them to another facility when the hospital they were on needed to be evacuated, but we haven't managed to move the incubators so they can again be placed in those incubators to stay warm and with enough oxygen to stay alive, and those incubators and those ventilators are the ones we're trying to move and it's been denied so far.”

10. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, spokesperson, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “61,000 children have reportedly been either killed or maimed since the horrors Hamas unleashed in Israel and what followed after the disproportionate response from Israel, that is still ongoing. That's an average of one child either killed or maimed every 17 minutes. This is an unacceptable, staggering figure that we still have to live with today. Children have been suffering in their bodies and their minds for way too long.”

12. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Christian Lindmeier, spokesperson, World Health Organization (WHO): “Over half a million people trapped in the famine in Gaza as per the latest IPC analysis of August, with 640,000 people facing catastrophic levels of food insecurity. That's the IPC phase five. 400 malnutrition related deaths, including 101 children.”

14. Medium shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screen.

15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, spokesperson, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “We know that most indicators are worsening and famine that was concentrated in Gaza City and was declared in Gaza City is slowly moving to the South as more people get displaced, leaving what is now again a combat zone.”

16. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

17. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ricardo Pires, spokesperson, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF): “We call for a cease-fire. We welcome the plans by the US government which bring a glimpse of hope to the region and to civilians and children in Gaza, that a better future is ahead.”

18. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.


Audio Files 1
Download Gaza - Israel war 7 October 2025 - OCHA - UNICEF - WHO (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office has published a report on the grave human rights abuses suffered by the hundreds of thousands of people trafficked into scam operations mostly in southeast Asia. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report ENG FRA

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Marta Hurtado briefed journalists on a UN report detailing child trafficking by gangs and how it is putting Haiti’s future at risk. 

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO ENG FRA

Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians

Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.